Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Steam & Excursion > UP 4005, Green River?

Date: 07/23/14 06:41
UP 4005, Green River?
Author: donstrack

Here is a Dean Gray photo, scanned from a negative. There is no date or location, but Gordon McCulloh's UP steam book shows that UP 4005 was retired in 1962 and held at Green River until donated to the Forney museum in Denver in June 1970.

As tech note, I am fiddling with my Epson V700 scanner, figuring out how best to scan all these 120-size negatives and slides that I have from Dean Gray. It appears that it might be simplest to scan one image at a time, since the auto thumbnail feature seems to get confused when the images are not in a single four-image strip. I've got plenty of those (100+ one-roll strips), but there are many, many more single-image slides that will be removed from their mounts, one at a time.

More in this thread from a couple days ago:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?9,3468632

More about scanning is here:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?9,3456789

Don Strack

(P.S. the thin blue vertical line that shows on the concrete floor, is on the negative)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/14 06:47 by donstrack.

Date: 07/23/14 09:13
Re: UP 4005, Green River?
Author: SGillings

The 4005 was in Cheyenne when John Bush and I were there in August 1968. I posted a picture on 07/05/08.

Steve

Date: 07/23/14 10:05
Author: apollo17

I read somewhere on the net that when 4005 was coming into Cheyenne or was it Green River?, after it's wrecking the switchman on duty the night it arrived said he could hear the groaning and wrenching of metal as it was being towed in and nearing his shanty. It was a sound he said he would never forget as it was nighttime and the locomotive couldn't yet be seen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/14 14:48 by apollo17.

Date: 07/23/14 10:28
Author: GMUP

Don,

You surely have your work cut out for you with Dean's collection, WOW! I am delighted he was willing to share it all.

Thanks so much for your labors, your website is a wondrous compilation of valuable data and images that are so rare.

A slight clarification to what I said about 4005 in Note 3 of the 4000s Chapter: "After retirement 4005 was held at Green River. Later it moved to Cheyenne prior to donation in June 1970 to the Forney Museum in Denver." I knew it had been moved to Cheyenne but could not define a date, now we know that occurred prior to August 1968.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/14 10:35 by GMUP.

Date: 07/23/14 10:35
Author: donstrack

Unfortunately, Dean's photo is not dated. In fact, it is a negative that was laying loose on the bottom of one of the many boxes that I moved from his house to mine. I'm surprised that it scanned so well, since it was really dusty and dirty. I think that maybe the negative is actually a copy negative made from a 120-size slide, which I'll scan when the time comes.

Don Strack

Date: 07/23/14 23:36
Author: davew833

Depending on the date, of course, I think this photo kind of dispels the myth perpetrated by Ron Ziel that #4005 was partially disassembled for shipment to Argentina.

Date: 07/24/14 00:47
Author: Evan_Werkema

Compare Dean Gray's photo of 4005 in fresh paint complete with whitewall tires to SGillings' photo from 1968 showing a dirty and pilfered 4005:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,1708158,1708236#1708236

I'd venture to guess Gray's was taken later, as the engine was being spiffed up for donation to the Forney.

donstrack Wrote:

> As tech note, I am fiddling with my Epson V700
> scanner, figuring out how best to scan all these
> 120-size negatives and slides that I have from
> Dean Gray. It appears that it might be simplest to
> scan one image at a time, since the auto thumbnail
> feature seems to get confused when the images are
> not in a single four-image strip.

That's been my experience too.

When scanning for archival purposes in general, my inclination is to not crop at all at the scan stage, but rather record every last little bit of the image possible. For my own purposes, I can always crop a copy of the scan later in a photo editing program, and I can't predict what uses others will have for the raw scans in the future, or how important the glimpse of that "thing" in the background will be. I've been on the other end of the equation, having to re-scan negatives that someone cropped too tightly, so I try to include it all so it's available to whomever comes next. That's one benefit to de-mounting transparencies - there's often more image hiding under the frame. In the case of some 120's I was scanning recently, the frame covered quite a bit of exposed image, to the point that the glue holding the frame together was stuck to exposed picture area! Any hints on how to safely remove glue from the emulsion side of 60-year-old Ansco film?

Date: 07/24/14 22:06
Author: Bob3985

Great photo Don and I like the old rotary sitting behind the 4005 also.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 07/27/14 18:11
Author: 4-12-2

Don,

I believe that this image has to have been taken in the Cheyenne, WY roundhouse not long before 4005 was sent south to Denver for display at the Forney Museum.

We have read that there was no painting in Green River (which, of course, must be a late-day reality as, without any doubt, painting occurred there on a daily basis during "steam days"). Thus, and especially with the rotary plow clearly in the adjacent stall, I think it 99.9% certain that this is in the
Cheyenne 'house.

John Bush
Omaha

Date: 07/28/14 12:33
Author: Realist

4-12-2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don,
>
> I believe that this image has to have been taken
> in the Cheyenne, WY roundhouse not long before
> 4005 was sent south to Denver for display at the
> Forney Museum.
>
> We have read that there was no painting in Green
> River (which, of course, must be a late-day
> reality as, without any doubt, painting occurred
> there on a daily basis during "steam days").
> Thus, and especially with the rotary plow clearly
> in the adjacent stall, I think it 99.9% certain
> that this is in the
> Cheyenne 'house.
>
> John Bush
> Omaha

Touch-up painting possibly, but the GR shop was neither
large enough (in scope, not in physical size) nor did it
do the type of heavy work that resulted in complete paint
jobs. That kind of work was done mostly in Omaha, Cheyenne,
Pocatello, Albina, and East LA in steam days. GR most
certainly was not a paint shop during the time period
discussed.

IIRC, the last shops that could paint steam locos were
Omaha and Cheyenne, with Cheyenne being the last one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/14 12:57 by Realist.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0887 seconds