Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Steam & Excursion > ATSF 2926 Update -July 9, 2016

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/27/16 17:31
ATSF 2926 Update -July 9, 2016
Author: Cumbresfan

Much of the same work as previous updates - air brake work, small bore piping cleaning and painting, sander pipe installation. New is hydro pressure test equipment for testing superheater bundles in pairs. Another air test was performed on the boiler revealing some problem areas remain. The boiler contractor rerolled remaining tubes and flues not previously addressed; they are confident these will hold pressure. Some flexible staybolt caps are still leaking and reconditioned caps are being replaced with new ones and new annealed copper seals. Electrical work is ongoing behind the scenes including preparation of new schematics as needed and ordering components. Other site work is occurring including placing shims under rail over our work pit, and electricans completing wiring outlets and exhaust fans in the new engine house. Full details can be found at the link:
http://nmslrhs.org/Status/status.php?week_no=201628

New photos show fuel line installation, air pump work, flue and tube rerolling, car mover engine work, kitty pictures and placement of kitty barriers to prevent engine house entry (a one-way kitty door was also installed to let any trapped ones out). It also includes the full 20-minute video of the dedication of our new engine house.
http://nmslrhs.org/Photos/2016/07-09/index.html  Engine House finish work, Car-Mover repairs and other on-going work.

Sometimes our Facebook page has photos and video not posted on the website. That is the occasion this week where a nine-minute video tour of the engine and our work site was given by a young member. So visit the link to view the video and photos.
https://www.facebook.com/NMSX2926/

Webpage location and alternate:
http://nmslrhs.org
http://2926.us

And, as always, memberships are available and donations are welcome. Visit our "How to Help" page:
http://nmslrhs.org/Help/howtohelp.php

Photos:
1. Our CMO rebuilds the car mover carburetor.
2. Building the kitty barrier at the engine house door.
3. Morning kitty feeding.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/16 18:04 by Cumbresfan.

Date: 07/27/16 19:40
Re: ATSF 2926 Update -July 9, 2016
Author: boomer

Do they ever plan to put the correct style lettering on the tender?

Posted from Android

Date: 07/27/16 21:58
Author: Hillcrest

boomer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do they ever plan to put the correct style
> lettering on the tender?
>
> Posted from Android

Really? No, Really? This is what you have to say about the massive effort and commitment of this group?

Unbelievably disturbed by this sort of idiotic comment,
David S. Thon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/16 22:04 by Hillcrest.

Date: 07/27/16 22:07
Author: davew833

I believe it's just vinyl lettering, so replacing it wouldn't be a problem. The tender was restored first to hone the skills of the restoration crew. I agree it's relatively unimportant, but with the attention to detail the 2926 group is putting into the restoration, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets changed when time and funds permit.

Edit: According to this post from 2013, the group plans to correct the tender lettering at some future time:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,3246402

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/16 22:10 by davew833.

Date: 07/27/16 23:15

Oh get over it.

Hillcrest Wrote:
> boomer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Do they ever plan to put the correct style
> > lettering on the tender?
> >
> > Posted from Android
>
> Really? No, Really? This is what you have to say
> about the massive effort and commitment of this
> group?
>
> Unbelievably disturbed by this sort of idiotic
> comment,
> David S. Thon

Date: 07/28/16 04:29
Author: Finderskeepers

I think one of the best things I've heard lately from the group is that they had another break in, but that the new security system worked. An armed response team was there in minutes and nothing was taken this time. The investment is paying off.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/28/16 06:40
Author: co614

Reminds me of the time in Buffalo NY in 1969 as we were on our way with the Golden Spike Centennial Limited pulled by restored NKP 2-8-4 # 759. When we rolled to a stop in Buffalo and were getting set-up with the portable stairs we carried to allow folks to go through the 759's cab a foamer approached me and in a very animated way let me know what a travesty it was that we painted the 759 in special GSCL livery but also that all 15 cars were also painted blue. He instructed me to get the 759 repainted into traditional NKP scheme asap and with that did a 180 pivot and disappeared into the crowd.

It was an early lesson to me that there's always one wing nut in the crowd ( ala Boomer above) and now matter what effort you go to, nor how great your achievements are, someone will find a nit to pick vs. congratulations for all that's gotten done. It was a valuable lesson for me as it taught me to ignore the wing nuts and just carry on.

Sincere congratulations to the 2926 gang for years of dedicated effort.  Ross Rowland

Date: 07/28/16 06:46

Why go through all the trouble to restore something as big and complicated as a steam locomotive, only to half ass something as simple as lettering.

What those folks are doing is great, awesome stuff so far...but I do want to see ATSF heritage done right.

Yeah, I know....I should donate money or volunteer. Not much I can do working in train service many states away.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/28/16 07:02
Author: ddg

I've put up my money for this project over the years, so I can say whatever I please. I understand the tender lettering will be replaced eventually. I just hope they can resist the urge to paint the tires white, and install stainless dog dishes. 

Date: 07/28/16 07:22
Author: CPRR

More importantly guys.......

If you feed the cats, do they still do their duty as vermin hunter? Nothing worse than rats in the machinery

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/28/16 07:50
Author: co614

Like I said, there will always be the Boomers in every crowd.  Just ignore them.

Ross Rowland

Date: 07/28/16 08:04

You mean people with opinions?

co614 Wrote:
> Like I said, there will always be the Boomers in
> every crowd.  Just ignore them.
>
>     Ross Rowland

Posted from Android

Date: 07/28/16 08:15
Author: Stevo_Weimario

Not too long ago, Boomer wrote, "There is a difference between being a railfan and a railroader.....stay on your side".

Well, many of the the fine folks rebuilding the 2926 probably aren't railroaders, just dedicated volunteers and railfans...

Perhaps you should stay on your side and not be so critical of those doing the real work. You can just continue being a railroader.

S_W

Date: 07/28/16 08:16
Author: NKPBernet

Hillcrest Wrote:
> boomer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Do they ever plan to put the correct style
> > lettering on the tender?
> >
> > Posted from Android
>
> Really? No, Really? This is what you have to say
> about the massive effort and commitment of this
> group?

If you are represenative of the type of people involved, then I will re-think my donations this year. Get over yourself. Most people I've interacted with have been friendly to these types of inquiries. However, responses like this one from those involved or donors me want to take my money elsewhere. This question was perfectly valid, and was obviously no intended to offend or take away from the work done. You know.. you should ask yourself this.. "are you the type of person who would take a classic car, you know, the barn find of a lifetime, spend the time to get it running great, and then do a half assed paint job from home depot and be offended when anyone noticed?"

Listen, restoration means different things to different people. There is a prevailing attitude lately where, just getting running is enough, I get that. However, for detail oriented people, correct colors, lettering, and other details (such as missing mars lights and white walls/striping on certain UP engines) matter to people, even if it doesn't to you.

boomer Wrote:
> You mean people with opinions?

Boomer, you know you can't have an opinion, much less a different one! :-D

-Dave

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/16 08:30 by dbesade.

Date: 07/28/16 08:42
Author: Frisco1522

WTH?  I though it was an innocent enough question.  I've wondered the same thing myself.  Another operating ATSF engine running around in the wrong livery comes to mind as does a certain Frisco 4-8-4 with bling and incorrect lettering.
Somebody always has their panties twisted.   Get over it.

Date: 07/28/16 09:10
Author: wcamp1472

Re: co614....

Reminds me of Don Smith's "Funny Files"..... Where Smitty kept the funniest of the "whacko" written comments...
HICO's office manager, back in the day, kept a file folder for letters from the 'opinion crowd'  .....knee-slappers, and belly laughers every one......

Comments from the millions of viewers of the operating engines, as well as observers on T.O.,  are the resulting risks of doing your "work" in public.  The wise course is to "Always consider the source"....  AND,  compare the comment with their level of physical labor committed to the restoration participation, OR, their monetary support of the engine restoration-effort that's drawing their critique.   To give your opinion weighty consideration, make a significant monetary commitment ...it adds comparable credibility to your expressed opinions

So, many of these opinion-mongers think that their opinion is SO important, that we must ALL be made aware ------ of their narrow life experiences and their "oh, so-important views."

