Home Open Account Help 409 users online

Steam & Excursion > Quite A Steam Facility - The McCloud Roundhouse!

Date: 11/30/12 16:43
Quite A Steam Facility - The McCloud Roundhouse!
Author: LoggerHogger

Over on my thread on the McCloud River RR in the view of Mt. Shasta, I was asked about the old McCloud River RR Steam Roundhouse and it's proximity to the current diesel shops.

Here is an excellent 1938 view of the MCRRR Roundhouse. You can see how large this facility was for a Western Shortline. This roundhouse sat in the large open area in front of the current diesel shops.

I am in the process of preparing an article on the factors used by railroads in the decision to convert from steam to diesel. I am using the McCloud River RR as my case study as I have all the documents and studies that went into this decision. One factor was the fact that the old roundhouse needed a new roof and floor, and they would be expensive and not needed for a conversin to diesel.

Interesting huh?

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/12 16:46 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 11/30/12 23:34
Re: Quite A Steam Facility - The McCloud Roundhouse!
Author: asheldrake

Martin, interesting vehicle on the turntable in photo #1!
and where might your article appear? Arlen

Date: 12/01/12 04:54

Arlen,

This is an article for TRAINS Magazine.

You have a good eye in spotting the old Model A inspection car #100 on the turntable. Here is what she looked like.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/12 05:02 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 12/01/12 07:52
Author: YG

Fascinating stuff.

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 12/03/12 23:02
Author: lwilton

Martin, never having been there, I'm trying to relate your first two images. Are they facing the same way? Or is the second image looking back from about where that tin building is behind the RH in the first photo? I understand (I think) that the RH and presumably the turntable in the first photo are gone in the second. But it just doesn't look to me like the same angle, unless there were A LOT of changes in the trackwork.

Date: 12/04/12 07:32

The 2 photos are in opposite directions. The roundhouse faced Mt. Shasta. The metal diesel shop faces away from the mountain.

Martin

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0383 seconds