Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Steam & Excursion > 844 - good photo spot(s) btw Pocatello-Ogden?

Date: 04/21/17 15:03
844 - good photo spot(s) btw Pocatello-Ogden?
Author: xcnsnake

Hello steam enthusiasts;

The railroad Gods have smiled on me and I find myself on vacation next week, so I'm gonna head south and catch UP 844, hopefully dep. Pocatello on Tuesday am, or: plan B, static when its laying over at Ogden.

Where might someone unfamiliar with the subs. involved find the money shot(s) - I know any pic of live steam these days is a money shot;) - btw Pocatello and Ogden?

Thanks in advance

Greg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/17 15:04 by xcnsnake.

Date: 04/21/17 16:17
Re: 844 - good photo spot(s) btw Pocatello-Ogden?
Author: Nomad

There's pretty good scenery to be found by taking Old Highway 91 from Inkom to McCammon, Id. Sun should be good in the AM too.
Red Rock Pass, south of Downey, ID on US 91, is decent.
There's a tunnel and a couple trestles in the Bear River Canyon near Cache Junction, UT, but access is difficult.

xcnsnake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello steam enthusiasts;
>
> The railroad Gods have smiled on me and I find
> myself on vacation next week, so I'm gonna head
> south and catch UP 844, hopefully dep. Pocatello
> on Tuesday am, or: plan B, static when its laying
> over at Ogden.
>
> Where might someone unfamiliar with the subs.
> involved find the money shot(s) - I know any pic
> of live steam these days is a money shot;) - btw
> Pocatello and Ogden?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Greg

Date: 04/21/17 16:25

Thanks Nomad:)

A recent look at logistics might mean I may end up missing that leg and catch her at Ogden and points slightly east; however your info is much appreciated if i can make it for Tuesday am.

Date: 04/22/17 07:11
Author: bobdavis

The US 91 overpass near Swan Lake is a great spot, especially in the afternoon, but the weather next Tuesday looks to be cloudy, even maybe rainy, so sun angle shouldn't be a problem. Of course it was supposed to be cloudy with showers last Wednesday when the 844 ran west from Rock Springs, but thankfully that forecast was wrong!

Bob

Date: 04/25/17 11:34

Well that was quite the rodeo! After a 14 drive from the Great White North and a fitful "sleep" in my truck on a side street near the yard last night, I was up at the crack of 0600... Bob and Nomad, thanks for the tips though she (844) kinda left me in the dust
as I blew a turn just outside of Pocatello:) did catch up before McCammon though. pics to follow when I'm home -- but posted a few to the S.T.E.A.M. Facebook group if you're so inclined.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0354 seconds