Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Steam & Excursion > 1979 NRHS Washington D.C. to Harper's Ferry

Date: 03/30/15 18:53
1979 NRHS Washington D.C. to Harper's Ferry
Author: milfordgap

Pics 1/2: Our power before one partially died.Pic 3: Best part of the Southern consist.

Date: 03/30/15 18:55
Re: 1979 NRHS Washington D.C. to Harper's Ferry
Author: Mgoldman

What a circus!   ; )

Always liked that livery!

/Mitch

Date: 03/30/15 18:58

In/near Harper's Ferry.

Date: 03/30/15 19:01

Railfanning in Harper's Ferry.

Date: 03/30/15 19:04

Sightseeing along the route.

Date: 03/30/15 19:05

Pic 1: Traction motor fire near Gaithersburg. Pic 2: Gaithersburg station.

Date: 03/30/15 19:39
Author: mopacrr

I was on that trip, and got off at Harper's Ferry , but the train went on to Martinsburg to be turned. I was able to get similar slides while waiting for the train to return.

Date: 03/30/15 19:55
Author: RuleG

Anyone who wants to listen to the wonderful sounds of the F7's horns should type "Farewell to the WM Fs" into a search engine and go to the video section.

Date: 03/31/15 02:46
Author: ClubCar

Thanks for the great memories milfordgap.  In your second photo you can see that that first passenger car was a B&O car.  I rode in this car.  This car is the "Edward G. Hooper" and belonged to the group RailRoad Passenger Cars, Inc. known as "RRP."  This car has a ton of history and was the observation car with ex-C&O 614 when it operated as the "Chessie Steam Safety Express" train in 1980 & 81.  This car is one of the cars that RRP donated to the B&O Railroad Museum when they closed down their club in 1995 due to high insurance costs.  The management of the B&O Railroad Museum does not care about this car or the other B&O passenger cars since this car, #3302 has been left in the front yard to rust away.  I have several friends who belonged to RRP and I know that this group kept that car in 1st class shape prior to it going to the B&O R.R. Museum.  Trust me, this is a crime.  Just look at the attached photo of what was once a beautiful first class car.

John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 03/31/15 04:07
Author: ClubCar

Here is another photo of the "Edward G. Hooper" B&O 3302 at Cumberland, Maryland.  This car ran with Amtrak on several trips and also was used by the Chessie System along with their own office cars.  The car had 30 lounge seats plus some non-revenue tables and chairs and a full service bar for refreshments.  The railroad management loved this car and continued to use it until Chessie was merged into CSX with the Seaboard, therefore they had many additional cars of their own for their special trains.
And this is why I do NOT belong to the B&O R.R. Museum.  They will not restore this car nor will they accept funds for a restoration nor will they let any other volunteers work on this car.  Need I say more?

John in White Marsh, Maryland

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0742 seconds