Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Steam & Excursion > Klickitat Log & Lumber #5 & #6

Date: 11/17/10 08:07
Klickitat Log & Lumber #5 & #6
Author: vcrdenny

Looking for any pictures taken at Klickitat in 1940-1950 of Willamette #6 in J. Neils/KL&L Co.

Second part of this is also trying to get some pictures of the second Shay #5 used by the KL&L.
Spent some time a month ago at Union, IL talking to the crew who are putting the #5 back together.
They asked if anyone had any pictures of this engine running. This crew had search trying to get some pictures of this engine. The gentleman in charge of the rebuilding is a 29 years old and wants to be knowledgeable of this engine.
My only concern to them was cutting the fuel tank and using coal to burn in it. This was the main steam engine when Union opened per this young crew.

Thanks for any assistant in this and I will try and contact Norm Elsner's daughter who lives
in Portland and see if she has any pictures of these two engines.

Date: 11/17/10 20:11
Re: Klickitat Log & Lumber #5 & #6
Author: asheldrake

Two additional inquiry suggestions:
- Martin E. Hansen
- pnwc@pnwc-nrhs.org
Either or both may have the pictures that you are pursuing. Arlen

Date: 11/19/10 11:48
Author: LoggerHogger

Here is a shot of KL&L #5 in service at Klickitat. When I saw her last year in Illinois they were replacing the bottom half of the smokebox.

She really looks like a small Shay for a 3-trucker when you get up next to her.

Martin

Date: 11/20/10 10:25
Author: patd3985

LoggerHogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is a shot of KL&L #5 in service at Klickitat.
> When I saw her last year in Illinois they were
> replacing the bottom half of the smokebox.
>
> She really looks like a small Shay for a 3-trucker
> when you get up next to her.
>
> Martin

Martin! What a coinky-dink! The #7 at Point Defiance is also in need of a new smokebox bottom! I looked at her last year, and being a welder/boilermaker/blacksmith, it seemed like a somewhat reasonable fix (belaying other unforeseen problms). I offered to do the repairs, free of charge, if they would have the new piece made, and was told "Thank you... We'll be in touch!" Ain't heard nothing yet. Maybe you know more than me???........Thanx,....Pat

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0446 seconds