Home Open Account Help 203 users online

Steam & Excursion > SP's reefer traffic in the June Gloom led by AC 4259

Date: 06/16/17 16:12
SP's reefer traffic in the June Gloom led by AC 4259
Author: Barstool

Its June 1955 and the reefer traffic is just taking off, in mid May, the emty reefers would begin out of Roseville to Watsonville for spotting in Salinas....SP would number each reefer block as SV...(Salinas vegtable) and in June 1955, the numbers went from 1 to 1370...cranking out two and some time three reefers a day that would follow train 52 thru Martinez, departing watsonville around 4 a.M....In this shit, 4259 has crossed Ferry St. In Martinez and is digging in, wasting no time for the climb to the bridge...4259 was from the Sacramento division and now working on the Western division.....

Date: 06/16/17 16:23
Re: SP's reefer traffic in the June Gloom led by AC 4259
Author: wcamp1472

That's a ROARING HOT fire!!!
And that's No Sh!! !!!

W.

[ Did everybody miss the typo on line 4???]
W.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/17 17:37 by wcamp1472.

Date: 06/16/17 17:25
Author: CPRR

I like all of the cab forward photos you post, but this one rocks!!!

I am to young (60) to ever hear one of these. God I wish we had the money to replicate one.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/16/17 17:36
Author: Barstool

CPRR.....I've been looking for a time machine, so I could relive those days, but so far no luck.....

Date: 06/16/17 17:57
Author: Goalieman

Were the cabs of these locomotives completely set up for the fact that both the engineer and fireman were facing the opposite way of the crew of a traditional locomotive? Gauges, valves, etc. all mounted around the "windshield"? Did the engineer "push" the throttle instead of "pulling" it? I've always been curious. Any info appreciated.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0342 seconds