Home Open Account Help 198 users online

Steam & Excursion > Steamtown

Date: 11/26/14 20:44
Steamtown
Author: pennsy3750

The last thread on Steamtown devolved into a bunch of old farts talking about why they hate the government, with little actual discussion of the status of steam there. So, I thought I'd narrow down the question a little in order to (hopefully) cut through some of the political BS and get some actual info.

That said, can anyone shed further light on the status of the following engines?

B&M 3713 - Long-term project. Maybe done by 2017?
BLW 26 - Also long-term project, but nearing completion. Last photo I saw had her being re-assembled and getting close to a steam test.
CP 2317 - Boiler time expired. No further plans for her at this time?
CN 3254 - Sidelined, for reason(s) unknown to me. I thought she still had some boiler time remaining?

Date: 11/26/14 22:20
Re: Steamtown
Author: bankshotone

Not that long ago if I am remembering correctly the 4012 was being considered for restoration to operation but the problem was where to run it, turning, bridges ect. Has there been anymore talk about it? Or just your typical rumors?

Date: 11/26/14 22:56
Author: railstiesballast

Maybe if you did not call them "farts" in public they would share some information with us.

TO should not be a place to call each other names.

Have a nice Thanksgiving holiday.....

Date: 11/27/14 02:48
Author: Mgoldman

pennsy3750 Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------

> B&M 3713 - 2017 sounds like a good guess.
Y'know, that or - "She'll be done when she's done.
This will help speed things up:

http://laurellines.org/3713/donfm.pdf

More info here: http://www.project3713.com/

> BLW 26 - Rumored to be back in steam in time for
Railfest 2013. How is this not done yet?
Now in dark olive green paint - as it was
in service at Baldwin.

> CP 2317 - Time expired - next up for restoration
after B&M #3713.

> CN 3254 - Mechanical issues and nearing end of
service. A "rough rider" from what I
heard and not likely to run again, though
proposed next after 2317.

>> UP 4014 - I think long - long ago, a Steamtown study
proposed a list of engines it thought were
viable candidates for restoration to oper-
ation. UP #4014 I believe was on that list
but it is unlikely we'll ever see that.
The D&H had articulates and I assume they
even ran on the line Steamtown uses so size
should not be an issue - only ambition and
funds.

Corrections welcome.

/Mitch

Date: 11/27/14 03:17
Author: ClubCar

There was also a rumor that Steamtown was considering restoring the Reading 2124 some years back. It's a sad place for sure, lots of money wasted over the years.

Date: 11/27/14 07:05
Author: aehouse

pennsy3750 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The last thread on Steamtown devolved into a bunch
> of old farts talking about why they hate the
> government, with little actual discussion of the
> status of steam there.

The Old Farts then checked their bank accounts to see if the Social Security deposits were in....

Date: 11/27/14 07:10
Author: Keystone1

The Steamtown Big Boy is #4012. Steamtown itself is not about running steam locomotives, it is about employment, paid time off for "deer season", and pensions...period. Now see, I wrote that without ever mentioning the government.

Date: 11/27/14 07:42
Author: goldcoast

Some of us old farts receive railroad retirement.

Date: 11/27/14 09:38
Author: PHall

goldcoast Wrote:
> Some of us old farts receive railroad retirement.

Which is paid by that nasty old government!

Date: 11/27/14 09:49
Author: Keystone1

No...Mr. PHall I disagree with you. Yea, technically the S.S. check "comes" from the government, but, as any investor will tell you, if the same amount of money was put into an account for you, since your first paying job, you would have 3 or 4 times the total amount of funds to withdraw. Ask anyone. S.S. is a very poor investment. But, most people live 100% off each pay check, and never put money aside for retirement. This is a "forced" investment. The government puts this money into the general funds (NOT a locked box), and uses it for social programs to win votes. That's why more people are needed in this country, to make up for the S.S. checks that have no money to back them.

Date: 11/27/14 11:33
Author: co614

As a certified member of the old farts club please allow me to remind everyone that Steamtown is essentially a Federal jobs program using steam railroading heritage as its vehicle.

The classic, glaring example of this is the amount of time ( and money) spent rebuilding that little switcher. IIRC they've been at that for nearly 15 YEARS, yes, YEARS and its not running yet. Only the Federal gummit could get away with that!!!

Oh well, it is what it is and it ain't gonna change.

Ross Rowland

Date: 11/27/14 11:58
Author: PHall

Keystone1 Wrote:
> No...Mr. PHall I disagree with you. Yea,
> technically the S.S. check "comes" from the
> government, but, as any investor will tell you, if
> the same amount of money was put into an account
> for you, since your first paying job, you would
> have 3 or 4 times the total amount of funds to
> withdraw. Ask anyone. S.S. is a very poor
> investment. But, most people live 100% off each
> pay check, and never put money aside for
> retirement. This is a "forced" investment. The
> government puts this money into the general funds
> (NOT a locked box), and uses it for social
> programs to win votes. That's why more people are
> needed in this country, to make up for the S.S.
> checks that have no money to back them.

Well, if congress would quit "borrowing" (that they never pay back) from the Social Security Trust Fund the "return on investment" from the money you put in would be higher.

Date: 11/27/14 16:01
Author: thefracturedfrog

Don't hold your breath for there being any steam in Steamtown any time soon. They have no money. The government has no interest in continuing to fund it. I have heard murmurs, though I cannot attest to their truthfulness, regarding dumping it/selling it off.

Unfortunately, this is kind of a microcosm of what happens when you let the government run things. They hire people and pay them, but nothing gets done.

Getting personal and calling people names won't get you answers. These "old farts" have lived much more than you and you could stand to learn a thing or two. Respect others. Respect your elders. It would behoove you to revisit those lessons from your youth.

-Froggie (31 farty years old)

Date: 11/27/14 16:13
Author: bigjim4life

Date: 11/27/14 19:22
Author: jethat

like all parks Steam town is ran to be self supporting. Most national parks here were I live more then pay for themselves. The money the bring in to the local economy is critical. During the last shut down the republican controlled state legislature voted in an emergency session to fund the National Parks because there closure was killing the economy's around them! Steam town was set aside because of its value. Part of that value is to the area in witch it resides.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0788 seconds