Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Steam & Excursion > Heading To The Mill In A Hurry Southwest Lumber Mills!

Date: 07/26/14 04:25
Heading To The Mill In A Hurry Southwest Lumber Mills!
Author: LoggerHogger

You can sense that the urgency the crew on Southwest Lumber Mills #2 has to get their loads of logs to the mill at Flagstaff, Arizona in this Richard Thomas photo. Perhaps they are about to go dead on hours of service, or maybe they just want to get some fishing in before dark.

The date is the mid-1950's and Baldwin 2-8-0 #2 shares log hauling duty with a large Baldwin 2-6-6-2 #12 that was formerly a tank mallet but then had her tanks removed and a tender added.

For now, let's step back out of the way and watch #2 and her train as it races past us bound for the mill log pond.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/14 04:31 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 07/26/14 07:32
Re: Heading To The Mill In A Hurry Southwest Lumber Mil
Author: steamfan759

Great photo and story as always!! It looks like the brakeman is sitting on top of the doghouse to make sure that they do not lose any logs!!! Thanks again for sharing your collection!!

Ron

Date: 07/26/14 09:28
Author: YG

You can look at this image, close your eyes, and hear the sound of this short train passing...

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 07/26/14 13:07
Author: wpjones

This shot has the feel of the Black Hills Central.
Steve

Date: 07/26/14 21:11
Author: Earlk

Back in 1963-64 I was in the back of the family station wagon enroute from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon for a camping trip. We got stopped by #2 at a crossing at the south edge of Flagstaff. My encounter with #2 was the first time I had seen an operating steam locomotive.

Date: 07/31/14 23:40
Author: SW1200

Interesting that there are no side stakes to keep the logs in place. Just chains I imagine? Looks rather precarious. Nice photo, thanks for sharing.

SW1200

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0485 seconds