Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Steam & Excursion > Cheyenne Depot Days - Steam Shop & Roundhouse

Current Page:1 of 4

Date: 05/21/16 22:44
Cheyenne Depot Days - Steam Shop & Roundhouse
Author: Odyssey

I attended the the Cheyenne Depot Days event today and was able to"tour" both the steam shop and roundhouse ... physical access was extremely limited because of active work on the 844 in the steam shop ... photography was a challenge for us shorter folk because of a 6+ foot high chain link fence placed to restrict access ... BUT, the belief is that the 844 will run for the Cheyenne Frontiers Day Train ... it has passed its first hydro test ... so a couple of images of the 844 ... apologize for the lack of better perspectives ... it was the best I could do given the circumstances:

1) left side view
2) right side view
3) left front closeup

There's a couple of more:

Date: 05/21/16 22:51
Re: Cheyenne Depot Days - Steam Shop & Roundhouse

there's a couple more

4) right side front close up
5)UP 3985 in the roundhouse

the 4014 has had essentially no work, the 3985 is definitely last on the agenda ... the tender is outside but protected... the 4014 is still targeted for a 2019 "run" ... the 3985 is now pushed back to maybe 2024 before she will run

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 05/21/16 22:59
Author: EastRailfan

You must have listened to the official propaganda line from Ed.  The real word I was told from those who can be trusted is that the 844 failed the hydro badly, with multiple leaks. Anyone still believing that the 844 will be done for CFD is living in fantasy land.

Jeff

Date: 05/21/16 23:10

I just posted what was presented ... if the 844 failed why would they still be working on it ... and as Sgt Schultz said ... I know nothing 

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 05/21/16 23:36
Author: NKPBernet

Odyssey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I attended the the Cheyenne Depot Days event today
> and was able to"tour" both the steam shop and
> roundhouse ... physical access was extremely
> limited because of active work on the 844 in the
> steam shop ... photography was a challenge for us
> shorter folk because of a 6+ foot high chain link
> fence placed to restrict access ... BUT, the
> belief is that the 844 will run for the Cheyenne
> Frontiers Day Train ... it has passed its first
> hydro test ... so a couple of images of the 844
> ... apologize for the lack of better perspectives
> ... it was the best I could do given the
> circumstances:
>
> 1) left side view
> 2) right side view
> 3) left front closeup
>
> There's a couple of more:
>  

Looks like they started adding some insulation around the boiler. If they passed the first Hydro, when is the final one scheduled?

-Dave

Date: 05/22/16 00:45
Author: MaryMcPherson

Am I wrong or if it passed its hydrostatic test, wouldn't that be it?  It passed.  Move on to the next step.

Not being a smart a**, just curious.  Am I missing something here besides Engine Dysfunction?

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 05/22/16 01:43
Author: WauhopM

MAN LOOK HOW SHINY IT IS I'M DEFINITELY IMPRESSED!

Date: 05/22/16 04:02
Author: junctiontower

MaryMcPherson Wrote:
> Am I wrong or if it passed its hydrostatic test,
> wouldn't that be it?  It passed.  Move on to the
> next step.
>
> Not being a smart a**, just curious.  Am I
> missing something here besides Engine Dysfunction?

I beileve most operators will do a test for themselves to check for obvious problems before calling in the FRA for the official test. I have not seen any indication that Ed was planning to do that. One of his minions posted on facebook that the FRA inspector was due in this last week. Not to speak for him, but Jack W.  posted on another board that 844 would not even hold water at atmosphere, let alone under pressure.

Date: 05/22/16 04:38
Author: co614

Mr earlier offer to wager $ 1,000.00 ( even money) that the 844 will not be done as advertised stands. Please PM me if you want any part of the bet. So far no takers.

Ross Rowland

Date: 05/22/16 05:31
Author: Emmo213

JeffC Wrote:
> The real word I was told from
> those who can be trusted is that the 844 failed
> the hydro badly, with multiple leaks.

If so I'm surprised that wasn't posted here in it's own thread. That'd be huge news.

Date: 05/22/16 05:45
Author: RRMike

The first hydro was done last Monday. The one with the FRA Inspector was done on Tuesday, there were no showers of warm water.

