Home Open Account Help 396 users online

Steam & Excursion > You can have your own Big Boy

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 03/21/16 18:25
You can have your own Big Boy
Author: Spoony81

For a small sum of $245,000 you can own this 1.6" scale 7-1/2" gauge Big Boy. This was commissioned by Tom Miller and It's gorgeous. Anyplace in Cheyenne we could run this thing to make the DL jealous?
http://www.discoverlivesteam.com/discoverforsale/forsale/6_Miller/index.htm#Bigboy

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/21/16 18:29
Re: You can have your own Big Boy
Author: HotWater

Tom has had his whole "estate" up for sale for quite a few years now. Having visited there, the whole place is surely worth the asking price, including all the live steam pieces and his spectacular G Gauge D&RGW indoor layout (in its own special building).

Date: 03/21/16 18:32
Author: Spoony81

Yeah me and my wife saw the listing online last year. I can't imagine the cost to keep the place in tip top shape. I guess if you're spending the money to buy the place you probably have the money to keep it up. I'm sure my 4-1/2 yr old son would love it though

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/21/16 18:32
Author: callum_out

Joel Bragdon had nearly 1000 hours just in the scenery on the indoor layout, the place is incredible,
just needs right buyer.

Out

Date: 03/21/16 18:50
Author: DKay

Had the priviledge of visiting Tom's little piece of paradise back in 08 ,while attending the narrow gauge convention in Portland.Money ,and time is all you need.
Regards,DK

Date: 03/21/16 18:53

A couple more

Date: 03/21/16 19:23
Author: callum_out

The K36 is 2 1/2" scale.

Out

Date: 03/21/16 20:01
Author: Bob3985

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tom has had his whole "estate" up for sale for
> quite a few years now. Having visited there, the
> whole place is surely worth the asking price,
> including all the live steam pieces and his
> spectacular G Gauge D&RGW indoor layout (in its
> own special building).
​Jack, If I remember right didn't Lynn, Steve, Harold and I go with you there. I remember getting photos from there.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/16 20:13 by Bob3985.

Date: 03/21/16 20:04

Toys ,and the workshop.

Date: 03/21/16 20:18
Author: Frisco1522

If some other selfish weenies hadn't won the Powerball, I'd be living there as we speak.   That whole package is beyond belief.

Date: 03/21/16 20:22

Love your thinking Frisco,the thought had crossed my mind also.
Someone mentioned here a couple of years ago,that he had the big boy built in the UK.When it was completed ,he had it air freighted home.I like his style.
regards,dK

Frisco1522 Wrote:
> If some other selfish weenies hadn't won the
> Powerball, I'd be living there as we speak.  
> That whole package is beyond belief.

Date: 03/21/16 20:32
Author: CarolVoss

callum_out Wrote:
> Joel Bragdon had nearly 1000 hours just in the
> scenery on the indoor layout, the place is
> incredible,
> just needs right buyer.
>
> Out
by pure happenstance we became friends with Joels parents, Joe and Doris  Bragdon when we were docents at the Steinbeck Center in Salinas. Joe lent us videos that son Joel took of the project as he was developing it.  An amazing undertaking. 
C

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 03/21/16 21:31

Carol.That building you see in the second to last photo housed the layout that Joel helped create.I think it is 90x 60.Fabulous stuff.A view from the mezanine level.

Date: 03/21/16 21:42
Author: CarolVoss

DKay Wrote:
> Carol.That building you see in the second to last
> photo housed the layout that Joel helped create.I
> think it is 90x 60.Fabulous stuff.A view from the
> mezanine level.
joels video was taken by a camera mounted on the engine running thru the layout.  Joels parents are well into their 90's and it has been 3 or 4 years since we have had contact--joels father taught art and  photography at Hartnell CC here In salinas fir years and there was an exhibit at the Steinbeck of his work a couple of years ago --we saw Joel then but his  parents had moved to MA with his brother and werent able to attend.  I can only assume they are still alive since either one's death would be noted in the local press etc.
The Bragdons are a great family of artists,
C

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 03/21/16 21:51
Author: 4451Puff

Mind blown. How does one individual accumulate the money and time and energy to achieve such an undertaking? Like they say, at any given point of ones life, you can only have two of those three...

Desmond Praetzel, "4451 Puff"

Date: 03/22/16 04:14
Author: GMUP

As I recall when Tom moved to Oregon initially he was in Scio where he laid some track.  With the assistance of Jack Pfeifer I visited Tom circa 1983 when the Big Boy was pretty new and got to ride behind it on perhaps, I am guessing, 1/4 mile of track.  Sure sounded sweet!  As I recall its cost was stated to be about $1 million, much of which was for production costs for the multitude of wooden patterns for the castings. There had been a plan to produce more Big Boys for interested parties but the foundry had a destructive fire around the time 4005 was being built and the patterns were lost, so there was just the one.  Being some thirty-plus years ago some recollections are fuzzy but as I recall, the Millers moved a couple of years later.  During the Union Pacific Historical Society Convention in Portland, Tom brought 4005 to a live steamer site in a flower nursery farm near Portland to the delight of the convention attendees.   Gordon McCulloh

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/16 05:29 by GMUP.

Date: 03/22/16 07:19
Author: towazy

I've seen this listed as a real estate offering for years now. Just wondering if this individual,who obviously is,or was a man of means,could set this up as a museum or tourist attraction,thereby saving it. Maybe even with an endowment of some sort. Or maybe a group alonf the lines of Train Mountain.Would be a shame to see it dismantled after all the time and money invested to this point.I'd venture to say there is a VERY finite number of people out there with all the qualifications to purchase this outright,ie desire and financial.

​    Tom

Date: 03/22/16 07:26
Author: skidroe

This locomotive model should be in the Smithsonian or the Union Pacific museum in Omaha for the public to marvel at!

Date: 03/22/16 09:53
Author: NPCRR9

2011 video of Tom's railroads and Big Boy.

Miller estate railroads - 2011

Date: 03/22/16 10:35
Author: P

towazy Wrote:
> I've seen this listed as a real estate offering
> for years now. Just wondering if this
> individual,who obviously is,or was a man of
> means,could set this up as a museum or tourist
> attraction,thereby saving it. Maybe even with an
> endowment of some sort. Or maybe a group alonf the
> lines of Train Mountain.Would be a shame to see it
> dismantled after all the time and money invested
> to this point.I'd venture to say there is a VERY
> finite number of people out there with all the
> qualifications to purchase this outright,ie desire
> and financial.
>
> ​    Tom
>
>  
Perhaps that could happen if it remains on the market for a lengthy period of time unsold.    I would hope that while it sits unsold that the owner is at least exploring this possibility. 

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1232 seconds