Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > on the way to Esperanza..

Date: 05/19/05 20:34
on the way to Esperanza..
Author: 3rdswitch

down in the "trench" [Alameda Corridor] today meeting a westbound BNSF lite engine and overtaking a s-l-o-w eastbound UP lite engine [for some reason? we were both on clear and approach signals?], enroute to Esperanza to bring a "staged" MAERSK train back to the Port.
JB

Date: 05/19/05 20:42
Re: on the way to Esperanza..

On arrival at Esperanza and searching for our train [it was "supposed" to be tied down at ENGINE SPOT 1 sans locomotives, but was really at ENGINE SPOT 4, a couple of miles east], a westbound METROLINK passed on the "horseshoe" curve at Esperanza. As explanation, the ENGINE SPOT's are designated by signs at various locations between PRADO DAM and ESPERANZA to park the trains with the locomotives in the area that will least affect out "neighbors".
JB

Date: 05/19/05 20:43

While performing the required "terminal air test", a westbound Z train passed MP 32.
JB

Date: 05/19/05 20:45

Also, during the "test" [a lengthy process that involves walking the train in each direction to determine brakes both set and release on this 7,348 foot long train] an eastbound METROLINK passed. The "canyon" is green and full of color from all the spring rains in So Cal.
JB

Date: 05/19/05 20:48
Re: on the BACK.

On the return westbound trip, a view of Fullerton station from a different point of view.
JB

Date: 05/19/05 20:54

The "train" being tested at Esperanza. Three "shuttle" job small switch engines did a good job of bringing the 7,300 ton train west until the GP30 died! We BARELY made it into the "trench" making 6 mph around the curve at CP REDONDO!
JB

Date: 05/19/05 21:20
Author: myoungwisc

JB,

Great series of shots...too bad I missed you guys today. Would have been a great shot along Orangethorpe/Esperanza with those EMD's.

Martin

Date: 05/19/05 21:21
Author: sd75mac

Hey 3rd, was Charlie running with you on this run?

Harold

Date: 05/19/05 21:59
Locomotive Management Question
Author: wlj619

So how does the engineer keep tabs on the temperatures, pressures, etc on the second and third units in a consist.

When you say that a unit died, does that mean it overheated and you had to shut it down
And if so, how did you know it overheated?

Walter Johnson

Date: 05/20/05 06:45
Author: soolinehoghead

Nice stuff Joe.

I know I'm kind of "old school", but I'd take those three little monsters you had over a lash-up of "Techno Toasters" any day. On top of simply preferring to run the older power, you just gotta love having that Prime heater in front of you to put your feet up on during the airtest while you're studying your rulebook. <grin>

Wow, has that Santa Ana Canyon area changed in the last 10 years!! Am I correct in assuming you're parked just east of, or near the FED west of the golf course?

I remember shooting W/B's off the road bridge that's just west of where you guys were parked (I can't temember the long-winded name of it now though) when it was single track through there, there was no shopping mall or buildings on the south side, and the housing development up on the hill on the north side was only just getting started and had only a few houses up there. Sure looks strange with the triple-track, concrete ties, and such.

Progress, times change, or just ETTS? Take your pick, I guess.

Soo Line Hoghead

Date: 05/20/05 10:49

Yes, SOO, the FED is about four stacks back. The older power is cool except for the NOISE!! I am NOT used to the NOISE. When I'm on the 711 job, I keep the lead unit isolated almost all day, and on these new "shuttle" jobs, it is mostly newer stuff. With the third unit down, the 2 GP39's kept the 7,400 ft 7,300 ton train moving, although we were down to 18 through Santa Fe Springs and 6 at CP HARBOR JCT, and, in run 8 all the time. No, Charles is still on the 711 job where he will most likely stay until retirement, what with his MOBIL OIL obsession and all. Normally, there is an alarm bell that rings when a unit trips a ground fault, overheats, dies, etc, this units alarm bell was not working and did not transfer through the MU to the lead unit, and, since we never stopped from Esperanza until we arrived CP Sepulveda [VERY UNUSUAL!] even though I suspected a unit was not working, I could not go check it out, and, since we never stalled, the crew also never checked it out.
JB

Date: 05/20/05 18:52
Author: pdt

Thx for ther photos...especially the one in the trench.

It's been a while since I've been to SoCal...When do these
"shuttles" run?, and always to same place?

Nice to see that old power out on the road, at least for
photos sake. Does it happen very often?
How many "switchers" are kept at Watson on average, anyway?

As for the noise, at least you're not working with PHL power.
Do their SW1200's still have the old 24RL (?) brakestands?

Thx again for the pix

pdt

Date: 05/21/05 10:00

The "shuttle" jobs are a first for BNSF [as far as I know] as they are a local agreement and are only two man YARD jobs [an engineer and a yard foreman] that are paid at a higher daily rate than a normal yard job. They can pick up or deliver a train anywhere between the Ports and Prado Dam with many restrictions as to exactly what they can and can not do. One of the reasons I went on this job is to keep a close eye on what they have us do. So far I have put in four special claims for additional days pay for violating the agreement. And, they do not go to Esperanza on a regular basis. That is why the photos. In the three weeks I have been on this job, this is the first time "I" have left the port area.
JB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0791 seconds