Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Steam & Excursion > T&NO 2-10-2 in Houston

Date: 06/23/17 20:12
T&NO 2-10-2 in Houston
Author: Frisco1522

This subject has been quiet for a while. Last I heard, the group was formed, organized and in negotiation with the city of Houston.
I've heard that the army of local politicians and bureaucrats have muddied the waters and it sounds like the engine may either be scrapped or moved somewhere where it will be inaccessible.
Our organization went through something similar when we were trying to negotiate for the Frisco 4500 in Tulsa.
I'm not sure what delight these people get out of complicating things like that. You would think the city would be happy to have it out of their hair instead of fighting it.
I know the person who is the head of the group and can vouch for his organization skills and knowledge.
Maybe bombarding the city government with emails or snail mails would help the cause.

I'm from the gubmint and I'm here to help.

Date: 06/23/17 21:07
Re: T&NO 2-10-2 in Houston
Author: tomstp

Is the 982 in danger of being scrapped. It was moved from a park in 2005 to the baseball stadium the last I heard.

Date: 06/24/17 12:53
Author: Txhighballer

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is the 982 in danger of being scrapped. It was
> moved from a park in 2005 to the baseball stadium
> the last I heard.

I can honestly report that she very well could be, unless a new home for her can be found. The land on which she sits has been sold, and the City Of Houston has no place to move her to.

I'm president of the Texas Railway Preservation Association, and we have been trying to work with the city for the past couple years to acquire the locomotive and overhaul her for excursion service. An overhaul site had already been secured and written permission obtained, so we have a place to move the locomotive to. On top of that, a couple of railroads had shown interest in hosting the 982.

What is happening now is this. A presentation was made to the City, showing them what our vision was...a facility very similar to what ORHF have done in Portland and what NKPRHS is doing with their Headwaters Junction project. I even provided them with contact information, projected costs of the overhaul and construction . The City Of Houston has not followed up on any of the information provided, and in their latest communication from two months ago, wanted a firm site, and RAILROAD COMMITTMENTS before they would be willing to do anything. They have been told more than once that is not how things are done, and once again, I provided them with information as to how these things are done. They have done nothing with the information.

The locomotive now sits on land which has been sold, and the city does not have a place to put it, nor the money to move it, which means scrapping in place. There is a rumor the locomotive would be used as the centerpiece of a restaurant complex operated by the Fertitta brothers, which would literally entomb the locomotive.

The City will not sell or lease the locomotive either, so in my opinion, the 982 is in absolute peril, from either scrapping or permanent entombment. A press release was sent to every television and radio station in town, and Trains Magazine. Not even so much as a phone call to inquire about the press release or to talk about the status of the engine.

Right now, the situation is in limbo and serious jeopardy. If anyone wants to send the City Of Houston an e-mail or letter, here is the information:

Tom.Davis@houstontx.gov
Andy.Icken@houstontx.gov
sylvester.turner@houstontx.gov

Date: 06/24/17 12:54
Author: jointauthority

The tender for this one was sold by the city to a tourist rr wasn't it?

Posted from Android

Date: 06/24/17 12:57

That is correct. We have sourced not one, but two tenders which would work quite well behind the 982, and provide more fuel and water capacity as well.

Date: 06/24/17 13:04
Author: jointauthority

Well maybe y'all should just steal it, they wouldn't notice.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/24/17 13:13

Trust me, I would if I could. Moving the locomotive is in the six figure range, plus the city won't give us title...

Date: 06/24/17 16:37
Author: Frisco1522

Politics and egos and stupidity. Unelected bureaucrats muddying the water. Typical.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0447 seconds