Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Steam & Excursion > Birth Certificate for an Old Acquaintance

Date: 04/13/14 09:07
Birth Certificate for an Old Acquaintance
Author: africansteam

Locomotive builder specification cards make up a very tiny segment of my paper collection. Those that I do have are there because they represent a momentary fascination with a given locomotive or because I have a personal association with a particular engine or railroad. Alco built EFDTC No. 153 falls into the latter category.

I made several trips to the meter gauge Estrada de Ferro Donna Thereza Christina, the first in 1973 and the last in 1984. During that time the coal hauling EFDTC was a must see for members of the international steam fraternity. The railroad offered big time American style steam railroading with a nearly all American roster comprised of diminutive Pacifics, light Mikados, Texas types and 2-6-6-2 articulateds. Later, former Argentine 2-10-2’s would join the roster, but until then it was an all Alco and Baldwin show.

No. 153 was Alco order number S-1837, the first of five 2-8-2’s for the Christina. On all but my last visit she was hard at work alongside her Alco and Baldwin stable mates. In 1984, she was receiving attention in the shops at Tubarao, and today; nearly a quarter century later has been resplendently restored. A search of some of the international steam websites will yield some beautiful photos of her on 2013 enthusiasts specials.

My friend Tom Moungovan reminded me that 153 made the last run on the branch to the Lauro Muller mine on March 20Th, 1974, shortly before it was permanently washed out by flooding that year. The branch was famous as the domain of the EFDTC's 2-6-6-2 articulateds, but the loads were fewer that day and 153 was used because she burned less coal.

Cheers,
Jack

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/14 13:22 by africansteam.

Date: 04/14/14 06:42
Re: Birth Certificate for an Old Acquaintance
Author: YG

Very cool!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds