Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Niles Canyon Railway Question

Date: 07/06/05 16:24
Niles Canyon Railway Question
Author: TheButcherofBena

After viewing some fine photos taken from the 4th of July activities, I'm wondering if there's been any consideration towards running some sort of railfan photog's day and charging admission to the public. Based on some of the pictures I've seen, what with the scenery and the new equipment additions, it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to generate interest and possibly generate additional revenue?

Date: 07/06/05 16:32
Re: Niles Canyon Railway Question
Author: DaveE

The one problem I can see is that the ROW over which they run is easily accessible from Hwy 84, which runs through Niles Canyon. Other than allowing people to shoot in the yard area at Brightside, the rest of the ROW is pretty wide open. I think it might be a bit hard to charge people to shoot from areas that they can get to pretty easily on their own.

DaveE

Date: 07/06/05 17:11
Author: NormSchultze

It is doable. The Texas State RR has had 3 successful railfan daze, and most of the line is easily accessible from public property. Most, not all. That, a good B-B-Que and a nite session make the difference. Been to them all, enjoyed it and can't wait for the next one.

Date: 07/06/05 17:26
Author: danf

I think that including lunch (perhaps a BBQ), photo run-bys at innaccesable locations, and perhaps the night photography idea is what would make the difference as well. That's pretty much what they did for the PLA Member's Day last weekend. That was a lot of fun. Maybe they'll do something like that again. I don't persoanlly know since I'm not involved in that aspect of the club.

Date: 07/06/05 17:37
Author: samreeves

It would be good idea. But the PLA should make a catch to combat the freeloaders. A certain number of tickets should sell before they run the train.

Date: 07/06/05 18:36
Author: Beancounter

We have some plans for railfan type runs in the future. All of these things take time and planing.Stay tuned and Dan or I will let you know.
Beancounter

Date: 07/06/05 23:04
Author: PullmanPorter

It's an excellent operation, and I'd gladly pay for a railfan special day. Heck, I'd be happy just to have the diesels facing west for the better light.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0371 seconds