Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Up Employee Special Update-**LAS VEGAS**

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 08/02/05 15:28
Up Employee Special Update-**LAS VEGAS**
Author: vegasrails

Finally after much shoving and moving trains around by DS-7 who had problem power, problem switches just to name two of his many problems and a bit of waiting between Valley and Wann on the Calinte Sub for the Pax on board, the UP Employee Special arrived in Las Vegas at 1:00 PM PST.
With a Cement or gravel train having power problems, a switch not clearing, which sounded like two different switches and behind this a 7700 foot stack blocking the main DS-7 had his hand full. As well as clearing Main #3 for the special.
With a father and son working UP 1982 and friends sneaking in a bit of chit chat on the air it was an interesting thirty minutes. The train is presently parked at the crossbucks at the crew change point MP 333 of the Cima Sub
1st photo is UP 1982 waiting for the stack with in eye site in front of it to move. For the Passengers to view homeless encampments to the east, junk yards to the west. Taken from I-15 north over shot the exit.

Date: 08/02/05 15:31
Re: Up Employee Special Update-**LAS VEGAS**

As DS-7 finally gets things moving after starts and stops, I'm no Rail but I thought DS-7 did excellent work in the short amount of time. The stack blocking the mains (#1 and #2) finally gets moving a almost endless parade of Red, Blue and Green boxes (stacks)

Date: 08/02/05 15:34

With Main #1 clear and the stack a little over a quarter of a mile a now on Main #2. UP 1982 slowly climbs into Vegas on Main #1 at Milepost 336, with the Sheep Mountain Range in the far background.

Date: 08/02/05 15:36

I didn't count all the cars but the special had a number of them with the last one UP 103 Cheyenne, appearing to be empty of any passengers bringing up the rear.

Date: 08/02/05 15:39

As the trainmaster waits for the crew to exit the engine for a photo op. No government officals, the Mayor isn't here. If you look closely at the cowcatcher one of the local inhabitants of the desert didn't get out of the way in time. (Those members of TO with small children or animal rights groups, I suggest you don't open this photo).

Date: 08/02/05 15:49

Sandwiched in between UP 1982 and a slightly dirty SD-70 is UP 1983. This end my little photo op, Bob and Randy chased this in from Meadow Valley Wash, so stay tune for more photos. Security is light but there is at least one officer on duty. Who BTW walked on to Main #1 without looking first. Hopefully he's survive the night. If the wind dies down, I make an effort for some evening photos...thanks for looking...Ken

Date: 08/02/05 15:55
Author: boomer

Ken, nice to see the special finally made its way down to Sin City - I will expect a photo on here tonight showing the train with the Rio tower in the background - gotta have my Rio fix! Thanks for the update.

Date: 08/02/05 16:22
Author: gobbl3gook

When is The Special coming back? No chance it will go through Nephi, is there?

Ted in Davis

Date: 08/02/05 16:54
Where is it parked? Which way are units facing?
Author: friscojoe

Will the units be in a good position for morning photography tomorrow?

Date: 08/02/05 18:03
Author: Waybiller

vegasrails Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As the trainmaster waits for the crew to exit the
> engine for a photo op. No government officals, the
> Mayor isn't here. If you look closely at the
> cowcatcher one of the local inhabitants of the
> desert didn't get out of the way in time. (Those
> members of TO with small children or animal rights
> groups, I suggest you don't open this photo).

Sad, looks like it hit a baby jackelope.

Date: 08/02/05 18:16
Author: brettrw

Waybiller Wrote:

>
> Sad, looks like it hit a baby jackelope.
>

Elmer Fudd was using the wrong weapon. No gun needed, just get a SD-70ace!!

Brett

Date: 08/02/05 18:28
Re: Up Employee Special Update-**LAS VEGAS** (more inf
Author: cimahill

The U.P. special was wyed at Arden about 17:00 and is now facing east on #3 track just east of the crew change office. The SD70M was taken off the train (at Arden i believe) The 1982 and 1983 really look great. There was a security guard watching the train but he was friendly and had no problems with me taking pictures.

Thank you to Union Pacific for implementing such a great program like the "Heritage Units".

Looking forward to the Rio Grande unit!

Kevin in LV

Date: 08/02/05 19:33
Author: Copy19

The plan is to have the WP unit lead on the EB return trip. After they get back to Council Bluffs, the WP will head west to Feather River country and the MOP will go east to Mo-Pac land. At least for a while. Katy is coming up in a couple of weeks.
JEB

Date: 08/02/05 19:41
For Copy 19
Author: SCAXEngr

John: Thanks for the update re the Heritage Units and the Special. Saw it today in the rain at Etna, NV and then in Las Vegas. Any hints on what the DRGW and SP heritage units will look like? Were T-shirts with the SP & DRGW SD70ACe's on them sold at the unveiling last Saturday? Any information appreciated.

Date: 08/02/05 20:37
Re: Where is it parked? Which way are units facing?

The train is set up well for morning photos. Enter off Main Street into the IceHouse parking lot, just drive to the back of the area into the dirt. You should be able to get some reasonable photos especially with the wind tonight it should be clearer tomorrow.

Date: 08/02/05 20:40
Author: ns-dash8

Will these units be able to pay back H/P hours to other railroads like NS or CSX??

Andrew

Date: 08/02/05 20:51
Author: midwest

Copy19 Wrote:
> The plan is to have the WP unit lead on the EB
> return trip. After they get back to Council
> Bluffs, the WP will head west to Feather River
> country and the MOP will go east to Mo-Pac land.
> At least for a while. Katy is coming up in a
> couple of weeks.
> JEB

John,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this special terminate in St. Louis? It sure would be nice to have the MoPac stay on the train and lead the special from Council Bluff to St. Louis on former MoPac territory. (Hint, Hint)

Thanks,

Midwest.

Date: 08/02/05 20:52
Author: NscaleMike

The train is scheduled to return on Friday...I will post my measley pics later...good shots Ken.

Mike

Date: 08/02/05 22:47
Return schedule
Author: gobbl3gook

>>The train is returning on Friday<<

Hmmm. I'll be doing the US 6 thing (Delta - Tintic) on Friday. Maybe if I leave early I'll catch it.

Thanks for info and pics!

Ted in Davis

Date: 08/02/05 23:52
My measley pics =)
Author: NscaleMike

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1582 seconds