Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Steam & Excursion > Nevada Northern Winter Freight 2017

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 02/23/17 14:49
Nevada Northern Winter Freight 2017
Author: Harlock

We had a very good weekend #1 at the NNRY this year.

For the first time since I've been going there, there was fresh snow on the trees near the machine shop overnight followed by a clearing up, so I finally got that shot, as did many others.

The weather was mixed high overcast on Saturday with some good moments that allowed us to shoot in different directions, then brilliantly clear on Sunday, so Mark and I made the call to get up super early for Steptoe creek at Sunrise which paid off in spades.

I've been posting daily pictures in a series to NNRY's Facebook page and I just finished editing the rest last night.

Here's three from the tree scene - a very different look for the NNRY which only has trees on the line in this one place, where the old main into downtown Ely comes into the East Ely Yard. The old main currently ends at the White Pine Museum. Originally it merged back with the bypass just before tunnel #1.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 02/23/17 14:52
Re: Nevada Northern Winter Freight 2017

Steve Crise did a wonderful job with the night lighting design as usual and I acted as his assistant. We choose to stay indoors due to sketchy weather Friday night.

In this morning it was still snowy until about 8:30 but I got this nice shot of the mightly ALCO RS-3, which is now back in service and MU-able with the other Alco.

Picture #3 is #40 moving past the RIP building after picking up her train.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 02/23/17 14:56

Can't resist, here is one more blasting through the trees.

#2 is at Lackawanna crossing. Since the railroad's history spans the better part of a century, you have ancient ore loading docks and a modern crossing signal in the same shot.

#3 is #40 exiting the South side of tunnel #1 with boxcars wreathed in smoke and steam. Normally there is about a 1 hour window in the winter in which there is sun on this face, but with the clouds it did not matter too much. We were there at the right time anyhow. The snow on top of the boxcars added a nice touch.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 02/23/17 14:59

#1 - we also took the RS-3 with the wreck train out to play with us, normally would be pulled by #93, but she is down for her 1472 day inspection and re-tube (and a bunch of other fixes while they are at it) Haven't played with the RS-3 in a while so nice to get some wild color in the shots.

Here also is #40 in the same spot - Gleason Creek Crossing. You can see the guardrail for the roadway in the background - I found pictures from the 1950s where it looks exactly the same, so no anachronistic troubles here.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 02/23/17 15:02

Photo 1 - here is a behind-the-scenes photo of us unloading near the mine Wye just before ruth, with a massive pile of tailings in the background that just dwarfs our train.

Part of the adventure is getting to ride on the train itself in the cabooses, outfit car and coach. There's nothing like sitting in the cupola and watching the plume of steam rise in front of you, with the rocking, rolling and noises that go with vintage train travel. Most of our photo locations are not accessible by car.

Photos 2 and 3 - going-away shots from that location that highlight the boxcars in glancing angle stormlight.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 02/23/17 15:04

Sunrise at Steptoe creek. An example of the shot variety that can be had from the same location.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 02/23/17 15:06

Photo 1: At Mosier cut, just a few hundred feet up from the previous location.

Photo 2: Bill the conductor on NNRY's restored wood caboose, and Outfit car 06 leading.

Photo 3: Wiping the engine.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 02/23/17 15:09
Author: refarkas

Amazing photos. What beautiful images!
Thanks for sharing these treasures.
Bob

Date: 02/23/17 15:09

Photo 1: this one is a good fake-out. It looks like the Rotary is steamed up, but it is in fact #40 coming up from behind on the track over. Just snapped it at the right moment.

Photo #2: #40 for real, coming past the coaling and water towers. By the way, anyone got a cool million? We could make the coaling tower functional again.

Photo #3: the snow train and the RIP building, looking a bit like a model railroad.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 02/23/17 15:13

#1 - #40 and boxcar train way out on the adverse branch. Good salt-and-pepper on the mountain.

#2 - #40 stopped and posed in the cut on adverse. This cut used to be a tunnel long ago.

#3 - Kurt Deitrich blasting out of Tunnel #1 with engine 40.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 02/23/17 15:18

Photo 1: this is a scene that Steve Crise set up to make an image for the fundraiser to restore #93 and #81. He is actually cutting on a piece of scrap, so no worries the smokebox is still in-tact. :)

Photo 2: Last picture. This is Dirtball. A formerly orange and white cat who lives in the engine house and machine shop. Even though he can't quite get clean due to his surroundings, he is quite happy and friendly and spends most of the winter in the heated machine shop. His brother is not quite as friendly and there is a short haire grey cat there as well at present. Al Gledhill, former CMO who is no longer with us liked to feed strays and these are descendants of his flock.

Thanks for looking!

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/17 15:18 by Harlock.

Date: 02/23/17 15:22
Author: DonWinslow

Hey Mike, ya knocked it outta the ballpark on this bunch. Best I've seen in a long time. Missed ya out at Pomona this last night shoot. 

Don Winslow
Glendora, CA
http://www.donwinslow.net/Railroads

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/17 15:23 by DonWinslow.

Date: 02/23/17 15:25
Author: nycman

Thanks, Mike, for your usual fantastic photos of the Nevada Northern.  What a treasure it is.

Date: 02/23/17 16:10
Author: callum_out

MIke, gorgeous pictures and a lot more interesting than the RS-3 sitting at Keystone some 45 years ago.

OUt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/17 18:53 by callum_out.

Date: 02/23/17 16:10
Author: mfmalk

Mike,

As always an incredibly tasteful and intriguing set of photographs from your cameras.
The snow trees on Saturday morning was worth the trip alone; pure magic. You nailed it!

Great seeing you again, thanks for leading our group...
Matthew

Date: 02/23/17 16:31

mfmalk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mike,
>
> As always an incredibly tasteful and intriguing
> set of photographs from your cameras.
> The snow trees on Saturday morning was worth the
> trip alone; pure magic. You nailed it!
>
> Great seeing you again, thanks for leading our
> group...
> Matthew

high praise coming from you! Glad we got to shoot twice together in one year.

Until next time...

-M

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 02/23/17 17:34
Author: agentatascadero

Too bad this treasure is located so far from "everywhere".  I've really enjoyed my two visits.  I especially enjoyed the nice shot of old Dirtbag.  AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 02/23/17 18:08
Author: jfrank39

Beautiful pics.  How cold was it there?

Date: 02/23/17 18:55
Author: Odyssey

Thank you for such a GREAT post and set of images ... very nicely done!
Ely truly is a magical place and the NNRY has done s fantastic job of making
things real!

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 02/23/17 19:22
Author: weather

Absolutely superb images, many thanks!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.105 seconds