Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Steam & Excursion > Chinese Steam in Iowa

Date: 02/07/07 19:17
Chinese Steam in Iowa
Author: trainrider1000

Last summer I missed a golden opportunity to ride behind the Chinese steamers in Iowa. Does anyone know whether these trips will be repeated this summer?
Also, Can anyone remember what they charged for tickets?
Furthermore,I'd like know the dates of any such excursions so I could work it around my work schedule.

Date: 02/07/07 19:32
Re: Chinese Steam in Iowa
Author: chico

Trainrider,
Welcome.
I believe the QJ event was a 'once is all' event, as the engines were to be stored serviceable for sale after the trips. Not that there couldn't be another solo QJ run someday, but unlikely by all accounts. And, the MILW 261 participation was an add-on to the event last September--as I understand there were factors that allowed that all to come together...an alignment of the RR stars and planets that probably won't happen again...if you will.

So, I would instead look at the 261 site, they have announced a trip this summer in the upper Midwest.

The QJs sure were a fun weekend!

Chico
http://heartlandrails.com/photos/pbm.asp?model=2-10-2
http://heartlandrails.com/photos/pbm.asp?model=4-8-4

Date: 02/09/07 17:41
Author: Mgoldman

Didn't the Iowa Interstate become owner of a rather large
fleet of passenger cars? Just before, or just after?

Regarding the engines...., it's just money in the barn if
they aren't put to work.

/Mitch

Date: 02/09/07 20:56
Author: SilverSky

Chico,
Thanks for sharing all of the wonderful shots. Those of us working on the crew are unable to do any photography for ourselves, so we appreciate your hard work to capture all of the images. Yes, it was quite a week. And you are correct, I wouldn't look for anything of this magnitude to happen soon, if ever, again. Not that it wouldn't be a blast......

Silver Sky

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0433 seconds