Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Steam & Excursion > Cumbres and Toltec

Date: 08/14/11 18:58
Cumbres and Toltec
Author: rovertrain

Rode the C&TSRR for the first time this weekend. Rode from Chama, NM to Antonito, CO. Rode in the Parlor car, drank beer and had a great time! Had grande_fan (NZ) go with me, well, I guess I went with him since he drove. Anywho, after riding we chased the Moonlight Train from Antonito, CO to Osier, CO. Here are a few shots. I'm big into HDR photography.

1) The Eastbound train with DRGW 489 sitting at Osier, CO after we ate lunch.

2) The Moonlight Train rounding a curve near Big Horn. Had to use the 4 wheel drive to get back in here, and it was a lot of fun.

3) The Moonlight Train's passengers were treated to a staged robbery and gunfight at Sublette, NM, while the 489 took on water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/11 11:29 by rovertrain.

Date: 08/15/11 05:56
Re: Cumbres and Toltec
Author: jmbreitigan

Very nice pictures.
John

Date: 08/15/11 06:05
Author: YG

Always great to see C&T. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 08/15/11 10:34
Author: NebraskaZephyr

My wife and I will be riding the parlo(u)r car Chama to Antonito in about three weeks. Your photos have me anticipating the trip all the more! Thanks for sharing.

NZ

Date: 08/15/11 11:09
Author: McKey

Great pictures! Thank you very much for posting these.

Date: 08/15/11 11:26

One more near Los Pinos. The view from the rear platform on the Parlor Car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/11 11:29 by rovertrain.

Date: 08/15/11 12:08
Author: UPTRAIN

After a week of shooting the same trains as you around Kansas City and exclaiming "I WAS THERE" to each and every one of your frames, it kind of sucks that I can no longer do that after this series. Hopefully I can have a couple beers on the Parlour Car with you guys next you go down.

Pump

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/11 17:46 by UPTRAIN.

Date: 08/15/11 12:53

UPTRAIN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After a week of shooting the same trains as you
> around Kansas City and exclaiming "I WAS THERE" to
> each and every one of your frames, it kind of
> sucks that I can no longer do that after this
> series. That sucks, but hopefully I can have a
> couple beers on the Parlour Car with you next you
> go down.
>
> Pump

I'm ready!

Date: 08/16/11 04:59
Author: deckard

Only curious... Camera brand and model?

...and don't wanna start any controversy especially from such fine shots, but: Is the "Moonlight/Taking on Water" shot another one of these HDR images we've been seeing? HDR is an amalgam of over-under exposure images melded together for contrast effect, kinda like but not stereo for light fiends. The tip-off is the amazing detail on the smokebox face and the lamp.

Anyone that has ever managed to tweak manual on a digital camera knows that fiddling with the settings is like playing chess with a super-computer. The array is already programmed to get what it wants from available light, only it doesn't quite know what to make of black, moving bits, contrast light, and for that matter steam in the same image.

I wouldn't say anything but the less-jaded, non-railroad folk always ask me "Is that a painting?" And I wonder.

Date: 08/16/11 09:21

Canon 50D with a 18-200 Canon Lens. Also, yes, it is HDR.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.4564 seconds