Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Steam & Excursion > R&N 425 on Sept. 2nd & 3rd

Date: 09/12/17 18:55
R&N 425 on Sept. 2nd & 3rd
Author: OCtrainguy

Over the Labor Day weekend, Reading & Northern 425 had the honors of pulling the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway trains. Being the last weekend before my daughter started school, I figured we'd make a weekend out of it. The weather wasn't the best, but we made the made of it. We got up to Jim Thorpe in time to see the eleven o'clock train leave the station. We rode the one o'clock train, opting for the bicycle option back to Jim Thorpe and arrived back in time to see the three o'clock train leave. On Sunday, I caught the first train of the day in the lower Lehigh Gorge State Park and also photographed the return trip from the bottom of the Glen Onoko Falls. As usual, the 425 did not disappoint. Here are some photos.

1. The first train of the morning leaving the station area
2. After arriving back in the station, the engine runs around the consist
3. At Old Penn Haven, the train has stopped, the bicycles unloaded from the gondola and the engine runs around the train

More to follow..

Date: 09/12/17 19:00
Re: R&N 425 on Sept. 2nd & 3rd

Continuing the photos..

4. The three o'clock train putting on a great show as it leaves Jim Thorpe
5. On Sunday morning, the first train of the day rolls through the rock cut in the lower Lehigh Gorge
6. From the bottom of the Glen Onoko falls, we see the train crossing the Lehigh River as it heads back to Jim Thorpe

I have two videos to share next..

Date: 09/12/17 19:09

Two videos of the 425 from the weekend.

7. The three o'clock train leaving the station on Saturday. From our bicycle ride, we arrived back to the parking lot just as the train was about to leave. I used the roof of the truck as a stand for the video camera while I used my camera. Like the first train of the day, the departing steam engine set off someone's car alarm.
8. On Sunday morning, a walk in the Lehigh Gorge State Park was in need to photo and video the train coming through the rock cut area. The train sounded great in this part of the gorge.

Hope you enjoy the photos and videos!

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/12/17 20:14
Author: africansteam

Kudos to you sir! Thanks for posting!

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 09/13/17 03:41
Author: andersonb109

Wishing for a another photo charter with this fine loco in weather that isn't: a. freezing cold. and b. isn't freezing rain, sleet, rain, etc. making for about the most miserable day of shooting I've ever done...Feb. 2015.

Date: 09/13/17 20:46
Author: Mgoldman

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wishing for a another photo charter with this fine
> loco in weather that isn't: a. freezing cold. and
> b. isn't freezing rain, sleet, rain, etc. making
> for about the most miserable day of shooting I've
> ever done...Feb. 2015.

The only "bad" weather is no weather!

/Mitch

PS: Nice shots OCt!

PSS: Speaking of weather and 425 - did ANYONE chase
Saturday's sunny day excursion from Mountain Top to
Jim Thorpe?? Have not seen a single pic.

Date: 09/16/17 01:43
Author: RailRat

Absolutely Astounding Pics and Video! For Steam Photogs and Video, Bad Weather=Awesome!

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 09/16/17 06:00
Author: jkh2cpu

Nice freeze-your-butts-off shots there, Mitch.
They have a nice amount of Christmas flavor :-)

John.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0649 seconds