Home Open Account Help 128 users online

Steam & Excursion > WMSR Photo Trip Report.

Date: 01/31/11 15:29
WMSR Photo Trip Report.
Author: Tominde

This is not a posting of nice shots from the WMSR photo freight but a photo essay on the trip itself. My trip was Saturday 1/29.

January is a tough month for railroading in Western Maryland. It's cold and there was over a foot of snow on the ground up on the mountain. The trip got off to a late start with some brake difficulties. Keep in mind that the rolling stock is mostly 50 years old. There were 10 freight cars in the consist, which is mostly believable. Most of the cars had roller bearings. While the diesel and the passenger cars were tardy, Carl organized a runby in the station.

The freight train is followed by 2 passenger cars coupled to the rear. GP30 #501 painted in WM "Fireball" pushes the train up the mountain. The passenger cars are uncoupled for the runbys. New this year was replacing one of the coaches with a dining car that provided drinks and snacks for the patrons. It also had 110v AC which was nice for recharging camcorder batteries that don't last as long in the cold.

The Western Maryland never had GP30s.... But they should have. By using the diesel to push up the grade between runbys, they can save water for the trip as there is no place to take water during the day. The diesel also has dynamics useful for braking down the hill.

#1 The folks in the coach
#2 Dining Car "Richard Markel" Richard died a year or so ago and was a long time conductor on the WMSR.
#3 Unloading for a Runby at Helmstetters curve.

Date: 01/31/11 15:36
Re: WMSR Photo Trip Report.

Carl has done this trip for years and the sites are well known. The photo lines are well managed. Generally there are 3 or so runbys at each location which offers the opportunity to switch sides. Sometime the runbys have a short start which enables photographers the opportunity to capture the engine starting.

Patrons can also ride the caboose and participate in some friendly banter. A coal stove keeps it nice and toasty.

#4 Were you in this Photo Line?
#5 Photo line as seen from the caboose during a runby
#6 The train as seen from the caboose.

Date: 01/31/11 15:44

Carl was able to offer cab rides this year. For an extra $30 you ride the cab during runbys and between locations. The funds went toward the "crew tip". The load of coal was not real good. There was a lot of coal dust in this load. It tended to gum up in the stoker. It also fouled the grates. The firemen were constantly having to tend the fire by hand, monitor the stoker, and clean the grates. But 734 performed extremely well. It does have some steam leaks around the cylinder packing. This steam was present in most of the photos. The stoker also leaks steam and so the engine and train is often shrouded in steam.

#7 Cleaning the grates prior to starting a runby
#8 Pushing the coal in the tender
#9 Carl takes a turn

Date: 01/31/11 15:50

#10 Kevin is the regular engineer. Sometimes he is the last to know the plans.
#11 I enjoy going away shots
#12 John Helmstetter's barn as seen from the train. This barn was rebuilt a year ago after an arson fire. Railfans and photo specials raised the funds to rebuild. It looks great. John was a gracious host as usual.

Date: 01/31/11 16:32
Author: UPTRAIN

I wasn't aware that this one had a 26L Brake Stand. Pretty nice touch.

Pump

Date: 01/31/11 17:16
Author: MMD

Yeah these " Modern " engineers can not handle the old A 6 ET stuff, unless ICC has a rulling the all must have 26 L brakes.

Malcolm
New Zealand.

Date: 01/31/11 18:41
Author: HotWater

MMD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah these " Modern " engineers can not handle the
> old A 6 ET stuff, unless ICC has a rulling the all
> must have 26 L brakes.
>
> Malcolm
> New Zealand.
No, the FRA (no longer ICC) has no such rule. UP 844, UP 3985 and SP 4449 still have original type 8ET.

Date: 01/31/11 19:01
Author: Hogger1225

4449 has a 24-RL.

William Wilson
St. Johns, MI

Date: 01/31/11 20:04
Author: ra1508vh

Bill, You might be thinkin of something else...

As far as I know, the 4449 still has its 8 in it...

Correct me if I'm wrong....

Date: 01/31/11 20:21

Hogger1225 Wrote:
> 4449 has a 24-RL.

Nope! She still has her 8ET, as does UP 844 & UP3985.

Date: 01/31/11 20:37
Author: flash34

Not to mention how the majority of the other operating steamers here do in fact have the venerable 6-ET.

Date: 01/31/11 20:39
Author: airbrakegeezer

MMD Wrote:
> Yeah these " Modern " engineers can not handle the
> old A 6 ET stuff, unless ICC has a rulling the all
> must have 26 L brakes.
>
> Malcolm
> New Zealand.

Hmmmm...pardon me, Malcolm, but the "A" in A6-ET stands for "Australia" (and New Zealand); it, and A6-EL used on diesel and electric locomotives, are slightly different from North American 6-ET, 6-BL and 6-SL brake equipments. I haven't dealt with A6-EL for over 20 years, but I doremember that there are some differences.

Roger Lewis (airbrakegeezer)

Date: 01/31/11 21:39
Author: ra1508vh

This brings up a good question....I can't think of any steam engine that has a 24 RL in it...

Thoughts?

Date: 01/31/11 22:35
Author: IC_2024

Who fired that day--was it Nick?
Thanks for sharing your photo story.

Date: 02/01/11 06:07

ra1508vh Wrote:
> This brings up a good question....I can't think of
> any steam engine that has a 24 RL in it...
>
> Thoughts?

I thought the later N&W J class 4-8-4s, such as #611, where built with 24RL brake schedule.

Date: 02/01/11 11:37
Author: LIL_BUDDY

C&O 614 was built with 24-RL. I want to say the latter group(s) of N&W class A were built with it too, as were the PRR T-1s.

Date: 02/02/11 08:34
Author: hankflagler

Thanks for my picture on the dining car, it is me. This was a wonderful trip for a first timer, will be doing this again. Carl runs a wonderful trip and one should not miss out even if your hands and feet are freezing but there was heat in the dining car, not much in the passenger car as the doors were kept opened most of the time. Everyone did their thing and kept their mouths shut and the photo lines were great. I plan to go to Cass in May for Carl's trip and take my grandson as we have been to Cass for the other weekend trip five times and there are just too many people on these trips. If I can attack the picture, it is of the station at Oakland on Sunday as we drove home to Kentucky. I have seen this station many times but first time in the snow and just had to take some shots of her. W VA did a good job of keeping the road opened all the way across the state. Will be back for sure!! Inside the tunnel on the first run by but the engine just pulled into the tunnel and then backed out but the second time, she ran all the way pass the photo line and everthing went black...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/11 10:35 by hankflagler.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0774 seconds