Home Open Account Help 384 users online

Steam & Excursion > The Sound of PRR K4s #3882

Date: 10/07/13 06:40
The Sound of PRR K4s #3882
Author: dcoursey

I figured since everyone liked the sound of NYC Hudson #5442, maybe you'd like to hear how it's arch-nemesis sounded as well....this is PRR K4s #3882 eastbound leaving Beverly, NJ, then arriving and departing from Edgewater Park, NJ on September 17, 1952. Recorded by John Prophet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/13 08:49 by dcoursey.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/07/13 07:37
Re: The Sound of PRR K4s #3882
Author: EdBadura

Great job, nice photos and sound. thanks for sharing Ed B.

Date: 10/07/13 07:56
Author: sarailfan

Boy, she had some get up and go too, didn't she?! Thanks for sharing!!

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

Date: 10/07/13 08:05
Author: MrMichael

GREAT VIDEO!!! I enjoyed the images as much as the sounds too. If its not asking too much, can you list where each photo was taken?

Date: 10/07/13 09:39
Author: patd3985

I just love to hear steam "start ups" from the good old days! Those old steam hogheads would "Throw 'er in the corner and slap 'er on the back!". The closest I've seen to that was when the U.P. Challenger was in the Portland area in 2006 and was leaving Multnomah Falls, after a brief viewing stop for those on board. I don't know who the hoghead was, but he really did a good one and had her "hooked up" in no time! I looked over at my girlfriend, who had never seen a steam locomotive run before, and she had tears in her eyes. (I did too!) I asked her what was the matter, and all she could say was "God, that is a beautiful piece of machinery!". Now she's hooked!

Date: 10/07/13 13:46
Author: nycman

They sure did get up and go. What's the story on the two shown with that big fairing around the stack and top of the smokebox? Function?

Date: 10/07/13 14:22
Author: wcamp1472

Re: the big fairing around the stacks....

Most likely early attempts at experimental smoke-lifting --at higher speeds. Remember that Pennsy's Test Plant at Altoona, was not also a wind tunnel!
So they had to experiment out on the road with different designs and varying operating conditions, speeds, loads, etc.

Remember, also, that when hooked-up & at high speeds, the smaller amount of exhausted steam up the stack, the lower the exhaust volume-- so that when the steam finally gets to the atmosphere, and running at 70-per, the trailing smoke tends to cling to the boiler-top appurtenances, domes, bells, whistles, etc. And then it gets into the faces of the crew --ergo, the goggles and bandanas popular at the time!

Later, 'elephant-ears' came along and 'skyline casings' were used to a successful advantage. Also, late in steam designs, multi-ported exhaust nozzles, poppet valves [low exhaust volumes], et cetera, came along ----- all trying to get the smoke well up in the air, and away from the smoke en-training wind-effects near the boiler's exterior.
I loved the NYC's Niagaras and their Elephant Ears!

Wes.

Date: 10/09/13 05:11
Author: dcoursey

wcamp1472 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Re: the big fairing around the stacks....
>
> Most likely early attempts at experimental
> smoke-lifting --at higher speeds. Remember that
> Pennsy's Test Plant at Altoona, was not also a
> wind tunnel!
> So they had to experiment out on the road with
> different designs and varying operating
> conditions, speeds, loads, etc.
>
> Remember, also, that when hooked-up & at high
> speeds, the smaller amount of exhausted steam up
> the stack, the lower the exhaust volume-- so that
> when the steam finally gets to the atmosphere, and
> running at 70-per, the trailing smoke tends to
> cling to the boiler-top appurtenances, domes,
> bells, whistles, etc. And then it gets into the
> faces of the crew --ergo, the goggles and bandanas
> popular at the time!
>
> Later, 'elephant-ears' came along and 'skyline
> casings' were used to a successful advantage.
> Also, late in steam designs, multi-ported exhaust
> nozzles, poppet valves , et cetera, came along
> ----- all trying to get the smoke well up in the
> air, and away from the smoke en-training
> wind-effects near the boiler's exterior.
> I loved the NYC's Niagaras and their Elephant
> Ears!
>
> Wes.

Wes, what you're saying is true for the K4 at 2:51, but 5399 at 2:21....isn't that just the front-end throttle? Other K4s..5481, 1985, 612, 5473, all had that same huge boxy front-end throttle above the smokebox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/13 05:22 by dcoursey.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0574 seconds