Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Steam & Excursion > Here's Three More From the Nolan Black Collection

Date: 02/20/18 13:24
Here's Three More From the Nolan Black Collection
Author: tehachcond

4. 4-12-2 9078 handles this westbound at Gateway, Utah, at the entrance to Weber Canyon, a few miles east of Ogden, Utah in a September, 1937 image by Dick Kindig.

5. 4-12-2 9081 moves through the yard at Green River, Wyoming in 1955. I'm a little suspicious of that date. Can anyone help us out here? That's a Pacific Railroad Society special in the depot.

6. Elderly 2-8-8-2 3560 plods its way west near Green River in 1948.

Thank you for looking, and as always comments welcome.

Brian Black
Castle Rock, CO.

Date: 02/20/18 14:03
Re: Here's Three More From the Nolan Black Collection
Author: skyview

Nice images, particularly the 2nd one. Nice to see them.

Date: 02/20/18 15:12
Author: nycman

Your dad captured steam as it was back then, with the locomotives showing the wear on them. Sure brings back memories of my childhood watching steam in service. I was too young to have a camera back then, but sure wish I had understood what was happening, with diesels showing up more and more.

Date: 02/20/18 15:27
Author: jbwest

Great to see images like this see the light of day. Hopefully more folks will dig stuff like this out, scan it, and share it. So much fascinating history. Thanks.

JBWX

Date: 02/20/18 15:45
Author: overland28

Brian,

Thanks for posting. The 2nd photo with sleepers lettered PULLMAN cannot be 1955. The Two-Tone Gray cars were re-lettered with railroad names circa 1949/50.

More passenger train photos will be appreciated.

Date: 02/20/18 19:28
Author: BuddPullman

overland28 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brian,
>
> Thanks for posting. The 2nd photo with sleepers
> lettered PULLMAN cannot be 1955. The Two-Tone
> Gray cars were re-lettered with railroad names
> circa 1949/50.
>
> More passenger train photos will be appreciated.

The set out Two Tone Gray RPO Baggage car is also in the photograph of the streamliner behind the C&NW E7 at Green River, labeled as being 1947. That may be the same date for the photo referenced here.

Date: 02/20/18 19:39
Author: raytc1944

Not so. Heavy weight Pullmans were so lettered for years after 1948 and1955 for that matter. I would frequently see them in Sunnyside rare of the PRR.

Date: 02/21/18 07:44
Author: SilverPeakRail

The two tone grey cars are an Imperial Series 4-4-2 on the left and an American series 6-4-6 on the right, judging by the window locations. It is great to see so much of Nolan's work displayed here. I knew him in the early 1970's through Pacific Railroad Society, and his photos were really something to see. Keep them coming Brian.

B. A. Black (no relation)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0551 seconds