Home Open Account Help 194 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Are there any famous railfans?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/08/01 08:00
Are there any famous railfans?
Author: cjvrr

Just out of curiosity, are there any famous people that are railfans? I know Gary Coleman was a model railroader, but are there any in the photography or excursion side of the hobby?

I seem to remember someone, not sure who, that had bought a shortline possibly 5-10 years back (possibly the actor who portrayed the father on Family Ties). Does he still own it?

Date: 11/08/01 08:04
RE: Are there any famous railfans?
Author: Conductor_Bear

Michael Gross, Was (and is still ) a 10% owner of the Santa Fe southern, where I held my first RR job. He was a really nice guy and would come out and help to run the RR.
Other famous railfans include Neil Young . I know of some others, but cant remember them right now.

I have heard Marilyn Manson (who ever he really is ) is also a railfan, though if that were true, wouldn't be getting any cab ride on my train.

Date: 11/08/01 08:11
Elvis sighting...
Author: tmengineman

I saw Elvis out at the tracks the other night, does he count?

Date: 11/08/01 08:26
RE: Elvis sighting...
Author: cdub

Supposedly, Billy Bob Thornton (Carl in "Slingblade", mmmmm, them french fried potaters is good, Primary Colors, many other movies) is a railfan and is a frequent lawnchair visitor to Cajon Pass.

Date: 11/08/01 08:47
Author: rbx551985

Does a writer with the Washington Post count? Don Phillips gets my vote, if it does.

I saw an interview with Star Trek star Patrick Stewart, and he revealed he's "a big railway buff." When the Star Trek movie "First Contact" had a scene filmed at Los Angeles Union Station (the dance scene on the Holodeck with Alfre Woodard) he was said to be just in his element during the entire location shoot. I would be, too!

Another famous Star Trek star is REALLY into trains, both model and real. James Doohan, "Scotty" on the original 'Trek, is a member of, I believe, an L.A. area prototype and/or model railroad club (NRHS???) There was a photo of him in a TV Guide several years ago, working under a coach, and he appeared to be enjoying himself. It was stated he has a terrific collection of scale models.

Whoopie Goldberg (also of Trek, but of course much more), is said to have model trains in N Scale.

So does talk show host Sally Jesse Raphael.

Kevin Costner is said to be quite the railfan, and there is a recent rumor floating around that HE was one of the people that the C&O 614 people WANTED to give the locomotive to (of course for the right price). Obviously, that hasn't happened yet.

The late Walt Disney is probably the single most famous railfan who ever lived. There are entire published books relating details of his affair with trains, and how they always inspired him---especially with his plans for Disney Land and Disney World.

I'm sure there are plenty of other "celebrity railfans," and many of them might just be as enthusiastic as the rest of us about the industry. The fact they are considered "celebrities" is just some other facit of their lives to them (their regular job, as it were). I wonder how many of them read Trainorders.com?

Anyone else know of more famous names associated with trains?

Date: 11/08/01 08:52
Author: zephyrus

Ian Anderson, leader of the band Jethro Tull, is a huge railbuff. Several Tull songs have included references to trains, including "Raising Steam" and, of course, "Locomotive Breath".

I don't know how big a fan he is, but Chuck Yeager has visited the Portola Railroad Museum several times and was a member for a while. He ran the WP 921 at least once and reportedly enjoyed the heck out of it.

Date: 11/08/01 08:57
Jerry Garcia.....................
Author: hawkeye

of the Greatful Dead. They had a song about Casey Jones "driving that train, high on cocaine."

Date: 11/08/01 09:02
Author: platteville

Ill agree with the Whoopie Goldberg comment. Last November, almost a year ago exactly, she was a passenger on the eastbound Capitol Limited out of Chicago to Washington D.C. It was the talk of our train. I wish i wouldve known about the N Scale, we could have chatted. Any famous people on Trainorders here?

Date: 11/08/01 09:08
Author: mikeyjoe

Frank Sinatra
Niel Young
Gary Coleman

Date: 11/08/01 09:24
Author: surflinerhogger

Jonathan Winters used to be a semi-regular at the Santa Barbara depot. Showed him the cab one one time. He told me that he'd spend the whole day there sometimes. A real buff.

Date: 11/08/01 10:02
Author: sharpshooter

A while back I saw a biography on Frank Sinatra and he had a very extensive collection of model trains that he was said to enjoy running. It also showed an old caboose on his property in Palm Springs.

Date: 11/08/01 10:08
Author: DocJones

Let's not forget Ward Kimball, famous Disney Cartoonist and member of the Firehouse Five + 2 Dixieland band. His collection of toy trains is as legendary as the man himself. He also had a couple of full-size narrow-guage steam locomotives on his property. Some or all of that equipment has been relocated to the Orange Empire Railroad Museum in Perris, CA.
Have fun, be safe
Doc Jones

Date: 11/08/01 10:12
Rod Stewart...n/m
Author: kenw

Date: 11/08/01 10:24
RE: WENT THRU THIS 2 WEEKS AGO!
Author: oldrail

Where were you? This was well covered about 2 weeks ago. Read back threads.

Date: 11/08/01 10:31
Author: samreeves

Retired San Francisco Giants broadcaster Hank Greenwald is a big fan. His autobiography shows pix of his models at home, and trips abroad on many passenger trains.

Date: 11/08/01 11:01
Author: robert

I don't think it was on this board but on another. Probably posted by the same person though.

Date: 11/08/01 11:11
Author: cjvrr

No, I did not see it in the search I did. Sorry if re-hashes an old post, nothing worse than that.

I definitely haven't asked this anywhere else either, this is pretty much the only railroad board I know.

Thanks to all for the answers.

Chris

Date: 11/08/01 11:42
Author: calhog

I heard that when Jesse Ventura took over the Governor's office in Minnesota, he said he wanted some pictures of trains on the wall because he liked trains. But I don't know if that qualifies him as being a fan.

Date: 11/08/01 11:57
Billy Bob
Author: jch9596

I'm not sure if this is still so, though after 9/11, one could guess, but Billy Bob Thornton loathes flying. In fact, he takes Amtrak everywhere, incl. L.A. to New York. I saw David Letterman ask him about this once.

Joe H.

Date: 11/08/01 12:10
RE: Wad Stewart
Author: mikeyjoe

not the kind of train he likes.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0587 seconds