Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Steam & Excursion > What happened to H&BTM 38?

Date: 11/05/12 10:16
What happened to H&BTM 38?
Author: steam290

This much I know. H&BTM 38 was operating, or had operated long ago on the Knox and Kane Railroad that ran out of Marrianville PA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knox_and_Kane_Railroad

The locomotive was burned in a fire that occurred when arsonists set fire to the K&K engine house in 2008. # 38 was sold at auction along with K&K Chines SY58 and a former WM Diesel #39. Sy58, of course was rebuilt as New Haven 3025 on the Valley Railroad in Connecticut. 39 is on the Western Maryland Scenic, ( a fitting home). H&BTM #30 was bought by the Everett Railroad which had at one point had a connection with the H&BTM. 38 was to be rebuilt, and that's the last I heard of it. Anyone have any information on this subject? Has there been any progress in the restoration?

Date: 11/05/12 10:44
Re: What happened to H&BTM 38?
Author: Tominde

If I recall, it is at WMSR being worked on for H&BTM.

Date: 11/05/12 13:46
Author: 2839Canadian

Alan Maples bought the 38 at auction a couple years ago and moved to the Western Maryland Scenic’s shop at Ridgley, WV for complete overhaul. This work is almost finished. He plans to create an authentic 1910 H&BTM passenger train with the 38 and ex-CNJ coaches and run this train in excursion service on his railroad, which is the Everett Railroad, headquartered in Duncansville, PA. The CNJ coaches closely resemble H&BTM coaches from that era. Restoration work on the coaches is almost complete.

Date: 11/05/12 14:48
Author: steam290

That's very cool. Where is he getting the coaches from?

Date: 11/05/12 17:34
Author: 2839Canadian

From various sources. He already has three of them, which have been completely stripped. The asbestos removal was VERY costly.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0372 seconds