Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Steam & Excursion > Steam Skunk

Date: 04/12/14 13:37
Steam Skunk
Author: Copy19

This photo was sent to the Reno Evening Gazette, Nevada by the Redwood Empire Association. It is undated. I'm guessing the mid 1970s. The submitted caption reads:

"A STEAM SKUNK--California Western Railway is its formal name, but a million happy riders know it as the "Skunk" line, 40 miles of corkscrew rails between Willits and Ft. Bragg, in the Redwood Empire of Northwestern California. This version uses a locomotive of yesteryear for power; others manifest themselves as diesel-powered tramcars, which gave the Skunk Line its original derisive nickname."

Note the RDC back behind the crowd. Is the steam locomotive still around?

John Bromley
Omaha, Nebraska

Date: 04/12/14 15:52
Re: Steam Skunk
Author: SPMW6600

Copy19 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is the steam locomotive still around?
>
> John Bromley
> Omaha, Nebraska

Of course; No. 45 is California Western's pride and joy. It's very well loved and maintained. It's just as fun to ride behind now as it was when the photo was taken.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/12/14 16:03
Author: nedzarp

This has to be before May 1971. Amtrak didn't continue the NWP RDC to Eureka from Willits.

Date: 04/12/14 16:12
Author: coaststarlight99

The Skunk Train is such a neat operation. I love heading up there during the summer to ride both legs of the line: 1) Willits to Northspur in the "bus on rails", and 2) The regular train from Fort Bragg to Northspur. I haven't ridden behind steam yet---I always miss it.

But I do have a word of warning for those who take the Fort Bragg --> Northspur trip if you're riding behind the diesel unit. IT SPITS OIL!!! Lots and lots of oil. I didn't know this, and I was enjoying the open-air observation platform as we cruised through the beautiful redwoods. By the time we got to Northspur for the BBQ, I looked down and realized that I was covered head to toe in about two thousand or so tiny little oil spots. It ruined my shirt and pants---that stuff doesn't come out. I wish they would have warned people about this.

Date: 04/12/14 16:35
Author: SierraRail

I would guess 1969 to 1970 due to that first car behind the tender. Looks like Engineer Jerry Brooks in the gangway.

Date: 04/12/14 16:47
Author: Keystone1

Hey coaststarlight99....what the XXXX are you doing riding behind a diesel. Now in Paraguay, I ruined a twice worn shirt getting a tender ride behind a wood burner. Oh well...but, stay away from diesels, they are all no good.

Date: 04/12/14 16:54
Author: SierraRail

coaststarlight99 Wrote:
> The Skunk Train is such a neat operation. I love
> heading up there during the summer to ride both
> legs of the line: 1) Willits to Northspur in the
> "bus on rails", and 2) The regular train from Fort
> Bragg to Northspur. I haven't ridden behind steam
> yet---I always miss it.
>
> But I do have a word of warning for those who take
> the Fort Bragg --> Northspur trip if you're riding
> behind the diesel unit. IT SPITS OIL!!! Lots and
> lots of oil. I didn't know this, and I was
> enjoying the open-air observation platform as we
> cruised through the beautiful redwoods. By the
> time we got to Northspur for the BBQ, I looked
> down and realized that I was covered head to toe
> in about two thousand or so tiny little oil spots.
> It ruined my shirt and pants---that stuff doesn't
> come out. I wish they would have warned people
> about this.

Do you have an approximate date for this event???

Date: 04/12/14 18:00
Author: JLY

Copy19 Wrote:
> This photo was sent to the Reno Evening Gazette,
> Nevada by the Redwood Empire Association. It is
> undated. I'm guessing the mid 1970s. The
> submitted caption reads:
>
> "A STEAM SKUNK--California Western Railway is its
> formal name, but a million happy riders know it as
> the "Skunk" line, 40 miles of corkscrew rails
> between Willits and Ft. Bragg, in the Redwood
> Empire of Northwestern California. This version
> uses a locomotive of yesteryear for power; others
> manifest themselves as diesel-powered tramcars,
> which gave the Skunk Line its original derisive
> nickname."
>
> Note the RDC back behind the crowd. Is the steam
> locomotive still around?
>
> John Bromley
> Omaha, Nebraska

John,
I an going strictly from memory but the RDC in he background is NWP train #3 and it was discontinued by Amtrak in 1971 so photo is before that.
While I was restoring the NWP between 1964 and 1965 I journeyed to Ft. Bragg with NWP RFE Jack Lewis to view the steam engine #45 that was acquired from Medco Lumber co. at Medford by the Cal Western for their steam powered skunk. The photo shows the train on the NWP main at the Willits Station headed south to the interchange switch for the CWR at Willits. Would guess the photo circa 1969 or 1970.

Date: 04/12/14 19:43
Author: emencis

Neat picture, thanks for sharing.

45 will be back up and running for its first public run on May 17th. Here is a picture I took of here last summer. Also for anyone interested the Skunk will be running its yearly photographer special on Sunday June 8th

http://skunktrain.com/photo.html

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.067 seconds