Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Steam & Excursion > 261 in May

Date: 06/09/13 11:04
261 in May
Author: rovertrain

Finally got around to editing pictures from the Milwaukee Road 261 trip... Thought I'd share.

Date: 06/09/13 11:05
Re: 261 in May
Author: rovertrain

On the trip home we took a detour (as I live in Colorado) to Arkansas to shoot some Alcos... And took US 50 home through Kansas (This is Spearville, KS)

Date: 06/09/13 11:58
Author: bighook

Sounds like H.H. from the CP has no interest on letting Steve Sandberg and the 261 on running on his tracks...

HH is Hunter Harrison the former CEO of CN railroad... Hated by investors, employees and railfans..

Lots see if the 261 will run on CP tracks.......

Date: 06/09/13 20:02
Author: MarkMeoff

bighook Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like H.H. from the CP has no interest on
> letting Steve Sandberg and the 261 on running on
> his tracks...
>
>
> HH is Hunter Harrison the former CEO of CN
> railroad... Hated by investors, employees and
> railfans..
>
> Lots see if the 261 will run on CP tracks.......

His sandbox, he can tell anyone he wants who can and cannot play.

Date: 06/09/13 20:35
Author: Red

bighook Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like H.H. from the CP has no interest on
> letting Steve Sandberg and the 261 on running on
> his tracks...
>
>
> HH is Hunter Harrison the former CEO of CN
> railroad... Hated by investors, employees and
> railfans..
>
> Lots see if the 261 will run on CP tracks.......

Great shots! I love the MILW RD 261 in her own right--and, because she has the same basic specs as the CRI&P R-67 Northerns. :-) Regarding E. Hunter Harrison (or is it E. Hunter Harrison "The Great," or "The Blessed" E. Hunter Harrison--as he has not yet achieved Sainthood in his lifetime, yet :-O ), I must correct you in that he is most assuredly NOT hated by INVESTORS. But greatly feared and loathed by most of his former CN managers & TE&Y employees alike. I do not look for him to allow this beauty to run on the CP/SOO Lines. (I haven't been on here in awhile...didn't he sideline the extant CP Rail Steam Program after he took over the reins there?). He's ALL business. But then, Jim Young of the UPRR, and the current management team of the UPRR have kept their steam program running, and Wick Moorman of the NS--and effective CEO--is resurrecting THEIR Steam Program. Proving that one can run a modern, efficient mega-system. And whether or not they eat "nails for breakfast," can take pride in their history and steam programs. Even UPRR's CEO Dick Davidson kept the Steam Program running (and before he was promoted to corporate-level Chairman of the Board, President, & CEO, while Chairman, Prez, and CEO of the UPRR itself under Drew Lewis...it was under his leadership that the UP E9s were refurbished, along with the DDA40X Centennial was refurbished, the UPRR's "Great Yellow Fleet" was expanded greatly after it had shrunk to almost nothing in the 1980s, and very extensive repairs were made to both the 3985 & the 844).

I will grant that E. Hunter Harrison "The Great" knows RRing inside out and as has been reported, has been known to dispatch trains from his HOME on Saturday nights as CEO during the CN/IC days in the wee hours. But a softie for nostalgia or public relations: he is NOT.

Date: 06/09/13 21:11
Author: Zephyr78

Excellent photos from an exciting weekend. You definitely gotta love the weather when it's sunny, cloudy, raining and hailing on Saturday yet there isn't a single cloud in the sky on Sunday. Still a fun trip overall.

As for the controversy on the CP with HH at the controls, guess we'll have to see what happens in the near future. I did talk to one of the 261 crew members on the day before the trip to Duluth regarding the topic and it seems like they're going to play it by ear. Then again, they were all more focused on the trip to Duluth at the time.

Still wish the Friends of the 261 the best of luck and hope for another great 15 years of excursions!

Luke Iverson

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/13 23:54 by Zephyr78.

Date: 06/10/13 07:24
Author: mopacrr

I have said it before and will say it again. No steam program in this day in age is secure as management can change overnight. There are examples through out the industry over the years, and the fact that EHH hasn't shut the CP steam program all togather is a sign of hope. The best example for those not around at the time is Lou Menk when he shut the CB&Q's program down overnight. The best advice I give is "ride them while can" ; as there may not be a tomorrow.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.066 seconds