Home Open Account Help 231 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Coal train derailment in Glenwood Canyon

Date: 06/25/05 14:49
Coal train derailment in Glenwood Canyon
Author: lowwater

UP Glenwood Springs (CO) Sub, east end of x-D&RGW Allen Siding. So far only report is from my daughter eastbound I-70, at the Bair Ranch crossing/I-70 rest area, 10-15 cars accordioned, "coal everywhere."

Scanner silent!

More later I'm sure.

lowwater

Date: 06/25/05 15:10
Re: Coal train derailment in Glenwood Canyon
Author: RioGrandeFan

So no idea of when this happened? Did #6 make it by before it happened? The Amtrak site showed that #6 was due in at 10:30pm to Denver but then changed to say "Service Disruption". I know that #5 made it by the derailment. Before the Amtrak site changed it showed #5 as arrived in Glenwood Springs.

Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 06/25/05 15:33
Author: lowwater

About 18 cars, Amtrak #6 stuck, Denver passengers to be bused, rest to stay on the train for at least a while, so I presume if it's not at the Glenwood depot it's being backed there.

All I know at the moment.

lowwater

Date: 06/25/05 16:02
Author: drgw

lowwater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> About 18 cars, Amtrak #6 stuck, Denver passengers
> to be bused, rest to stay on the train for at
> least a while, so I presume if it's not at the
> Glenwood depot it's being backed there.

Thankfully #6 wasn't (apparently) waiting at East Allen for the coal train to come in for a meet!...
-Wes

Date: 06/25/05 18:49
Author: KoloradoKid

Coal loads go East, just like Amtrak 6. No doubt coal train was heading for Range siding for the over take. DS80 was heard stating that the mainline at Allen is out of service. They may be able to get somthing past on the siding, but I can't say for sure as I am 100 miles away.

This derailment is same spot they dumped two cars and the rear remote a year ago. Hmmmmm!

KK

Date: 06/25/05 19:42
Author: upkpfan

lowwater,
Wasn't there a derailment earlier this week on this line? I believe it was early Tue. morning. A couple cars of soda ash and ?? upkpfan

Date: 06/25/05 19:54

upkpfan Wrote:
> lowwater,
> Wasn't there a derailment earlier this week on
> this line? I believe it was early Tue. morning. A
> couple cars of soda ash and ?? upkpfan

Marv-
I'll answer for Bruce so he can keep napping <g>...
Actually, maybe he went to see the derailment for himself; He doesn't live that far away.
You are correct, there was a four-car derailment on Tuesday at (or near--I never did hear the exact location, or a cause for that matter) Azure. Azure is about 61 miles east by rail. I never heard much about that cleanup--I don't think it was very railfan-accessible.
Hope this helps!
-Wes

Date: 06/25/05 21:54
Author: mundo

SIX buses are now transporting all passengers from train 6 to Denver.

Passengers remain overnight, and board the equipment from train 5 to go east.

Train 5 passengers will board buses to take them to Glenwood
to board train 6 Q, which will operate as train 5.

Date: 06/25/05 22:01

mundo Wrote:
> SIX buses are now transporting all passengers
> from train 6 to Denver.
>
> Passengers remain overnight, and board the
> equipment from train 5 to go east.
>
> Train 5 passengers will board buses to take them
> to Glenwood
> to board train 6 Q, which will operate as train 5.

Mundo-
Any idea whether they are going to wye the train at Glenwood, or just run the power around the train and run the passenger consist backwards (which would assume they have a unit facing west to put in the lead), or perhaps run the power around and run it backwards with a UP unit on the point. Wying would make the most sense, but none of us on the DRGW list can figure out for sure whether UP retains rights on the wye and part of the Aspen Branch since it was sold.
Thanks for any/all info!
-Wes

Date: 06/25/05 22:33
West Elk Load
Author: cozephyr

The 104-car West Elk Mine, CO, load C WEPAH 23 derailed about 18 cars around 2:00 PM on June 25, 2005. UP 6509 and 7516 were on the point. DPU's were UP 6571 and 6172 with rear DPU's 6825 and 6610. No locomotives involved. This train typically goes east via East St. Louis, IL.

Date: 06/25/05 23:41
Author: wzd

Any idea when the derailment will be cleaned up to where Amtrak will be able to get through - I was going to ride the Milw PVs from Reno to the Bay Area on Monday. Thanks.

Date: 06/26/05 18:26
Author: KoloradoKid

First eastbound out of Grand Junction may have been the Macaroni (M-RONY) which departed about 1030 this morning with a coal load about 1130. Heard a westbound arrive about 1800 hours, but that may have not been the first. I was out of range for a while.

KK

Date: 06/26/05 20:48
Author: RioGrandeFan

Private cars are sitting in Denver with a departure tomorrow morning (6/27) on #5. Arrival in California on Tuesday.

I had heard that a rock slide caused the derailment. Is this official? I also heard that it was cleared around 2pm today (6/26).

#6 for tonight's (6/26) arrival in Denver is showing 10:10pm. On time is 6:58pm.

Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0419 seconds