Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Steam & Excursion > Kauai Plantation Railway

Date: 10/19/17 21:59
Kauai Plantation Railway
Author: wpamtk

Took a trip to Kauai recently, although I wasn't able to be there the week of Grove Farm's monthly steam operation. However, we did take in the Kauai Plantation Railway, a 36" gauge tourist operation at the Kilohana Plantation (historically, the railroads on the island (such as Grove Farm) were 30" gauge). They were using a GE 25-tonner recently acquired from the Georgetown Loop (1st photo), and also got what I believe is a 23-tonner (2nd photo), which may not be operable. They still have their prior 25-tonner #20, but Whitcomb #10 is gone.

The 3rd photo shows a railroad bridge still extant in the town of Kapaa, complete with 30" gauge track embedded in the concrete.

Date: 10/20/17 02:57
Re: Kauai Plantation Railway
Author: cozephyr

That's what you call one solid bridge. Thanks for sharing you Kauai Plantation Railway images. Didn't know it was operating.

Date: 10/20/17 07:30
Author: Railpax71

There are lots of railroad remnants to be found on Kauai. Rails of the Ahukini terminal railway in the pavement near the airport, and their arch concrete bridge at Hanamaulu. Grove Farm has a steamup day once a month of 30" equipment on rebuilt track near the old Lihue Plantation mill.

Date: 10/20/17 09:24
Author: Harlock

Found this old crossing at at the Koloa sugar planatation. Amazing place. Now used for ATVs and ziplines and the like.

I missed seeing that bridge.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/17 09:24 by Harlock.

Date: 10/20/17 10:20
Author: kilroydiver

Thanks for posting, on my first trip to Kauai years ago, I stumbled upon the bridge in Kapa'a. You can also see the old dirt RofW as you leave town and head north.

Dave

Date: 10/22/17 17:46
Author: jbwest

Thanks for reminding about the trains on Kauai. My wife is hoping I will take her there again, and this time I need to make sure I check the Grove Plantation schedule before making our reservations!

JBWX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0865 seconds