Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Steam & Excursion > Three Foot Thursday (Rockslide on the D&S)

Date: 05/19/11 06:46
Three Foot Thursday (Rockslide on the D&S)
Author: Jason-Rose

Towards the end of our first trip to Narrow Gauge County (October 2006), we rode the Durango & Silverton. Earlier in the week we'd visited the Colorado Railroad Museum, the Georgetown Loop, the Royal Gorge, Gunnison, Cimarron, Ridgway, and several other places of narrow gauge lore. Prior to arriving in Durango on the morning of our trip, the only NG locomotive I'd seen under steam was C&S #9. Seeing, hearing, smelling a live K36 (482) right in front of me was a REAL treat. I'd already developed a case of Narrow Gauge Fever and the events of this day would severely worsen my condition.

The ride up to Silverton was uneventful, although very enjoyable. The area had received quite a bit of rain over the previous 4 days and the Animas was running high and fast. On the return trip, just above Needleton, the train suddenly and forcefully stopped. It took a while before a crew member came through to tell us that water running down the canyon wall caused a rockslide that landed on the tracks. This apparently happened just around a bend and the Engineer couldn't see it in time to keep 482 from plowing into it.

After about 10 minutes of struggling, the locomotive was free of the slide, but there was no way to move forward. So, the decision was made to return to Silverton and bus the passengers back to Durango. However, 482 was low on water, having been deprived of the water-stop at Needleton Tank. So, Hot Shot 1 was sent down from Silverton with the firefighting equipment to give us some water. The train backed up to Elk Park Siding and met HS1 there. The crew was nice enough to let us off for a stretch and to grab some photos.

Photo 1) Train 462 and Hot Shot 1 at Elk Park Siding

Photo 2) Looking south (railroad east) from Elk Park Siding

Photo 3) Taking water from a boxcar pulled by HS1

Jason Rose
Spring, TX
Rio Grande Explorations

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/11 07:00 by Jason-Rose.

Date: 05/19/11 06:47
Re: Three Foot Thursday (Rockslide on the D&S)
Author: Jason-Rose

Photo 4-5) Damage to the running board on the Engineer's side and the cover from the Engineer's side pistons

Photo 6) Engineer's side piston assembly missing the cover. It was damaged in the collision.

I heard we took on about 1,000 gallons of water. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to get us all the way back to Silverton. Somewhere around MP 493, a few miles south of Silverton, we ran out of water and the crew dumped the fire. 481 from Train 463/464 in Silverton was dispatched to come down and rescue us. The passengers from Train 463/464, having been stranded in Silverton because of our situation, were already bussed back to Durango at this point. Well after dark and during a gnarly mountain thunderstorm, 481 arrived and coupled to the rear of our train. The old girl worked pretty hard pulling the full train and the dead 482 back up to Silverton in the rain. It was a sight to behold!!

We spent an hour or so sitting in our coach in Silverton with the oil lamps lit swapping stories with other passengers while we waited for the busses to return from Durango, all the while in a thunderstorm. The next day we rode the Cumbres & Toltec and that sealed the deal... I was officially and forever a narrow gauge fan!

Jason Rose
Spring, TX
Rio Grande Explorations

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/11 07:03 by Jason-Rose.

Date: 05/19/11 06:53
Author: ngfan

Great post Jason!!

Everyday is an adventure on the narrow gauge!

ngfan

Date: 05/19/11 10:52
Author: cjvrr

Great story, thanks for sharing...

Date: 05/19/11 11:14
Author: YG

Wonderful story and photos. It's always great to ride the D&S, and sometimes there is a bonus adventure. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.068 seconds