Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Steam & Excursion > UP 844 - Trinchera Pass

Date: 11/05/12 19:40
UP 844 - Trinchera Pass
Author: typebangin

Here's a little preview of video I shot this Sunday as UP 4-8-4 #844 traveled over Trinchera Pass thanks to BNSF trackage rights. I was surprised by the high number of folks chasing, though I guess the rarity of this routing combined with the great scenery made it worth a long trip for many (I drove down from Boulder, CO). People were stopping all along the highway as the train headed north from Texline, TX. In Des Moines, NM a big crowd came over from church while 844 was being serviced. Even the remote section between Branson and Beshoar was busy; the dirt roads probably saw a record amount of traffic that day. 844 seemed to have a nice patina of dirt by Walsenburg, probably in part due to all the dust kicked up between Branson and Beshoar.

This video shows 844 passing through Clayton, NM followed by a little pacing near Royce. The next clip shows 844 climbing the loop in Folsom, NM with the Capulin Volcano in the background. Finally, 844 approaches Trinidad in the last clip. Despite a flat tire Saturday afternoon near Barela, it was a great chase on a very scenic and rarely photographed line. Hopefully 844 will continue to utilize BNSF trackage for trips to New Mexico and Texas. Now all they need is trackage rights over Raton...

-James
http://www.steamtrainvideos.com

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/05/12 20:09
Re: UP 844 - Trinchera Pass
Author: nycman

James, your video work is always outstanding. Thanks for those shots.

Date: 11/05/12 20:44
Author: gman1

wow.... just f*%$ing wow!!!!!
especially the pacing shots!

Date: 11/05/12 21:12
Author: Mgoldman

I often find myself dragging the slider forward watching videos and
the same occurred here - except, I found myself dragging the slider
back a lot more often!

Great clip - very enjoyable!

/Mitch

Date: 11/05/12 21:43
Author: Frisco1522

That's excellent video! The pacing is the smoothest I've ever seen.

Date: 11/05/12 22:49
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

That a beautiful video -- of one gorgeous
locomotive! VERY nice work! Thanks for
sharing it here!

Date: 11/06/12 06:11
Author: alco636

Great work. I saw you out there. My compliments.

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 11/06/12 06:51
Author: gjc

James, another excellent video. Really enjoyed watching it! Keep up the good work!

George Cataulin
San Diego, CA
Left Coast Rail Videos

Date: 11/06/12 08:48
Author: mcdeo

AWESOME video!!! Thank you for posting.

Sigh...I have to work tomorrow and won't see her come through Denver. :-(

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 11/06/12 12:03
Author: tomstp

Good stuff, enjoyed it.

Date: 11/06/12 12:18
Author: Phil1

I know I speak for many T.O. readers in saying thanks for this beautiful video of a great machine with breathtaking background scenery too. My only question is what is in his consist?. I see five cars two of which seem to be baggage type cars, one looks like a chair car, and I can not tell by the window configuration what the trailing car is. I hope a knowledgeable T.O reader and fan of UP passenger cars can breakdown this consist.Again thanks for the great video and keep'em comin'.

Phil Blommendahl
Getzville, NY

Date: 11/06/12 13:32
Author: typebangin

The 5-car consist is made up of the 4 steam support cars: Art Lockman, Howard Fogg, Lynn Nystrom, and Reed Jackson, plus the Portland Rose coach. Someone more knowledgeable can give more detailed information.

-James
http://www.steamtrainvideos.com

Date: 11/06/12 15:53
Author: MojaveBill

Superb!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 11/06/12 22:46
Author: spdaylight

Gotta love that opening 180 degree pan shot in the video. Very smooth! Great work and nice variety of locations too!

Craig
mcmrailvideos.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0485 seconds