Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Steam & Excursion > Trains Big Boy Special Edition

Date: 04/12/14 12:05
Trains Big Boy Special Edition
Author: stampedej

Just received my copy today and was VERY impressed! Great job Jim Wrinn & Co.!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/12/14 16:21
Re: Trains Big Boy Special Edition
Author: Cumbresfan

Would love to see a special edition or at least a special supplement for ATSF 2926 when she's done in the next 12-18 months or so. Jim did sponsor a Superheater Tube recently so he knows about the engine. Just under one-third have been sponsored.

http://nmslrhs.org/Shop/Superheaters/superheaters.php

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/14 16:23 by Cumbresfan.

Date: 04/13/14 00:28
Author: DNM4TRAINS

i also just received my copy-most excellent presentation.

Date: 04/14/14 13:00
Author: HotWater

I understand there are a few "technical errors" that crept their way into the publication. When I see one at the hobby shop, I'll learn more about what the errors are.

Date: 04/15/14 05:41
Author: paul4014

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I understand there are a few "technical errors"
> that crept their way into the publication. When I
> see one at the hobby shop, I'll learn more about
> what the errors are.

Page 53, photo at bottom right corner, should be superheater flues, not tubes. The superheater tubes are inside the flues and not visible in the photo. My fault for not catching this. Sorry everyone.

Paul Guercio

Date: 04/15/14 06:28

Paul4014,

I was referring to statements about the last time 3985 operated, plus alleged "damage to the boiler" from the Lampour Exhaust Nozzle tests. There is also a reported comment about how bad the Elesco Exhaust Steam Injectors were on the 3900 class and the 4000 class locomotives. My belief is that the person who offered those comments was confusing the Elesco system with the Sellers Exhaust Steam Injector system that was on the 800 class locomotives, as I can attest to the fact that the Elesco system performed VERY well during my years of firing 3985.

Date: 04/15/14 20:26
Author: 4-12-2

Few publications have ever been written without errors....

John Bush
Omaha

Date: 04/15/14 20:32

4-12-2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Few publications have ever been written without
> errors....
>
> John Bush
> Omaha

Grammatical errors yes, but NOT blatant errors about FACTS that could and should have been checked.

Date: 04/16/14 04:43
Author: ut-1

I especially enjoyed reading Steve Lee's article, "Without Equal" (pages 82-87); this quote, in particular, stands out: "If you ask them, these veterans will tell you how powerful the 4000s were. They'll tell you how in every dimension they seemed overwhelmingly large. They'll tell you how there was nothing louder, and how hot they were in tunnels...."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/14 04:45 by ut-1.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0467 seconds