Home Open Account Help 270 users online

Steam & Excursion > Schafer Brothers Logging - Another BIG NW Logger!

Date: 02/28/09 08:43
Schafer Brothers Logging - Another BIG NW Logger!
Author: LoggerHogger

When most folks think of the big NW logging railroads they focus on Weyerhaeuser Timber, Rayonier, Long-Bell Lumber, Simpson Timber and a few other regional loggers.
Not to be overlooked was the sizable operation of the Schafer Brothers Logging Company of Brady, WA. This operation actually connected with part of the Simpson Timber line out of Shelton.
The locomotive shop facility at Brady was large, well kept and serviced both rod and geared engines for Schafer Bros...
Here are a couple Clark Kinsey photos to give you a taste of the Schafer Bros. operation in the 1930's. They lasted until the early 1950's. They are credited with ordering and operating the first diesel locomotive in regular service in the logging industry. That engine, Schafer #20 went on to become Simpson Timber #20.

Martin

Date: 02/28/09 09:04
Re: Schafer Brothers Logging - Another BIG NW Logger!
Author: smokebox

Do any of thier Lokies survive? What about the diesel?

Date: 02/28/09 09:34
Author: MacBeau

Notice the rods are all saturated steam—not a superheater to be seen. Great images as always.
—Mac

Date: 02/28/09 10:15

Schafer did have a couple superheated engines. #7 was built new for them by Baldwin. #23 came second hand from the White River Lumber Co. where she was #5.
Diesel #20 still exists in the Shelton area, though not operable. Here is a factory shot of her when new.

Martin

Date: 02/28/09 11:37

Schafer Brothers Logging had quite a variety of "Lokies" for hauling logs from the woods. Here is just a sample of a few of these great logging engines.

Martin

Date: 02/28/09 15:29
Author: nycman

Martin, what kind of scanner are you using these days? Those are great scans.

Date: 02/28/09 16:46

Jim,

I am still using my old AGFA Duoscan T1200. An old workhorse. Thes are all pretty low resolution scans actually.

Martin

Date: 02/28/09 19:35
Author: JDLX

LoggerHogger said about the S.B. #20..."They are credited with ordering and operating the first diesel locomotive in regular service in the logging industry."

You've piqued my curiosity with this statement, Martin...Pete's book and the TTSL issue on Diesel Loggers a few years ago agree that the #20 has an October 1950 build date. According to a few sources I've been able to pull together here, there were several logging diesels that had build dates prior to the #20, including Hammond #101 (June 1950); four of Weyerhaeuser's F-M switchers used in western Washington (although three of them were built for common carriers, which may disqualify them); McCloud River's two DRS-6-6-1500's also were built before the #20 (although, once again for a common carrier); Red River #502 (1926); and Potlatch's three Whitcomb centercabs (1948). While the #20 was earlier than most, it appears it was far from the first...I'm curious what disqualifies all of these other locomotives to make Shafer's the first?

Thanks for sharing photos of this operation...another one of those big operations that somebody needs to write something about.

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Date: 02/28/09 20:10
Author: up833

At least one of the steam locos was hiding out at the Schafer estate up north of Brady back in the late 60's (I saw it there). I thought I had heard that it was moved someplace for public display...wondering????
Roger Beckett

Date: 02/28/09 20:22
Author: up833

I did alittle diggin around and found my old "Railfans Guide to Washington State" , NRHS, Tacoma Chapter, 1972 and it refers to the Port of Grays Harbor #5, 2-8-2 Porter #6860 being at the Schafer Game Farm (now a State Park I think), originally Carlton & Coast RR #55 then Port of Grays Harbor #5 and owned by Carl Schafer. That probably does not qualify it as being a Schafer Bros logging loco. Is it still there or someplace else?
Roger B

Date: 02/28/09 20:52

#5 was never run on the Schafer Bros. Logging line. She is a near twin to the Schafer Bros. #4 a big 70-ton Porter. All of Schafer Bros. Lokies were cut up for scrap by the time Carl Schafer started his park and wanted a steamer in it.
He had to look only down the road to the Port of Grays Harbor to find #5. She is now up at Mt. Rainier Scenic RR in need of some boiler work to get her back running again. She was operated for nearly 15 years at Mt. Rainier before the boiler issues sidelined her.

Martin

Date: 03/02/09 11:53
Author: Fireboy

I think I saw photos on this board (or the other well known board) of the #20 being cut up last year. Both of Pete's locos (MRS-1 and S-1) were cut up for scrap.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0746 seconds