Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Bay Area Railfanning Suggestions

Date: 04/10/05 17:32
Bay Area Railfanning Suggestions
Author: AndyD

I'll be in the Bay Area during the first week of May visiting friends, and since they'll be working during the day, I plan to take at least a couple days to railfan the area.

I've been through on the Starlight and the Zephyr, but I've never explored the area, so if anyone has suggestions for places to see (and directions for how to get there), I'd gladly accept them. I'd like to at least hit Pinole, Martinez, Jack London Square, and possbly the Alviso/Drawbridge area. I've picked up a Thomas Guide for the Bay Area so I shouldn't have too much trouble with directions.

Date: 04/10/05 18:07
Re: Bay Area Railfanning Suggestions
Author: zephyrus

All good places. The San Jose Depot can be interesting as well. Amtrak, CalTrain, ACE and the Capitols all go through or terminate there, plus UP runs through trains and locals through the depot. Plus, in a few weeks, the new light rail line which passes under the depot will begin test runs.

Santa Clara Depot is also a nice spot, with much the same mix of traffic, plus a restored tower and 140 year old depot. Both are maintained by some very nice folks and the depot is open for viewing on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

I also like the long bridge at Benecia on the old Santa Fe. You can park in the lot for the county park and then hike to either side of the short tunnel just west of the trestle.

And be sure to check out the Niles Canyon Railway and the Rio Vista museum if you've never been there.

Z

Date: 04/10/05 18:47
Author: Steam2k

zephyrus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All good places. The San Jose Depot can be
> interesting as well. Amtrak, CalTrain, ACE and
> the Capitols all go through or terminate there,
> plus UP runs through trains and locals through the
> depot. Plus, in a few weeks, the new light rail
> line which passes under the depot will begin test
> runs.
>
> Santa Clara Depot is also a nice spot, with much
> the same mix of traffic, plus a restored tower and
> 140 year old depot. Both are maintained by some
> very nice folks and the depot is open for viewing
> on Tuesdays and Saturdays.
>
> I also like the long bridge at Benecia on the old
> Santa Fe. You can park in the lot for the county
> park and then hike to either side of the short
> tunnel just west of the trestle.
>
> And be sure to check out the Niles Canyon Railway
> and the Rio Vista museum if you've never been
> there.
>
> Z

The Niles Canyon Railway is running steam the first 2 Sundays in May. For more info, check the site @ http://www.ncry.org

Date: 04/11/05 11:38
Author: bobs

Note that for Pinole, at least for viewing from above it, there is now a fence to deal with by the BNSF tracks. Too bad, as that was an excellent spot before the fence was put up last year.

Date: 04/11/05 15:54
Author: n8oay

I have several locations in the San Francisco Bay area documented with maps on my web page at http://www.railfanswelcome.com

Dave
n8oayscan@woh.rr.com

Date: 04/11/05 21:38
Author: JimBaker

San Jose VTA Light Rail has been testing their new Vasona (Campbell) line since February. It basically parallels the Los Gatos branch which the Permanente locals use to Kaiser Cement.
I do not know the opening date of the new service.

--Jim Baker

Date: 04/11/05 23:01
Author: calhog

Santa Clara is a good spot, but most of it is Caltrain action. Niles Junction is also good, and if you don't mind driving a bit, Stockton, where the old tower used to be, is great. Have fun.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0399 seconds