Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Steam & Excursion > SP 4449 & Holiday Express

Date: 10/20/15 18:26
SP 4449 & Holiday Express
Author: asheldrake

The ORHF's Holiday Express tickets are now on sale at TicketsWest.com   Progress continues on wrapping up the 15-year inspection as Mark Kramer and Pat Tracy put on some skirting.   Picture taken 10/20 in Portland, Oregon.   Arlen 

Date: 10/20/15 19:03
Re: SP 4449 & Holiday Express
Author: flash34

Also note veteran 4449 fireman Craig Thomas in the cab along with his friend Steve, helping Mike Warren finish the jacketing in the cab so the rest of the backhead fittings can be re-installed.

Date: 10/20/15 19:10
Author: ProAmtrak

Now that's how to get a steam engine back up and running, teamwork and throw the egos out the door!

Posted from Android

Date: 10/21/15 07:10
Author: BoilingMan

Both Craig & Steve are old AFTers, Craig was a regular AFT employee and Steve rode along as a volunteer for a few weeks in Nov '76.
SR

Date: 10/21/15 07:41
Author: BAB

Great work by all involved and to visit there  is another thing. Dont know if I have ever been in a working shop that allowed people to get up close like you can there.

Date: 10/21/15 09:24

Good point "BAB".  Those of us who work the visitor side of the house really appreciate the cooperation and support we get from the engine & passenger working folk.  We need each other for our continued survival and most of us recognize this fact.   Daily we remind our selves that just a bit over three years ago we were in a place that reeked of history but could not accomodate the public and was dark, damp, and dirty.   And we get to watch the passing traffic on the Brooklyn Sub..............Arlen

Date: 10/21/15 21:58
Author: Stevo_Weimario

I felt honored to have the opportunity to have a chance to work with some very talented and dedicated folks, even if only for a few hours. It was enjoyable to see old friends and make new acquaintances. The 49 is in very capable hands. Plus, their new facility is nothing short of fantastic!

S_W

Date: 10/21/15 22:44

That's great to hear and yea the Brooklyn goes right by it, saw the tenders of 4449 and 700 outside the shop when I was riding 14 and 11 to/from Seattle last year, one of these days I need to make a trip to Portland and check out that shop complex which will be easier since that light rail extension should be almost done!

Date: 10/21/15 23:00
Author: sp3204

It was an honor to meet both you Scott and Mark, new friends! It was like old home week seeing Pat Tracy, Mike Warren, Bob Slover and George Lavacot. We have seen many miles and many states crewing the '49 together. It leaves no doubt in my mind the professionalism you guys exhibit, and all the long hard hours you are putting in, she will be bringing joy to the next generation. Doyle...Thank you for letting Steve and I get dirty for just one day. The guys and her new home are the best.
Craig

Date: 10/21/15 23:13

The MAX light rail Orange line opened 9/12/2015 and stops one short block from the Oregon Rail Heritage Center as does the Portland Streetcar at the OMSI/Water Avenue station.  For those coming to Portland via Amtrak, walk one block south and catch the MAX Yellow line at the back side of the Greyhound depot.....the yellow line changes to orange (they tell me this is called interlining) in downtown Portland for a direct ride to ORHC.

Date: 10/24/15 22:24

Thanks for the heads up because I saw the tracks still under construction when I took no. 11 south back to California!

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0423 seconds