Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Steam & Excursion > I leave for a few days and all goes to hell

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 12/09/12 21:21
I leave for a few days and all goes to hell
Author: webmaster

In my 16 years of running Trainorders I have never been away from the site for perhaps more than a day until this past Thursday night. Friday I went in for hernia surgery and have been drugged out until today. Today I visit my own site to find that I have missed perhaps the biggest news to ever break on Trainorders and I wasn't around for it. I spent the last few months preparing for this absence by replacing our database server and moving the site to a new reliable hosting facility. I thought I was all ready and I was on the technical side.

Chris has been doing a good job putting out fires, but there is only so much he can do short of shutting down accounts. Before I decide to go that route I am going to be blunt. Keep the institutional and personal attacks off the web site. It accomplishes nothing and only drags the hobby into the gutter. If you got something to say, say it in person and not through our web site.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 12/09/12 21:24
Re: I leave for a few days and all goes to hell
Author: alco636

Thanks Todd! I share the same feelings about personal attacks/politics, and such. It's great this may happen. A wonderful idea to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the transcontinental railroad. Get well soon, and thanks for all you do. (And everyone else for that matter with Trainorders.)

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 12/09/12 21:52
Author: nnsteam

As my first post, I say thank you! After years of lurking, I finally joined, in part due to the events of the the past few days. As a person who volunteers and has spent many years in the steam railroading industry, after not one day after all of this broke, I decided no way would I take part in this mess. We are all grown ups here, yet nobody could care less about anybody else's opinion. I expected more from this place. Can we just stay on topic and be nice please? I don't pay to be a member to engage in pissing contests with egotistical people, I just want to talk trains.
Please, gentlemen let's get back to actually enjoying what we came here for...

Posted from Android

Date: 12/09/12 22:27
Author: usmc1401

Hope you are doing good after your surgery. Yes things were getting out of control. Thanks for the update.

Date: 12/09/12 23:10
Author: CarolVoss

Well, regardless of all of this strum and drang, it looks to me as if there was some sort of a TO world record set in terms of the number of posts (on about 3 related threads) and number of views. Can you verify for us what the records are?
C.
PS--and hope your hernia recovery is going well-------I had a hernia operation way back in the old days when they hacked into the groin and did major stuff but 4 weeks later, I hiked the John Muir trail in Yosemite from Glacier Point to Happy Isles in the valley------------so with all the latest improvements you should be up and totally running very soon!

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 12/09/12 23:34
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Todd: I hope you are healing up well, and
will feel much better very soon, and that this
operation won't in any way spoil your Christmas.

As far as records of max posts and views, this has
to be the biggest! I counted a total of 26,816 views
on all the Big Boy topics, with a total of 347 replies.
I am in awe of and very grateful to the Union Pacific
Railroad for even considering this. In wish them
every success in this venture. And I wish this great
website every success, too -- and more politeness and
thoughtfulness from those who post.

Date: 12/10/12 04:32
Author: 4-12-2

Todd,

If you had the "like" option seen on Facebook I'd "like" your post.

Hope your recovery goes well. I had the same surgery early in this year.

John Bush
Omaha

Date: 12/10/12 04:56
Author: andersonb109

Well said Todd; In reading through the two threads, I couldn't believe the rude and snarky comments directed at others on the board just because they have a different opinion. For many here, this is suppose to be an enjoybable hobby. Totally uncalled for.