Date: 05/22/16 05:54
Author: HotWater

JeffC Wrote:
> You must have listened to the official propaganda
> line from Ed.  The real word I was told from
> the hydro badly, with multiple leaks. Anyone
> still believing that the 844 will be done for CFD
> is living in fantasy land.
>
> Jeff

To be correct, it didn't "fail the hydro", as they never even got to the point of running the hydro pump. The general accepted practice, at least for all other steam operators/re-builders, is to fill the boiler, while releasing any/all air from inside through the top vent valve, then allow the city water pressure (house water or nearby hydrant) to slowly build, all the while checking for ANY leaks. Once city water pressure (maybe 125psi, or less) has been allowed to sit at a steady state, and assuming there are absolutely NO LEAKS WHAT SOEVER, then the hydro pump can be hooked up/started, and slowly brought up to 125% of rated maximum working pressure.

It should be pointed out that all theses steps SHOULD be done well prior to even notifying & scheduling the FRA inspector to witness the "official" hydro test! Logic would dictate that you wouldn't want your operation to look like fools, with water running out of a number of places while simply "filling the boiler", when the FRA inspector walks in to "witness the hydro".

Date: 05/22/16 05:56

RRMike Wrote:
> The first hydro was done last Monday. The one with
> the FRA Inspector was done on Tuesday, there were
> no showers of warm water.

So sorry but, I don't believe THAT for one second!  You were actually there and witnessed it?

Date: 05/22/16 06:06
Author: Realist

They are still working on it to correct the multitude of leaks that plagued the first several hydro attempts. It's something they would have do if they ever hope of passing a real hydro.

Date: 05/22/16 06:25
Author: kurt765

JeffC Wrote:
> You must have listened to the official propaganda
> line from Ed.  The real word I was told from
> the hydro badly, with multiple leaks. Anyone
> still believing that the 844 will be done for CFD
> is living in fantasy land.
>
> Jeff

Oh it just doesn't stop does it. Someone posts current photos and presents what Ed says at the official shop tour so that we can discuss it here and that automatically makes them a cool-aid drinking Ed supporter. At least that's what you are implying here, Jeff.

Date: 05/22/16 06:49
Author: EastRailfan

kurt765 Wrote:
> Oh it just doesn't stop does it. Someone posts
> current photos and presents what Ed says at the
> official shop tour so that we can discuss it here
> and that automatically makes them a cool-aid
> drinking Ed supporter. At least that's what you
> are implying here, Jeff.

No, I never implied anything regarding the original poster being an Ed supporter.  I simply pointed out that the propaganda being given out during the tour claiming that it passed its first (or any) hydro test is WRONG. As others have also posted, attempts at hydro testing the 844 have failed due to multiple leaks

You can continue to whine every time someone posts some real information on what's going on, but it won't change the facts.  I fail to understand why some people are so quick to believe anything and everything coming out of Cheyenne, when the last several years of BS and failed deadlines have become the new norm.

And as I said in my first post, anyone still believing that the 844 will be done for CFD is living in fantasy land.

Jeff

Date: 05/22/16 07:15
Author: NKPBernet

JeffC Wrote:
>  I fail to understand why
> some people are so quick to believe anything and
> everything coming out of Cheyenne, when the last
> several years of BS and failed deadlines have
> become the new norm.

Because Steve Lee's crew built that kind of credibility for the UP Steam Program. Its unfortunate the current leader has not respected the machines, the work, or the program.

-Dave

Date: 05/22/16 07:40
Author: BAB

I wish all would give it a rest after looking at the pretty paint job I think they did a wonderful job, well of painting, dont see any runs or thin spots. Great Job Ed, of painting ONLY.  For others I only listen to a few on here, one being HOTWATER as he and a few others have been there done that. They even got the T shirt.

Date: 05/22/16 07:46

BAB Wrote:
> I wish all would give it a rest after looking at
> the pretty paint job I think they did a wonderful
> job, well of painting, dont see any runs or thin
> spots. Great Job Ed, of painting ONLY.  For
> others I only listen to a few on here, one being
> HOTWATER as he and a few others have been there
> done that. They even got the T shirt.

Thanks!  Spent about 17 years as a contractor with the previous, i.e. Steve Lee, team and I DO INDEED have a couple of REALLY nice T Shirts & open-color "golf" shirts. Which I don't wear anymore, since January 2011, for obvious reasons.

Date: 05/22/16 08:34
Author: filmteknik

Of course if you are DL you would claim "passed" means only it met expectations and all the leaks on the first attempt at merely filling are expected.*  He can twist that one any way he wants.  But passed for the FRA the next day?   Sounds like a lie.

Current Page:1 of 4

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0751 seconds