Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Steam & Excursion > Request Grand Canyon steam trip review

Date: 07/30/13 00:37
Request Grand Canyon steam trip review
Author: DBen

My wife & I are taking the August Grand Canyon steam train, on the luxury dome car. Any scenic suggestions would be appreciated. I'll be using a Canon 7D for still and video. Any reviews, FYI's or cautions would be very much appreciated!

Date: 07/30/13 11:08
Re: Request Grand Canyon steam trip review
Author: webmaster

Here is a link to two videos I produced back in 2009 of the Grand Canyon Railway:

http://www.trainorders.com/train-videos/index.php?category=0&search=grand+canyon+railway+program&title=on

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 07/30/13 14:24
Author: nycman

If you will be riding the train both ways, get downstairs out of the dome and into a vestibule for the return trip from the south rim. As you climb up into the Coconino forest, the stack talk will be spectacular. The track will curve to the left, so get on the left side.

Date: 07/30/13 16:58

Thank you, Todd? (I’m unsure if you are the “webmaster”. )

I just finished watching both videos. Great production values, considering the technology available in 2009!

One important item I very much appreciated was NOT including background music when the steamer's "voice" was the primary sound. As a steam locomotive fan, it is always frustrating when the sounds of the engine, which SHOULD be the star of the show, after all, are overridden by the music track. I believe a steam locomotive video should always have the train sounds prominent throughout the presentation, considering that's why the video is produced and watched. Music definitely has its place, and you certainly did a great balancing act.

Do you have any plans to redo the cab ride with a steadicam?

Date: 07/30/13 19:38
Author: webmaster

DBen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you, Todd? (I’m unsure if you are the
> “webmaster”. )
>

Uh yep, been here since turning the first server on in 1997.

If you enjoyed those check out the Train Festival programs in 2009:
http://www.trainorders.com/trainfestival/

These videos are a lot of fun to produce, but also very expensive. I have not done any ones since the Grand Canyon as I found that the steam fans are not very much interested in online video. It is like flushing money away as they don't watch the videos. On the other hand when I shot Tehachapi from the air I had three times as many views and a significant noticeable membership bump from those. Although the helicopter bill was around $3500 for that flight, I broke even on it. The steam stuff, not a blip at all.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 07/30/13 21:40
Author: StrandedTexan

nycman Wrote:
> If you will be riding the train both ways, get
> downstairs out of the dome and into a vestibule
> for the return trip from the south rim. As you
> climb up into the Coconino forest, the stack talk
> will be spectacular. The track will curve to the
> left, so get on the left side.

Riding in the vestibules is strictly forbidden at GCR.

Date: 07/31/13 11:40

Ah yes, that will be a regular GC train. I had the opportunity to shoot from the vestibules on the 3751 special back in 2002.

Date: 07/31/13 12:52

Thanks for the information,Jim. Unfortunately, the steamer only runs on Saturday, and we're staying in the hotel.

What are your thoughts about the Williams->Grand Canyon part? The helper diesel is cut in when the 3% section is reached, but would that area still be a candidate for "stack talk"?

Do you, or anyone else, have suggestions about grade crossings, curves, etc.? Since I'll be in the dome car, hopefully I'll have a good view of the curving train. Because of my Amtrak experience, I wonder how often the windows are washed?

Could the whistles and stack talk be loud enough at the open air platform at the rear of the train?

I'm thinking of mile markers, or signs, or time stamps. I get the impression the operation is very precise in its departure and arrival times, but I don't know how precise the intervening times are. For example, the time involved in stopping for the Cataract Creek Gang to board, about 30 minutes from the Grand Canyon, might be flexible, or not.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Date: 07/31/13 16:46

I really don't recall where the curves were other than up near and in the Coconino forest. There are some very straight stretches of track, but as you get closer to the rim, that would be where to get shots of the train on a curve. Not many grade crossings on the route, either. Zak, I think you live in Williams, right? Can you help?

Date: 08/01/13 07:19
Author: MDH

StrandedTexan Wrote:

> Riding in the vestibules is strictly forbidden at
> GCR.

Yup! But the open platform observation can be very nice.... ;)

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=435569

If you pay attention on the ride up, you can note when to be out on the platform for the ride back.

Michael

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.057 seconds