Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Curious Survey...EMD or GE?

Date: 07/09/05 23:13
Curious Survey...EMD or GE?
Author: trainman_47

Now that both models have been out on the road for awhile, Im curious. Whats your favorite? The New SD-70Ace or the New Gevo? I like them both BUT...since U.P has taken delivery of there SDs I'll have to lean towards the EMD model. Something about THAT paint scheme sure makes em look neat! Comments welcome....RHS

Date: 07/09/05 23:16
Re: Curious Survey...EMD or GE?
Author: alex14ramos

trainman_47 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now that both models have been out on the road for
> awhile, Im curious. Whats your favorite? The New
> SD-70Ace or the New Gevo? I like them both
> BUT...since U.P has taken delivery of there SDs
> I'll have to lean towards the EMD model. Something
> about THAT paint scheme sure makes em look neat!
> Comments welcome....RHS

Good question, I personally like the ACe better than the GEVO. ; - )

Date: 07/09/05 23:23
Author: Steamjocky

I haven't been on an SD70ace yet but if they are anything like the SD70s we have now, my vote will go to the EMD. I'm not a real big fan of GEs or ACs for that matter. I just hope the EMD AC unit rides better than a GP60 or an SD80/90. But, if it acts just like any other AC locomotive, which I'm sure it will, I probably wouldn't care for either one.

I'm sorry, but I just can't get use to these video screens. I think they're a pain in the butt. Give me analog gauges any day! They are much easier to see and read.

steamjocky

Date: 07/10/05 00:43
Author: MrMRL

BNSF ES44AC
MRL SD70ACE

My AC favorites!

Robby F. (Mr. MRL)

Date: 07/10/05 02:50
Author: Red

As a UP hogger, I have yet to have either one, but understand that both are fine-running models. The SD70M is my favorite model on the roster.

As for looks, I prefer the GEVO. Why? Because the SD70M, to me, is the finest looking (as well as finest running) unit on the roster. And, it looks unabashedly like an EMD. While the SD70ACe has a lot going for it, as for looks, it attempts to LOOK like the GEVO. What is it with the rectangular windshields, which offer less visibility, don't LOOK as good, and, look like a GE knock-off? The GEVO conforms to GE tradition, and represents an evolution of the GE line. The SD70ACe looks as if it is pretending to be something that it is not.

I have ranted and raved about the loss of the classic "teardrop" windshields found on FP45's, SDP40F's, late-model SD60M's, The UP Centennials, and, the SD70MAC's and SD70M's. Sure...the paint makes this unit looks good, in the UP colors. It could have been BEAUTIFUL (and given me better visibility) had it retained the EMD classic windshields. So...I'm resigned to trying to accept the engines as they appear.

I like the fact that on the UPRR, they have reverted to the AAR/BLE standard control stand combined with a "mini-desk" (as was the case with the last UP SD70M's, UP5127--5231) on both the GEVO's and the SD70ACe's. Strangely, the BNSF GEVO's appear to be the only ones that have retained the desktop control stands...I guess it's a parts commonality thing, or something, even though, ironically, BNSF was the first one to be making noises a couple of years ago about reverting to the AAR control stand.

I hope that perhaps the Canadian National SD70M-2's will have the teardrop windows. If anybody does it, they will (recall that they even special ordered this windshield on their GE Dash Nines). If the CN units come stock...then I guess the teardrop windshield will be gone forever, and to me, that's a sad thing.

I wish I could give you a direct comparison between the two's operating characteristics, but have yet to get one of either. On my last trip, I DID finally get the UP5144, one of the last of the SD70M's, with the AAR control stand, and I found it to be a true "Cadillac".

I HAVE seen some beautiful photographs of the SD70ACe's, however, and can understand why some would really like them. I'm just trying to get over the loss of the teardrops. Maybe I can get over it if I somehow compare them to the F40PH...I ended up loving them...and, they lacked teardrop windows...although they were not completely rectangular.

Date: 07/10/05 06:36
Author: Nbetween

Have'nt had a EMD unit , I enjoy the ES44 whatever the hell it is , they are very quiet in the cab in max throttle. Thats all i care about ( and a clean crapper ). I had a EMD in my consist once . Bran new and i could tell those dyno's GRAB the rail. Other than that everyone will like what they run on the most.

Date: 07/10/05 16:19
Author: Yardmaster

I've had both and the GEVO is better than the ACe in my opinion. Though GE's are typically slow loaders, the GEVOs seem to fast load on throttle up. Another plus, The GEVO's have 120V AC outlets! The dynamic works better than the ACe too.

Yarddog

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0831 seconds