Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Steam & Excursion > Webcam Installed On Cumbres Pass

Date: 10/20/14 20:52
Webcam Installed On Cumbres Pass
Author: N0DMT

. . . . by the Colorado Department of Transportation as part of their state wide video and still camera network.

Right location, wrong road.

Steven Forney
Lakewood, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/14 20:52 by N0DMT.

Date: 10/21/14 04:33
Re: Webcam Installed On Cumbres Pass
Author: Labby

I, for one, do not want that pole there.

Date: 10/21/14 16:42
Author: tomstp

They could have put that in a better location. I can't tell that you will have anything to compare snow debth in that first picture.

Date: 10/21/14 17:08
Author: Cumbresfan

Not shown yet on CDOT website:

http://www.cotrip.org/device.htm?type=still

Date: 10/21/14 19:45
Author: dan

maybe to get cell signal they put it there

Date: 10/22/14 02:15
Author: lwilton

Labby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I, for one, do not want that pole there.

Why not? Is it on your property?

Date: 10/22/14 06:02

The webcam on Cumbres is located south of the section house, at the edge of the highway cut. It shouldn't be in photos taken from the usual locations. Cell phone coverage is pretty good around the area most people roam, so long as Rabbit Peak is in view. Colorado DOT doesn't have it available on their website yet. I don't know if the existing snow depth stick will be visible, but I doubt it. Another webcam pole is on La Manga pass. That location may require a satellite link, as cell coverage there doesn't exist. The snow stake there is not close to the cam site.

Steven Forney
Lakewood, CO

Date: 10/22/14 22:26
Author: Abqfoamer

Kudos to CDOT for this welcome addition to Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad coverage on the 10,015 foot high Pass, especially to show how much snow will pile up there.
But their traffic cam in Antonito at US285/CO17, showing the C&TS yard, has been dark since July, confirmed by another viewer. CDOT posted that my computer may not have refreshed the site's latest pics, the message accompanied by two views on 285 at Villa Grove, miles north of Antonito ?!
Ya win some...

Date: 10/23/14 05:23

I've checked the Antonito cam from different computers since July and haven't seen any picture. Maybe if I bought a new computer. I tried to spot the cam when I went thru Antonito last Monday, but saw only streetlamps. Maybe its being relocated.

Steven Forney
Lakewood, CO

Date: 10/23/14 11:02
Author: Abqfoamer

Per the SE view direction and elevation, the cam is/was mounted diagonally across 17 just west of the corner, maybe on the new firehouse there??
Let's see how the Cumbres startup goes.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0483 seconds