Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Steam & Excursion > Things going bad for UP 844 today???

Date: 04/28/06 11:03
Things going bad for UP 844 today???
Author: billnict

Judging by UPs satellite tracking web page at http://www.uprr.com/aboutup/excurs/trace.cfm, things don't seem to be going good for 844 today. First of all, it left Denver around 1 1/2 hours late and it has only gone around 45 miles to Byers, Colorado and it's been stopped for close to 30 minutes now.

Does anyone know what is going on or is this standard operating procedure?

Cheers!

billnict
Derby, Kansas

Date: 04/28/06 11:04
Re: Things going bad for UP 844 today???

OK, I no more than got the above message posted and it's moving again!

Cheers!

billnict
Derby, Kansas

Date: 04/28/06 12:22
Author: switchlock

There may be more traffic than usual on the KP due to a derailment in Nebraska yesterday or the day before. They might have had to go into the hole to let everybody else go by.

Date: 04/28/06 12:28
Author: CPB284

I just got home from chasing Denver - Byers. It was delayed an hour or so past the scheduled departure. Not only did Amtrak 5 depart Union Station for the Moffat ahead of the 844 for the Limon Sub, but it was also tied up by the Roydale Local and WB empty coal train heading for the N Yard Bypass. There was also a detouring Z train waiting out congestion at York St, and later at Mesa, and as I was coming back in to Denver a rack train was also ready to head EB.

They made a brief stop in Strasburg which appeared part of the return to steam of C&S 2-6-0 (NG) #9 at Uhrich Locomotive Works. There was a TV crew there interviewing Marlin Uhrich, and #9 was actually under steam for what might have been the first time since the 40s. At Byers siding they had to stop for a minor inspection. From scanner traffic it appeared to be a brake valve issue of some sort. The weather has been rainy off and on with cloud cover but the low temps really create some great steam effects. Very reminiscent of 3985 pulling the 2004 Cheyenne Frontier Days Train. Pictures later today.

Date: 04/28/06 12:41
Author: tolland

Did they have #9 outside under steam? Do you remember which news crew was there at Strasburg? Ed Dickens is a good friend with Marlin Ulrich. Anyway, thanks for the report.

Date: 04/28/06 12:44

Thanks for the update!

Sounds like it was only traffic congestion; I was afraid that it was broke bad.

I did notice that they weren't stopped in Limon for anywhere near the 30 minutes that was scheduled!

Cheers

billnict
Derby, Kansas

Date: 04/28/06 12:52
Author: CPB284

tolland Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did they have #9 outside under steam? Do you
> remember which news crew was there at Strasburg?
> Ed Dickens is a good friend with Marlin Ulrich.
> Anyway, thanks for the report.

Sorry, I didn't catch which news crew it was, it looked to be just a cameraman and a sound guy. There was a HUGE crowd at Strasburg, one of the biggest I've ever seen on a UP Steam outing at a single location, excluding the Frontier Days train. #9 was partially outside, basically the smokebox was all that was visible from the outside. The Uhrich guys actually sounded the whistle, which was pretty neat. It's been fitted with a new Butterfly Plow, and I hear will have a false Ridgway Spark Arrestor (it is now an oil burner), to fill out the look. They polished up the brass boiler bands very nicely. It looks fantastic.

Date: 04/28/06 16:30
Author: RioGrandeFan

I was out there chasing in the mob and they didn't really stop all that much. A short stop in Strasburg and at Byers siding was all I noticed. About 15-20 minutes or less in Limon and they were gone. They departed Limon at 12:17pm, only 16 minutes late.

#9 is looking great. I didn't realize it was already done and ready to go. Anyone know when it might make the journey to Silver Plume?

Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 04/28/06 18:52
Author: MileHiFoam

Pictures, people, we need pictures! ;)

Date: 04/29/06 06:49
Author: RS12394

Okay, here is a picture of the 844 sprinting along between Watkins and Bennett on the Limon Sub. Notice the bird trying to keep up. It was a lousy day weatherwise, but a great day for photographing steam.

Joe

Date: 04/29/06 18:37
Author: VERNON1946

Thanks for the (NICE) Picture. V-e-r-y Nice.* Please keep them coming.....VERNON

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0329 seconds