Date: 12/10/12 05:31
Author: Xander24

Pretty much sums up my sentiments. Take stock of the situation, and the reality is those out west are blessed. Four Class one railroads in the USA. CSX won't touch Steam with your money. NS abandoned the greatest Northern ever designed, sold off all their original equipment and historic shops, and now will finally let Steam back on their railroads with other peoples money, but still no J or glorious A. The BNSF will let experts they trust like Doyle and Jack in an engine they trust (4449) go where ever they please because they know the crew and engine are capable. And then there is the UP, who have a Northern they have never retired, Challenger, THAT WILL RUN AGAIN, and to top it all off they are saying to heck with the money, we are going to add a BIG BOY to the fleet. Are you kidding me? I see no negatives in this. None, nil, no way can i SPIN this into a negative if you paid me. At some point you are going to see a Challenger and a Big Boy running together. The UP will get this done. Get behind this because it is such a positive surprise. When I spoke briefly with Steve Lee way back in 2001 I remember him saying to me that one thing he loves seeing is young people make an effort to get out and see Steam. I wasn't that old at the time and drove up from San Diego, and he appreciated that. I can now see his point. Knowledge in mainline steam isn't getting easier to find, probably getting harder. Probably easier to find rocket scientists these days as they still build and launch rockets. So I'd like to be on record saying those in the UP steam crew have my full support and gratitude for a Job well done this summer, and God speed on this behemoth of a project. What an awesome thing to be privileged to be involved in. Wish you nothing but ht best and can't wait to see the culmination of your work. Imagine a train fest with the Challenger, Big Boy, 2926, 765, 4449, 765, 261, and 844. It's looking like the early 80's again. Who would have thought.

Date: 12/10/12 05:33
Author: co614

Welcome back Todd and best wishes for a complete and rapid recovery. IMHO there's only 2/3 bad repeat offenders and my advice is to show them the door now and for good as why should a couple of rude individuals spoil it for the many. Quite obvious on the Big Boy threads who the serial offenders are.

Thanks for all you do to make TO a valuable resource.

Ross Rowland

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/12 06:16 by co614.

Date: 12/10/12 06:04
Author: steam290

Thank you!

I'm not sure why people get so angry when they get news like this. It was the same when NS announced they were bringing some steam back. I remember that some folks got livid that anyone would believe such a rumor. It is enough to make one want to stay out of these conversations. I, for one, and excited to see what happens with all big steam in the future.

Date: 12/10/12 06:28
Author: Spikes

Needs repeating. "Keep the institutional and personal attacks off the web site." And of course this, "Hope you are doing good after your surgery, Todd". Folks, the variety of people on the web makes the world go round. There are always a few, but minimal, idiots who are like excess hot sauce on a good taco. Shshshshiit happens.

Date: 12/10/12 07:00
Author: Rich_Melvin

Xander24 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
"...Imagine a train fest with the Challenger, Big Boy, 2926, 765, 4449, 765, 261, and 844. It's looking like the early 80's again..."

Hmmm...you mentioned us twice. Does that mean we have to clone the 765 and bring two of her? ;-)

Todd, I'm glad you jumped in here. It was needed...

Date: 12/10/12 07:20
Author: Spikes

Well, rail VIPs (at least to me) are active on TO; Rich Melvin, Ross Rowland, John Bush, John Rimmasch, Bob Krieger...names I know of. Others?

Date: 12/10/12 07:44
Author: NSDTK

I'm sure the last thing you feel like doing right now is patrolling the playground. Speedy recovery to you Todd.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/10/12 08:13
Author: WrongWayMurphy

To hernia means to rupture.

Considering you own this site, I guess you experienced a "double hernia".

Best wishes on a quick recovery.

Date: 12/10/12 08:29
Author: rehunn

It hasn't gone to hell,it's just assumed it's natural path, one not impeded by censorship.

Date: 12/10/12 09:33
Author: 462pacific

Enough said ! Wishing you well soon, Todd. Thanks.

Date: 12/10/12 14:57
Author: Xander24

Rich_Melvin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Xander24 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> "...Imagine a train fest with the Challenger, Big
> Boy, 2926, 765, 4449, 765, 261, and 844. It's
> looking like the early 80's again..."
>
>
> Hmmm...you mentioned us twice. Does that mean we
> have to clone the 765 and bring two of her? ;-)
>
>
> Todd, I'm glad you jumped in here. It was
> needed...

Rich, can you? Please? Then can you get the NS to let you double head it down the Rat Hole?

Date: 12/10/12 15:00
Author: nycman

Hope your recovery is quick, Todd. I have been putting off same surgery for some time. Re the Big Boy threads, I have decided there are a few people I would not care to meet.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0753 seconds