Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Steam & Excursion > ORHF Holiday Trains w/ Daylight 4449

Date: 12/06/16 08:28
ORHF Holiday Trains w/ Daylight 4449
Author: NKP779

As someone who lives 2000 miles away, all I ever see are photos of the 4449 on the train with Christmas lights.  Could somebody fill in some of the details about how long of a run, what sort of consist, Santa and elves on board, cookies or silver bells, interior decorations etc?  

Last Saturday I was at the Dennison, Ohio, Depot Museum's trips and was overwhelmed by the extent of the production, 40 elves per trip (maybe 4 or 5 per car),  live reading of the POLAR EXPRESS book in each car, hot chocolate and two blocks of lighted miniature buildings with 34 live people waving at the train as it arrived at the North Pole!.  

I am usually more interested in the history of the passenger cars, etc. but Dennison was a complete experience.

1225 would be the same questions for me............I have been up there at other times of year but never for their Christmas trains.

Date: 12/06/16 09:40
Re: ORHF Holiday Trains w/ Daylight 4449
Author: CPRR

Good questions and I too would like to know

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/06/16 11:18
Author: asheldrake

consist = Round End (Gilmore), Plum Creek ( a coach converted into a lounge car), 6200 coach, 6800 coach, baggage car (Gordon Zimmerman) and Mt. Hood sleeper/lounge.   Boards at Oaks Amusement Park station and runs approximately 40 minutes on the Oregon Pacific Railroad in SE Portland, Oregon.... Elves, Santa and car hosts on board, Santa gives away candy canes.   gift shop sales, hot cooca sold by UP retired folk, and waiting area in large tent....lots of free parking.   brief info.....more if you want it.    Arlen  

Date: 12/06/16 12:05
Author: NKP779

How about more info?  How many miles, and on whose tracks?

Date: 12/06/16 13:52
Author: callum_out

As mentioned, the tracks belong to the Oregon Pacific and I'd guess the run is less than ten miles each way,
correction appreciated.

Out

Date: 12/06/16 19:23
Author: flash34

It's about 3 1/2 miles one way.

Date: 12/06/16 19:47
Author: train671

This has become a Holiday Family Tradition with many families who love the experience.  Thousands
show up each year to ride and enjoy the joyous experience.  I believe that most of the train tickets
for upcoming weekends have already been sold out.  Definitely an experience worth taking part of
if you are within driving distance of Portland, Oregon.  The engine and cars are decorated up and
sparkle at night and then there is the cold weather and the excessive amount of steam put out as
the engine takes off.  Great for little kids and the abundance of smiles is just amazing.

Date: 12/06/16 21:07
Author: SomethingsInMyEye

Here are a few glimpses from previous years of something other than the 49...

1. View of the train and Portland, OR from the bluff above Oaks Bottom. In the foreground is the wetland and Oaks Bottom Wildlife Refuge. (Big hint: look this up on Maps to follow along with this story) The train is sitting at Oaks Park Station on Oregon Pacific Railroad tracks facing south. The trip will depart almost on the hour southbound to SE Spokane Street, reverse north up to the Ross Island Bridge (Oregon Rail Heritage Center and the OPR yard is a little farther north crossing Caruthers Street,) then head south/forward to the station. Behind the train in the not-so-great cell phone photo is Oaks Amusement Park, the Willamette River, the southwest hills, and downtown Portland. 2015

2. and 3. Consist is the same as listed above by Arlen, through the curves near SE Holgate St affords nice views of the train and the entire route is along Springwater Trail and the Willamette River. Both images 2013

Date: 12/06/16 21:20
Author: SomethingsInMyEye

4. View from the platform of the Oregon Pacific Railroad caboose looking through the open baggage car doors to the wildlife refuge. 2012

5. They may have many elves, we have bald eagles. The real station master. 2015

6. Round end reflection. 2016

Date: 12/06/16 22:00
Author: dcautley

Facts:

Not counting the locomotive, there are about 3500 lights on the outside of the train, probably 1500 on the inside.
We buy zip ties by the 1000 count bag, and the lights by the wholesale case (24 strings per case).
With LED lights, the total load of the train lighting (including locomotive) is less than 8 amps.

And that's the easy part !

-dc

Date: 12/07/16 12:06
Author: hankster70

Polar Express in Dennison Oh  literally requires a cast of hundreds of volunteers and paid staff......goes 14 miles to Newcomerstown, Ohio.....  regularly attracts riders from 3 states .... a huge production for a little town that requires multiple EMT's on board , police protection at every crossing etc etc ......a few tickets remain for next weekend.....www.dennisondepot.org  .

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.045 seconds