Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Steam & Excursion > March 23, 2002

Date: 03/23/15 19:12
March 23, 2002
Author: burlingtonjohn

On the trip from Portland to Bend. Dreams do come true ...

Regards,
Burlington John

THE source for American Freeom Train fans
http://www.freedomtrain.org/

American Freedom Train Fans Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/713733358657025/

Date: 03/23/15 20:32
Re: March 23, 2002
Author: boltmansacto

Was noticing the flags; Strong tailwind or is the train going backwards ??

Steve

Date: 03/23/15 21:11
Author: Mgoldman

boltmansacto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was noticing the flags; Strong tailwind or is the
> train going backwards ??
>
> Steve

Smoke seems to be ahead of the engine as well - maybe paused or backing
up?

This repaint as the American Freedom Train seemed very short lived - was
there a story behind it?  Don't recall much publicity nor a lot  of photos of
the event, but then again, it was back in 2002 - I think I still was using
Compuserve, lol and posting in Alt.binery groups... (maybe not).

/Mitch

Date: 03/24/15 05:06
Author: flash34

I believe they were backing up for a runby. As for the paint, after the 9/11 attacks, the decision was made to paint the engine back in AFT colors, from the black scheme it had been in since early 2000 for the BNSF Employee specials, and try to run a trip in early 2002 before their existing excursion insurance ran out. By fall 2004 the engine was back in Daylight colors for the trip to Montana.

Date: 03/24/15 05:18

The train was backing up for a photo runby.  

I am most likely wrong on some of the dates, but it has been a few years. To give you all a short version of the story, 4449 had been painted black for the BNSF Employee Specials and it was announced in the fall of 2001 that 4449 would be repainted from BNSF black in time to operate on an overnight trip from Portland to Bend Oregon and back.

Everybody out here in cyberland assumed that 4449 would once again wear the famous Daylight colors. Who could blame them? Seemed logical. The repaint announcement and the events of 9/11 give rise to an idea. I remember posting (maybe here on TO?) that considering the events of 9/11 and that there were a whole generation of fans who had never seen it and there is a large group of fans that would like a chance at 4449 with something better than an instamatic, it would be great to see the red/white/blue colors of the American Freedom Train return.

The SP purists out there scoffed at the idea, saying that 4449 belonged in Daylight and Daylight only.  That was countered with that if it weren't for the Freedom Train, 4449 could very well be sitting in Oaks Park. The debate was spirited and lively as you might imagine.

Tickets went on sale and sold out quickly with no announcement of what the paint scheme would be.  The debate continued. One a day in January, one of the 4449 crew sent me an email with a photo attached. The email said "we shot the first coat of white paint today".

To say that I was ecstatic would be an understatement.  I'll spare you all of the details, but my family and I made the trip to Portland.  I drove to the Brooklyn Roundhouse a couple of days before the excursion and walked through the door, seeing something that I had not seen in nearly 26 years; indeed, something I thought I would never see again.  4449 was resplendent in the colors that made me fall in love all those years ago. My eyes got a little misty.  I was able to see Doyle and HotWater for the first time in several years and even snagged a cab ride as 4449 was moved out for servicing.  I told Doyle that I thought 4449 had never looked better and to pay no mind to the naysayers.

He replied 'shoot, if somebody came up with the money for us to run, I'd paint the thing pink!' I was able ride the trip, volunteering to help out with souvenir sales in the "Better Idea" baggage car. It was great meeting the crew and so many TO posters.

4449 stayed in AFT colors for another two years or so before once again wearing the daylight scheme. But for one brief moment, we fans of the American Freedom Train were able be young once again ....

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 03/24/15 15:52
Author: nycman

Here's one of mine from the same back up for runbys at Kaskela on the Oregon Trunk.  That was a great trip and it has been hashed over many times on TO.  One thing that Burlington John omitted from his "trip" with his family to ride the excursion, was that trip was from San Diego, CA to Portland, OR, and he may have set a new speed record in order to make it.  John and I met on this trip, and John worked the whole thing in the concession car and elsewhere.  It was the ONLY trip where one could purchase the much sought after baseball cap with the American flag and "4449" lettered on it.  Unforgettable.

Date: 03/24/15 19:45

nycman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was the
> ONLY trip where one could purchase the much sought
> after baseball cap with the American flag and
> "4449" lettered on it.  Unforgettable.

Indeed it was Fitz! I didn't know the Bend trip where the 4449 flag hat was the only one where it was available, learn something new every day!  Attached is a photo of mine with some of my AFT goodies here in the Man Cave ... bought the hat and over $200 worth of other goodies on the trip. I was my own best customer!

Regards,
Burlington John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0784 seconds