Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Steam & Excursion > Tragedy

Date: 08/25/15 19:46
Tragedy
Author: IronDuke

Richard P. Yager II a.k.a IronDuke, the founder of Oregon Rail Supply passed away as of August 25th 4 P.M. Feuneral services are being scheduled. 
Cause of death is suspected to be his aorta bursting. 

He was a great man and will be with us always. 

I'm not a man of many words, but seeing as he frequented around here often I saw fit to inform everyone. 

~His son Richard P. Yager III 

P.S I know this is a copy paste from the MR section but in my current state I can't type up a new thread.

Date: 08/25/15 20:11
Re: Tragedy
Author: flash34

Sorry to hear this. I didn't know him well myself, but the guys were telling stories about him just yesterday at the engine house. He will be missed.

Scott Gordon

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/25/15 20:29
Author: P

Sorry to hear of your dad's sudden passing.   Thank you for sharing the news.

Date: 08/25/15 20:37
Author: LJohnson

He was one of the best men I ever met, one who taught me so much.
Thanks for everything my friend, long live God's whistle and the 765!

Luke Johnson

Date: 08/25/15 23:25
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Oh, no!  What awful news!  I am so very very sorry
for your great loss.  We have lost another irreplacable
man.  My deep condolences to you and the rest of his
family and his friends. 

R.I.P., Iron Duke. 

Date: 08/26/15 00:07
Author: IronDuke

Thank you all.

Date: 08/26/15 04:08
Author: andrgrif

R.I.P Richard He did a great job of keeping my Mom's favorite steam engine running.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/15 04:09 by andrgrif.

Date: 08/26/15 06:01
Author: HotWater

I first met Dick on July 2, 1975, after AFT 4449 had backed up to the EMD Engineering Test Building. Didn't take long for Dick, and the rest of the crew to become good friends, which has lasted more than 40 years. Dick, Doyle and I sure had a lot of good times together. Our daughter always referred to the three of us as "The Dick, Daddy, and Doyle show.".

Rest in peace old buddy!

Date: 08/26/15 06:33
Author: NKP779

Dick started out in Fort Wayne, IN.  Shortly after we got the FWRHS started and were getting ready to move the "767", Dick got on board and was a key person during the first overhaul.  He was a treat, a never to be forgotten character.  We'll always remember him.

Date: 08/26/15 06:52
Author: OHCR1551

Oh, my. He will indeed be sadly missed.

Rebecca Morgan
Jacobsburg, OH

Date: 08/26/15 07:24
Author: Rich_Melvin

I only met Dick a couple of times, in my early days on the 765 crew back in the early 80's. He was a "larger than life" character with a big voice, and a big heart.

My condolences to the Yager family.

Rich Melvin
Columbus, OH
My Web Site

Date: 08/26/15 07:28
Author: Frisco1522

That's sad news.  He was one of the good guys and a true character.
My deepest condolences.

Date: 08/26/15 10:35
Re: Tragedy (image 207kb)
Author: BryanTCook

This is the 765, in Montgomery, WV I believe.  In 1992.  I was in North Carolina for 3 weeks for my employer, but the weekends were free for other stuff.  The 765 was pulling the New River trains on CSX.  The odometer on the rental car turned 2700 (the C&O Berk no's) when I drove into Beckley, WV.  Things were looking good.  Dick had given  me the names of some of the 765 engine crew guys and said  "Go look those guys up.  Have 'em show you what a REAL steam locomotive looks like."  Well, I did.  Everything Dick, Doyle and Jack said about the Nickle Plate Berks was true.  She had a hold of more than 25 cars and the New River Gorge was a cake walk.  The Hooters t-shirt on the guy in the foreground said it all:  More than a mouthful.   Dick woulda liked that picture.  The other week-end I got to see the N&W 611 run between Salisbury and Asheville.  On the plane the last Friday morning to head home,  I had a head-smacking V-8 moment:  For the price of a vacation day I could have caught the "Clinchfield 676" in Kentucky the next day, played by the UP3985.  I can hear Dick now.  "Woulda, coulda, shoulda ..."
Prayers for the Yager family.  "That's why-AAA-gee-eee-arr".

Date: 08/26/15 13:32
Re: Tragedy (image 207KB)
Author: wcamp1472

I'll always remember Dick, and a few friends, chasing the 759 & The Blue Train (1969) eastbound, across Ohio.
He was always 'up' for anything, with steam trains.

He was great to have around at Conneaut in 68 & 69'
Full of humor & so full of Life!
A big, wonderful, BEAR of a man

He made us all laugh, A LOT!

I express my Deepest sympathies to his family and friends...... 

Wes Camp

Date: 08/26/15 13:53
Author: daylightfan

Never met him, but from some of the steam locomotive videos I've seen him in he seemed like a helluva guy.

Date: 08/26/15 15:11
Author: weather

I first met Dick also in 1975 when the #4449 left Oregon for its first run east.  Like myself, Dick was extremely proud of his Son who is and was the light of his life.  He was always talking about how sucessful he was.  This is not the greatest picture, but here he is at the opening of ORHF several years ago in happier times.  High Ball the roll by Dick!   My best to His So, Sincerely, Mike

Date: 08/26/15 22:36
Author: burlingtonjohn

Had the honor of meeting your Dad several times over the years and visiting with him via PMs. A real class act; my sincere sympathies.

Respectfully,
Burlington John

Date: 08/27/15 15:03
Author: ProAmtrak

Sorry for your loss man, prayers to your and your family!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds