Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Steam & Excursion > The Changes This Railroad Has Gone Through Are Quite Apparent!

Date: 09/21/16 03:37
The Changes This Railroad Has Gone Through Are Quite Apparent!
Author: LoggerHogger

Occasionally certain railroads went through dramatic transformations that are apparent when they are visited a few years later.  Such was the case when this photographer stopped by the Southern Pacific rail yards in Wendal, Nevada in 1929.  The telltale signs of what this railroad had gone through just 2 years earlier are scattered through the scene in this desolate spot.

The first rails to visit Wendal came in years earlier in the form of the narrow gauge Nevada-California-Oregon Railroad.  That line was eventually bought out by the Southern Pacific and added to SP vast railroad system.  Then in 1927 the decision was made by SP to convert the entire NCO system to standard gauge.  This was quite an undertaking but in just a few months the job was done.

By 1929 when this photo was taken the standard gauge conversion was complete.  All that remained of the narrow gauge system that once existed was the small NCO #3 and a few narrow gauge cars used as out-buildings in the yards.  #3 would soon be loaded on a standard gauge flat car and shipped to Sparks where she would languish for years before finally being cut up.

Time marches on at Wendal, but her narrow gauge history still lingers.

Martin

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/16 07:37 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 09/21/16 07:34
Re: The Changes This Railroad Has Gone Through Are Quite Apparent
Author: Betsy

Wendel, as noted in the photo.  I don't believe there is a Wendal (at least a place named that) in California.

Thanks, I do enjoy seeing photos fro that area, one of my favorite places.

Elizabeth

Date: 09/21/16 07:43
Author: TonyJ

Unfortunately, Wendel looks worse today.

Date: 09/21/16 09:00
Author: callum_out

Although with a few more trees.

Out

Date: 09/21/16 09:09
Author: mcfflyer

Great photo to share, Martin.  I've been to Wendel a number of times, but not since all of the rails were lifted.  Sad to think what used to be there.

Lee Hower - Sacramento

Date: 09/21/16 09:24
Author: Evan_Werkema

Ol' number 3 has a lot of tender to live up to there.  Looks like it was delivered with a more conventional square tank:

http://www.urbaneagle.com/nco/nco-16.jpg

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0492 seconds