Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > marionberry/Marion Berry NRHS Convention

Date: 07/09/05 16:13
marionberry/Marion Berry NRHS Convention
Author: jdb

I thought I had prepared myself to answer any question about the Pacific Northwest, Oregon, and Portland at the NRHS Convention. Early in the week I was blindsided with "Where can I buy marionberry jam?" The only place that I could remember seeing it was at the Made in Oregon stores and at the time the question was first asked I didn't know where the closest one to the Doubletree was. I was asked several more times during the week and I was getting real puzzeled how somebody from the east coast knew about a local product from my home area, Salem, Marion County, Oregon. If the question was about history, geology, or transportation, OK, but a jam? This AM I found out that they were buying it and taking it home in honor of the mayor (ex?) of Washington D.C. And at least some of the people thought it was a recently made up product that was a jab at Mr. Berry and a chance to make some money off of his recent problems. Not a product that was developed almost 50 years ago at Oregon State University.

(The most asked question was how to use MAX and marionberry jam was high on the list after that)

This afternoon I stopped by the Made in Oregon store at the Lloyd Center (closest store to the Doubletree) and talked to the folks. They knew about the railroad convention and all week they have seen people coming in the store asking for marionberry jam. Looking for that specifically and they had never made the connection.

jb

Date: 07/09/05 16:45
Re: marionberry/Marion Berry NRHS Convention
Author: roustabout

Winco has "Americ'a Northwest" brand jams, made in Dundee, OR. Good stuff!

Date: 07/09/05 17:30
Author: bobs

His problems aren't so recent as they are continual. He was having "issues" back in the 80s when I lived outside of DC.

Date: 07/09/05 18:38
Author: cota1992

He is still having problems and is back in office on the council...
About had a heart attack when I read the thread title!
Glad it's about jam...
Art in DC

Date: 07/09/05 22:03
Author: J-1Hudson

The Marionberry pie my wife and I had on the Tuesday Lewis & Clark Explorer convention trip was almost to die for. As a result, we had several samples of MB syrup and preserves shipped to us in San Jose.

We both grew up in Washington, DC and have been calling the product Marionbarry for years. As to the person, he fits right in with the ethics and morals of the D.C political ruling class. You know-the ones who are stealing my (our) Social Security trust fund?

Hal

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0331 seconds