However, even Voltaire commented on the Right to Comment by stating: "I may disagree vehemently with what you say;
BUT,  I will defend to the death, your right to say it."  

So, our tolerance of these petty remarks is the price to be paid for being movers and shakers... In the restoration endeavors.

W.

Date: 07/28/16 09:24
Author: jtbrandt

...Not to continue this well off topic drift...
I always view the comments which obsess about details which often seem to have little actual importance through the filter of knowing that people on the autism spectrum/Aspergers often gravitate to the transportation hobbies.
A little understanding of this should quell the reflex to mock them.

Date: 07/28/16 09:32

Well, I guess this whole mess actually is all my fault.

I suppose I should have danced around the subject and sugar coated my post as to not hurt anyones feelings. My fault.

As for staying on my side, yes I probably should from now on. Just remember, without any railroaders on your side where would yall play with your toys? I don't know of any preservation organizations that own any mainlines or sizeable branchline for that matter. You need our support, we don't need yours.

Good luck fellas, the 2926 sure is looking good. I hope the actual restoration group has thicker skin than those here on TO.

OP: Sorry to have derailed your thread with my mean nasty question, I have a rapid responder enroute for you.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/28/16 09:49
Author: Hillcrest

First of all, I'm not involved in the 2926 project and do not speak for them in any capacity, so please don't let my opinion effect your support of the group in any way. That being said,  I've followed the 2926 project since the start, and what they have accomplished is impressive to say the least. The tender was restored first while the group was "tooling-up" and gathering the skills to move forward with the locomotive, and the restored tender was also used to incite public interest (and hopefully financial support) for the project. IIRC, it was not the 2926 group who intentionally put the wrong style lettering on because they were stupid or didn't care, it was what was available at the time from the supplier of the vinyl lettering, and it was better than nothing for the public debut. They also have stated repeatedly that the locomotive and tender will be "finish painted" and lettered when all the mechanical work is done.
I do and have worked with steam groups in my area, and have a shared philosophy of "run 'em like they ran 'em, fix 'em like they fixed 'em" which I also apply to the antique trucks, cars, and tractors I've restored. I would never put gaudy paint or incorrect lettering on any of them, nor do I condone anyone else doing so. What I don't understand is, why not throw these guys a bone before being critical? Would you stand before this hardworking group, or any other for that matter, look at what they've accomplished (it's a nearly finished 2900-series AT&SF 4-8-4) "Well, that lettering sure sucks..." I will admit tho, I probably flew off the handle a little fast on 'ol boomer, sorry Bro...
Cheers, Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/16 09:57 by Hillcrest.

Date: 07/28/16 09:54
Author: NKPBernet

Hillcrest Wrote:
> First of all, I'm not involved in the 2926 project
> and do not speak for them in any capacity, so
> please don't let my opinion effect your support of
> the group in any way.
Fair Enough!

> IIRC, it was not the 2926 group who
> intentionally put the wrong style lettering on
> because they were stupid or didn't care, it was
> what was available at the time from the supplier
> of the vinyl lettering, and it was better than
> nothing for the public debut. They also have
> stated repeatedly that the locomotive and tender
> will be "finish painted" and lettered when all the
> mechanical work is done.
Then why did you not simply say that to the poster who asked the question?

> I do and have worked with steam groups in my area,
> and have a shared philosophy of "run 'em like they
> ran 'em, fix 'em like they fixed 'em" which I also
> apply to the antique trucks, cars, and tractors
> I've restored. I would never put gaudy paint or
> incorrect lettering on any of them, nor do I
> condone anyone else doing so.
Then why be so critical of someone asking that very question?

> What I don't
> understand is, why not throw these guys a bone
> before being critical? Would you stand before this
> hardworking group, or any other for that matter,
> look at what they've accomplished (it's a nearly
> finished 2900-series AT&SF 4-8-4) "Well, that
> lettering sure sucks..."
I don't think that is what the user did there. He simply asked  a question, which, in my opinion and given the timeframe the group is in (near the finish line), an appropriate one. One I was actually a little curious about myself.

> Cheers, Dave

-Dave

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1513 seconds