Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Steam & Excursion > more of 4449 in December, 1988

Date: 12/12/06 21:49
more of 4449 in December, 1988
Author: choochoocharlie

These 3 shots taken at Roseburg on the night of December 15th, 1988. The train was broken up with most of it on a spur ending at a loading ramp. The tool car, SP SD45T-2R #6826, DRGW SD-50 #5514 and 4449 parked on the next track to the east of the other cars. My friends and I camped in my Volkswagen Vanagon Camper close to this spot. It's a good thing we had warm sleeping bags, 'cause it was freezing down there with a very light snowfall in the AM.

C.C.Chas.

Date: 12/12/06 22:06
Re: more of 4449 in December, 1988
Author: nycman

Charlie, very nice! I think I know the answer, but what kind of film were you shooting then?

Date: 12/12/06 22:19

I was using Kodachrome 64 and 200 on that trip. The night shots were taken on Kodachrome 64. The 200 shifts a bit to much to the red side for night shots. Kodachrome 64 gives the best look to night shots in most situations. The lights they were using were a bit strange too. Not sure what type they were. Might have been mercury vapor or high pressure sodium lights..................... C.C.Chas.

Date: 12/12/06 22:21
Author: TonyJ

Boy, do I remember that night. My wife and I went to Reno for our anniversary and on our return we hit a wind storm that knocked the power out to SP signals west of Sacramento. We drove until we were too tired to go on so at midnight we grabbed a Motel 6 room at Weed and left for Roseburg four hours later.

We arrived Roseburg about an hour before the train departed. I forgot to bring a warm coat so all I had was a sweater, while my wife stayed in the warm car. We filmed the train at 13 locations between Roseburg and Medford and enjoyed it all: snow, fog, clouds and then bright sunshine.

Tony J.

Date: 12/12/06 22:32

By the time my friends and I got to Medford, we had caught it at 17 locations. The friends were Joe and Mike Rademacher. Mike is now a Conductor for Amtrak. Just edited a DVD on that trip. Had to cut some stuff out, but still ended up 2 hours long. This photo taken in Cow Creek Canyon.

C.C.Chas.

Date: 12/13/06 07:26

Charlie,
Looking at my records we almost di as well as you. We caught the 4449 at Roseburg, Oaks, Round Prairie, Dole, Myrtle Creek, Riddle, Glendale, Wolf Creek, Merlin, Grants Pass, Gold Hill, and Tolo. The best was when the 4449 and train drifting downgrade on the loop at Wolf Creek and frightened the horses on a small ranch. - Tony J.

Date: 12/13/06 17:28
Author: Milwaukee-Railfan

How cool would it be if SP 4449 could make this trip again from Eugene to Medford. I wonder if the Corp Railroad is open too big steam on their line?

Date: 12/13/06 19:45
Author: KentonLineFoamer

If you like your steam on the groud...

Date: 12/13/06 21:43

Tony, we were at several of the same locations where you caught it. One of the best trips of 4449 where I have been able to chase it. Caught it at entering the Green Block, Roseburg Lumber Co. at Dillard (actually twice here at either end of the large mill), Round Prairie, approaching Myrtle Creek, near Riddle, Near Cornutt, site of old Byers siding, tunnel #1 in Cow Creek Canyon, grade crossing in Cow Creek Canyon, Near Glendale, Wolf Creek, Merlin, approaching Gold Hill, Y at Tolo, and arriving in Medford.......................... C.C.Chas.

Date: 12/14/06 17:22

choochoocharlie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tony, we were at several of the same locations
> where you caught it. One of the best trips of 4449
> where I have been able to chase it. Caught it at
> entering the Green Block, Roseburg Lumber Co. at
> Dillard (actually twice here at either end of the
> large mill), Round Prairie, approaching Myrtle
> Creek, near Riddle, Near Cornutt, site of old
> Byers siding, tunnel #1 in Cow Creek Canyon, grade
> crossing in Cow Creek Canyon, Near Glendale, Wolf
> Creek, Merlin, approaching Gold Hill, Y at Tolo,
> and arriving in Medford..........................
> C.C.Chas.

C.C. Chas.
We may have bumped into each other during the chase. I think I was the first to arrive at the semaphores at Merlin. Thinking that I may be only one of a couple of people to catch the 4449 there, I soon discovered that this was wishful thinking. Dick Steinheimer soon showed up (out of breath from running up the hill) and then a carload of guys who got lost for a while.

"We made a phone call from a place no one has ever asked to borrow a phone before," said one guy.

By the time the 4449 came it looked like an annual convention of a bird watcher's society, but it was fun!

Here's a couple of shots from me. The first at Glendale as the 4449 came out of Cow Creek Canyon; the second at Weaver Road in Riddle. - Tony J.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0661 seconds