Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Steam & Excursion > Steam Loco in Landcaster CA

Date: 10/27/05 08:40
Steam Loco in Landcaster CA
Author: africansteam

Attached are four photos of the 0-6-0 that was shiped to Landcaster. They were sent to me by my friend Chris Stark who provided the following information:

"This is the owner of 717 his name is Michael Vitale, He has some acerage off Ave G near Sierra Highway just north of Lancaster, he has other rolling stock there and he plans to this neat little 1947 Porter loco up and running.

The engine is now parked on the Chandler Lumber spur in Palmdale and will be loaded to a low boy tomorrow morning. One view shows Michael and the trucker measuring the Porter to make sure it will fit in the well of the trailer...it will."

Cheers,

Africansteam

Date: 10/27/05 08:41
Re: Steam Loco in Landcaster CA

Africansteam

Date: 10/27/05 08:41

Africansteam

Date: 10/27/05 08:42

Africansteam

Date: 10/27/05 08:52
Author: NormSchultze

Brooklyn Terminal ??

Date: 10/27/05 09:29
Author: CPRR

"This is the owner of 717 his name is Michael Vitale, He has some acerage off Ave G near Sierra Highway just north of Lancaster, he has other rolling stock there and he plans to this neat little 1947 Porter loco up and running."

You need a lot of acerage to do this. Not to mention cash. Not to mention liability insurance. And a secure place for the loco, so the local gangbangers can not destroy it.

Date: 10/27/05 10:27
Author: webmaster

His parcel is about 100 feet wide by 600 feet deep. It would be difficult to do much more than up and back. However, it would be a perfect place to play with his full size toys.

Todd

Date: 10/27/05 10:35
Author: espeeboy

D'oh! We just passed this spot on the detour San Joaquin Daylight Amtrak #11 on Sunday. This would have made for some nice roll-by photo subject scenery...

Date: 10/27/05 11:28
Author: roberthedgecock

Are you sure about the builders date 1947? I may be mistaken but I thought Porter built their last steam locomotive in 1946 Perhaps someone can clarify this?

Date: 10/27/05 12:18
Author: Nbetween

I can clarify that it is LANCASTER and not to many Gangbangers hanging around ave " G " waiting for this engine to show up. But good luck to money bags , you might need it when you go off one end of the spur or the other.

Date: 10/27/05 15:11
Author: Evan_Werkema

NormSchultze Wrote:

> Brooklyn Terminal ??

According to Wes Barris' http://www.steamlocomotive.com , it's ex-US Army Transportation Corps.

Date: 10/27/05 15:54
Author: nycman

Yeah, it's Lancaster, and steam has finally arrived there. I was a member of "Friends of Steam" which was trying to get ATSF 2921 from Modesto and rebuild her. Local politics killed that. Bet they wish they had done it now. No gang-bangers there? Read the Antelope Valley Press on line. Murder, rape, pillage. That's why I no longer live there.

Date: 10/27/05 18:38
Author: NorCalRailfan

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NormSchultze Wrote: Brooklyn Terminal ?> According to Wes Barris'
> http://wwwsteamlocomotive.com , it's ex-US Army Transportation Corps.

Hi:

I tried clicking Wes' link but I came up with a 404 Error Code. Has the site been having technical problems or does my ISP have a problem?
H.

Date: 10/27/05 18:43
Porter Date & Info Request
Author: NorCalRailfan

roberthedgecock Wrote:
> Are you sure about the builders date 1947? I may
> be mistaken but I thought Porter built their last
> steam locomotive in 1946 Perhaps someone can
> clarify this?

I too am miffed at the builders date. Although my Porter records are with my brother (and in storage, long story) AFAIK Porter stopped building steam in 1946. Could this wonderful example perhaps be an engine built for stock and then had a "new" builders number applied? Where did this engine originally operate and where did it come from (relative to this gentlemen's recent acquisition)?
H.

Date: 10/27/05 19:10
Re: Porter Date & Info Request
Author: btflco

Built by Porter 7/1942 and last ran in 1993. It does have issues but nothing that money can't fix. I believe it was sold in late 2003 and its is just now getting out here.

JB

Date: 10/27/05 19:52
Author: Evan_Werkema

NorCalRailfan Wrote:

> I tried clicking Wes' link but I came up with a
> 404 Error Code. Has the site been having technical
> problems or does my ISP have a problem?

Sorry, there should be a "dot" between www and steamlocomotive in the URL: http://www.steamlocomotive.com .

The locomotive is coming from the Bluegrass Railroad Museum in Versailles, KY (pronounced ver-SALES, from what I understand). The BGRM has a website, whose copied and pasted URL is: http://www.bgrm.org/ . If you click on the "BRGM News" tab, there's a page asking for photos of the 717 in-transit.

Date: 10/28/05 02:39
Author: dcbailey

Build date was July, 1942, C/N 7376

See: http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=1790

Date: 10/28/05 21:11
Author: ButteStBrakeman

africansteam Wrote:
> They were sent to me by my
> friend Chris Stark >

Africansteam ...How is Chis?? is he still working? I knew him for quite a few years when I left the coast and went to Bakersfied to work.I haven't seen him since coming back to SLO>

SLOCONDR

Date: 10/30/05 15:55
Author: SOB

SLOCONDR Wrote:
> africansteam Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > They were sent to me by my
> > friend Chris Stark >
>
>
>
> Africansteam ...How is Chis?? is he still
> working? I knew him for quite a few years when I
> left the coast and went to Bakersfied to work.I
> haven't seen him since coming back to SLO>
>
> SLOCONDR
>
Chris, like all of the REALLY OLD guys has retired and is doing whatever it is that you guys do in your sedentary time.

(Hee, Hee, Hee.)

SOB

Date: 10/31/05 23:21
Author: Steamjocky

SOB Wrote:
>
> >
> Chris, like all of the REALLY OLD guys has retired
> and is doing whatever it is that you guys do in
> your sedentary time.
>
> (Hee, Hee, Hee.)
>
> SOB
>
>

Virlon, he's picking on you again. I know he is. I just know it.

steamjocky

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0822 seconds