Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Steam & Excursion > Trains Mag renewal subsciption

Current Page:1 of 4

Date: 10/31/14 14:52
Trains Mag renewal subsciption
Author: apollo17

I really couldn't find the right place here to post this question, but settled on Steam & Excursion since the majority of my posts are here. My subscription for Trains is up for renewal and even though it's my decision in the end to renew or not, I'd like to find out what you guys think of the magazine in general. It seems alright to me, but most times I get FAR more info here on Trainorders than Trains Magazine would even touch on. Your opinions do matter. Thanks.

Date: 10/31/14 14:55
Re: Trains Mag renewal subsciption
Author: myjbh1989

I let mine expire. I don't miss it

Date: 10/31/14 15:05
Author: Frisco1522

I haven't bought one for years because I have no personal interest in contemporary railroading and it seemed like it drifted rather heavily into that. We don't have a hobby shop around here where I could get a quick look to see if it had any "dinosaur" stuff in it.
I'm a crabby old man, don't like diesels or contemporary railroading and basically have holed up in the basement to build HO brass steam and scan my negative collection.
Today's RRs. Meh

Date: 10/31/14 15:07
Author: jmw

After receiving Trains in the mail for 34 years I opted for the digital version. I like the publication but I think I keep renewing mostly for sentimental reasons.

JMW

Date: 10/31/14 15:13
Author: HotWater

I must admit that I gave up on Trains quite some time ago. Thus I only subscribe to Classic Trains Magazine, as it is all about REAL railroading from the 40s thru the 60/70s. As a previous "supporter" of Trains Magazine, going back into the 1950s, plus a sometimes contributor, it no longer is "The Magazine of Railroading" for me.

Date: 10/31/14 15:33
Author: Railfan4Christ

Just got the new one in the mail; it's ok, they have a good story on Doug Harrop that looks interesting. I like Fred Frailey and Don Phillips columns, photo section is good. Those are the main reasons I subscribe. It's more industry news and less about railfanning. If you are really into contemporary railroading, it's good. But, if I had to choose to drop one subscription, it would be Trains instead of Classic Trains.

Tom

Date: 10/31/14 15:48
Author: Copy19

I can't imagine the end of the month without Trains Magazine showing up in my mailbox. This month was a double treat as Trains Classic in the box as well!

John Bromley
Omaha, Nebraska

Date: 10/31/14 16:00
Author: glibby

I value my subscription and read each issue quite thoroughly. It's an excellent way to keep abreast of the industry, and while it's true that the current industry is the primary focus, instead of preservation and history, there is a decent amount of material on those latter subjects. I strongly prefer Classic Trains, as do many others, but that's only quarterly, unlike Trains, which is monthly.

I've been a Trains subscriber for more than 40 years and would not let my subscription lapse under any circumstances.

Date: 10/31/14 16:05
Author: raytc1944

Trains Magazine has been a part of my life since my subscription
started in 1957 (I actually bought my first copy in 1954). I still
look forward to finding it in my mail box! One of the nice touches
in the "modern era Trains" is the maps.

Date: 10/31/14 16:27
Author: ClubCar

I'll be honest. There are times when I truly enjoy it and then there are times when I don't. I'm a senior citizen also and although some stories are really interesting there are times when the whole issue just does not appeal to my taste. However I have kept renewing each time it comes up. I don't like a lot of the photos the same as I have stated on here, when they are full of cars with graffiti. To me that's only making the perpetrators of vandalism glorify in their destruction of others property.

Date: 10/31/14 16:33
Author: callum_out

Digital, don't have to throw away the 85% which isn't interesting.

Out

Date: 10/31/14 16:38
Author: junctiontower

I'm a dedicated subscriber. Yes, some issues are better than others, but what magazine or TV show CAN'T you say that about?

Posted from Android

Date: 10/31/14 16:45
Author: sagehen

I've subscribed to Trains since about 1964, when I was a kid in high school. It's always been good - at times better - but I am always satisfied. They've always done a very good job.

You could keep up with your main areas of railroad interest through websites and specialized publications, but to get a well-rounded view of all aspects of the industry, from the big business of railroading to railfanning, I think Trains Magazine is essential.

Stan Praisewater

Date: 10/31/14 17:10
Author: Palhoghead

I've been a subscriber since 1975. Now that I have retired, it helps keep me up to speed with what's going on in the industry.

Date: 10/31/14 17:19
Author: RuleG

I feel that Trains provides a good balance of contemporary and historic subjects. As I've stated previously, one of my favorite features is map of the month. There's nothing like it on the Internet. Additionally, I feel that I get exposed to more different aspects of railroading through Trains than I do on the Internet.

Yes, the news in Trains hardcopy is outdated by the time its published, but subscribers have access to Trains.com Newswire. Not everything reported on the Newswire is posted on Trainorders.

Finally, with the National Railway Historical Society's future in question, I believe that Trains and Classic Trains will play an increasingly important role in promoting the railfan hobby.

Date: 10/31/14 17:20
Author: NS19K

myjbh1989 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I let mine expire. I don't miss it

Same here, especially after they continue give Ed Dickens a place to spew his lies without reproach in regards to the U.P Steam program.

Date: 10/31/14 17:47
Re: Trains Mag renewal subscription
Author: terrybaker

I've been a subscriber since the late 50's and won't be renewing at the end of December; over the years the magazine has changed and so have I, which is to be expected.

I think Kalmbach is betting on a more technical, pro-industry approach for TRAINS to attract a younger demographic, and I can't fault them for that; heck, I even wish them luck, but really have no interest in my hobby magazine going in that direction.

And fortunately for those of us who lean (or totter) toward nostalgia, Kalmbach also publishes the wonderful CLASSIC TRAINS, which I usually read from cover-to-cover. Add in the various historical societies and their excellent publications, and my personal reading requirements are more than satisfied.

Date: 10/31/14 17:51
Author: HotWater

NS19K Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> myjbh1989 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I let mine expire. I don't miss it
>
>
> Same here, especially after they continue give Ed
> Dickens a place to spew his lies without reproach
> in regards to the U.P Steam program.

I didn't want to be the first one to state that but, that is the main reason I no longer even read Trains, let alone subscribe. I sure do miss reading Don Philips though.

Date: 10/31/14 18:24
Re: Trains Mag renewal subscription
Author: callum_out

Terry, that's pretty funny, the industry stuff is all that I read and I don't
think I'm too far off your age. But then I guess we've hit upon the problem,
you can't be everything to everyone and expect everybody (leave anybody out?)
to be happy.

Out

Date: 10/31/14 18:27
Author: sphogger

Terrybaker touches on something of interesting here.

"I think Kalmbach is betting on a more technical, pro-industry approach for TRAINS to attract a younger demographic"

Is this hobby facing a demographic cliff? Looks to me like most of us posting to this thread are AARP eligible. I see plenty of dad's with the kids out there but very few young railfan's chasing trains on their own. I suspect their activities have more to do with bits and bytes. I'm not sure what Kalmbach could do to draw in younger people.

Sphogger

Current Page:1 of 4

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0618 seconds