Home Open Account Help 199 users online

Steam & Excursion > Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad on Sat, 11 Oct

Date: 10/12/08 23:15
Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad on Sat, 11 Oct
Author: AdamPhillips

My hat is off to all of the fine folks at MRSR. I hope you've all been keeping track of the incredible Willamette rebuild. Brian Wise and crew have many big irons in the fire and things are looking great!

#17 really impressed me! From afar, she looks like another little tank engine. WRONG! She's a mondo mikado. Most quiet valve gear I've ever heard.

1. #17 outside the shop getting ready.

2. Positioning some cars prior to boarding.

3. Handsome reflection.

Date: 10/12/08 23:21
Re: Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad on Sat, 11 Oct

4. On this trip she would push/pull 4 1/2 coaches and the freshly repainted caboose. I say 4 1/2 coaches because the open-air car is a coach with the roof cut off. Great choice on going with the Milwaukee Road-inspired scheme. GO BIG ORANGE (OK maybe not the football team this year)

4. The intrepid fireman Craig Cootsona eyes the water glass drain valve just before blowing down the glass. (valve is out of view)

5. The beast within #17 briefly made an appearance and said to Craig "Feed me!"

Date: 10/12/08 23:29

7. Trainorders own steely-eyed engineer Scott "Flash 34" Gordon, ready to hit the snaders as he finesses #17 and her substantial train up and down some significant grades.

8. Craig lines switches as we run around the train in preparation for backing down to the big trestle.

9. Here's a sample of the scenery on this gorgeous blue-sky sunny day (in October?). I'm afraid this may be the last time I see the sun until after the 4th of July 2009.

Date: 10/12/08 23:40

10. #17 backs down around the curved trestle.

11. Craig, the fireman's view. Looks pretty high. After the passengers in the open car catch their breath, 17 will be ready to march back up the grade.

12. This should help put things in a little better perspective. This shot doesn't even have the bottom of the trestle in the frame. It's HIGH!

Date: 10/12/08 23:43

13, 14, and 15 - You won't believe how quickly 17 can accelerate that train.

Date: 10/12/08 23:52

16. A boat load of happy (paying) passengers. The spectacular scenery, crisp air, and awesome stack talk had them all smiles.

17. #17 backs the coaches into the storage track before being shut down. Next weekend, hope for weather just as good. Not many operating days left for MRSR this year.

18. With the sun setting quickly, I'm well in the shadows while Mt. Rainier stands tall and bright like another moon.

Thanks again to Scott, Craig, Brian, and Bill. Next time, I'll see if my wife will let me bring my needle scalers ; )

Date: 10/13/08 08:09
Author: fredkharrison

I hear Alco 2-8-2T #17 will be getting some new paint as the weather permits.

Fred Harrison
Central Point, OR
CORPpower/JSS/EORS

Date: 10/13/08 13:20
Author: speeder3

The #17 will get new lettering on its tank before too long, but it won't get a whole new paint job until after 2009, when we take it out of service for its 1472 day work. At that time the tank, cab, domes, etc. will get stripped down to bare metal, primed and painted. The cab will also get new woodwork, glazing and a few other refinements.

Brian Wise
GM/CMO
Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad
www.mrsr.info/news/

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds