Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Steam & Excursion > Cumbres and Toltec Welcome Message

Date: 01/17/12 13:52
Cumbres and Toltec Welcome Message
Author: Cumbresfan

Welcome message from the new Cumbres and Toltec business manager:

As I drove to the Chama station Monday morning, the sixteenth of January, my car tires made fresh tracks in the new snow. We had beautiful, clear, New Mexico skies all last week, but now we’re getting the first snow of 2012.

Last week the folks from American Heritage Railway in Durango were helping to prepare us for the returning employees. There are countless details that needed to be accomplished to effect the transition to the new management company: Historic Rail Management.
We finished the key elements of the transition late Friday afternoon.

So now I’m in the depot, looking out towards the yard, watching the railcars being covered with white. I realize there remains a lot of work to be done, but for a guy from Louisiana, it’s a delight to watch the snow!

We’re just about finished with the 2012 Operating Schedule, and will be able to release it very soon. You’ll notice a few additions to the “Events” trains, and easily recognize those that have been successful and will stay on: Cinder Bear, Moonlight Trains, and 4th of July Extravaganza. But you’ll also notice some new ideas that we’re sure will increase ridership without
interfering with the daily Antonito/Chama runs. The plan is to improve the entertainment capability of Cumbres, where we will run Events Trains this summer. Also, there will be two new specials running out of Chama – Day Out with Thomas the Tank® in June, and Peanuts® Great Pumpkin Patch train in the Fall.

But the biggest plan we have for trains is the Polar Express® which will run out of Antonito during the month before Christmas! Based upon the hugely popular book and film, Polar has seen remarkable results throughout tourist trains around the country under licensing agreements with Rail Events, Inc.

I want to thank all of you for the very kind reception you have given me at my new home. Special thanks go to the Friends of the C&TSRR, without whom this railroad would be impossible to operate in its beautiful, historic condition. Also, my sincere thanks to the folks that make this train run – our employees, who have made the transition with enthusiasm. Also, the folks in Chama have gone out of their way to welcome me into the community.

The people of Colorado and New Mexico own the most beautiful railroad in America! So come on over to Chama or Antonito and take a train ride on your railroad. You’ll love it!

Sincerely,
John Kistler
Business Manager

http://ctsrr.com/news/2012/01-16-12up-date/update01-16-12.pdf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/12 17:05 by Cumbresfan.

Date: 01/17/12 16:05
Hit the ground running!
Author: LarryDoyle

Not bad for a first day on the job. I'm impressed.

Polar Express under steam. Wow!

-Larry Doyle

Date: 01/17/12 16:18
Re: Cumbres and Toltec Welcome Message
Author: stevelv

Now the big question that is kind of important to me but may be insignificant to others. Is the new operator going to limit access to the yard? I was born too late to witness steam but some of my fondest memories involve the 3 times I've ridden the C&TS. This involved waking up early in my Chama hotel room, putting on some warm clothes (yes it's cold, even on summer mornings), and heading out. After a quick stop at the local convenient store for some rot gut coffee the next stop was the yards. Being able to walk freely around the yards with camera and video cam in hand was like stepping into a virtual time machine. Before me were two live steam engines dumping ashes, getting water and finally being coaled for the run up the hill and eventually Antonito. All during this process the crew would be using whistle signals as opposed to modern radios. If you believe in that heaven stuff then this definitely had to be foamer heaven. I got to experience this two out of the three times I've been to Chama. The third time I was a bit hung over from the previous evening in the Dead Goat Saloon. http://www.goatbbs.com/ Having ridden the railroad three times already I'll still never pass up a fourth chance. It is that awesome. I'm just hoping that access to the yard will remain so when I bring friends and relatives to Chama they'll be able to soak in the full experience of this National treasure.
Steve B.

Date: 01/17/12 17:16

"No Trespassing" signs went up on the property in late October/early November as per order of the Commission and before the selection of the new operator. Below are three links showing the signs:

http://www.chamasteam.com/images/2011-11-08/IMG_7675.jpg

http://trainstuff.info/forctsrrphotos/photogalleries/2011galleries/inov/11-05-11rrsigns/hnarrows0002.jpg

http://trainstuff.info/forctsrrphotos/photogalleries/2011galleries/inov/11-05-11rrsigns/newsigns.htm

How exactly the new operator will handle it remains to be seen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/12 17:18 by Cumbresfan.

Date: 01/17/12 18:03
Author: rehunn

Look for what we get at virtually every mine location, site specific hazard training, a
review of the safety film and site requirements and possibly some level of PPE. It's an
industrial site and most likely will be governed by those standards. New Mexico hasn't
been real stringent on OSHA enforcement but by and large we see it more and more as
their insurance carriers demand it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/12 18:39 by rehunn.

Date: 01/17/12 18:09
Author: Lackawanna484

Chama would be a great place for fireworks on the 4th of July, Labor Day weekend, etc

Date: 01/17/12 18:40
Author: RNinRVR

Well I will be in Chama on 4th July this year, so I am looking forward to what they are going to do. I am riding the Antonito to Chama train that day starting in Chama and taking the bus in the morning.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 01/18/12 08:30
Author: andersonb109

The no trespassing sign with the coal triple in the background looks like it is meant to keep anyone from driving across the tracks as there is an access road there. I don't see any signs among the various posted keeping anyone out of the yard. This is a real tricky situation. No one wants to see anyone injured or have the railroad hit with a lawsuit should someone fall, get run over, etc. But there must be a way for serious photographers to have access. Often I find the best shots on photo charters are taken in the yard with the locos being prepped for service in the morning while most of the others are still having breakfast. I know at Durango, in spite of all the fences and security, if you drive around past the MacDonalds to the rear gate and let the crew know you are a charter participant you can walk in. But Chama really doesn't have similar back door access away from the tourists.

Date: 01/18/12 10:02

Chama doesn't have a McDonald's* to spoil the entrance to the yard which is beauty of the place.

*Or any national chain fast food joints, for that matter. Lets hope that if they come they don't set up shop anywhere near the railyard.

Date: 01/18/12 10:11
Author: czuleget

I did not know Thomas had a narrow gauge train set. Maybe Mattel who bought Thomas will be building one?

Date: 01/18/12 18:47
Author: SR_Krause

American Heritage owns a narrow gauge Thomas - it's been used at the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden, maybe in Durango? I'm not certain about that....

Date: 01/19/12 09:39
Author: jaybawb

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chama would be a great place for fireworks on the
> 4th of July, Labor Day weekend, etc

Chama already has the finest and biggest July 4th fireworks display in New Mexico.
People come from all over the region to see it.
You can board the train at the depot and ride it down to the WYE to watch the show.

Date: 01/19/12 13:33
Author: Lackawanna484

jaybawb Wrote:
> Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Chama would be a great place for fireworks on
> the
> > 4th of July, Labor Day weekend, etc
>
> Chama already has the finest and biggest July 4th
> fireworks display in New Mexico.
> People come from all over the region to see it.
> You can board the train at the depot and ride it
> down to the WYE to watch the show.

Thanks for that information. Sounds like another reason to visit Chama.

Date: 01/19/12 19:32

Well I have to get in touch with them since I will be there and it would be nice to see the fireworks from the train.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 01/22/12 09:07

Well they have told me they are doing an evening train up to Cumbres for a barbacue supper then back to town for the fireworks display. I have already requested tickets for it.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 01/22/12 21:27
Author: jaybawb

RNinRVR Wrote:
> Well they have told me they are doing an evening
> train up to Cumbres for a barbacue supper then
> back to town for the fireworks display. I have
> already requested tickets for it.

Thanks for sharing.
They are just getting cranked up with the new operator so some things have not yet hit the web site.
For up-to-date info call 1-888-286-2737 or visit cumbrestoltec.com
Come see me at Chama Steam in Chama.
Jay

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0906 seconds